View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Simple Runic Divination 
Site Admin

Most divination techniques across the planet are designed to produce simple yes and no answers to questions.

Does anyone here use the runes in that way only? And what technique do you use?

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:28 am

I used to read Tarot, and would ask more complex questions. One could argue that the Runes are the original Tarot. Although I am not well-versed yet, I am working towards mastery of the Runes (this will likely take a lifetime for true mastery). I would think one could certainly find answers beyond yes or no, although the simplest questions usually provide the most accurate answers.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:47 am
Site Admin

I am always drawn to the simple. That, perhaps, explains why I use the Younger Futhark only.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:22 pm

To be honest the elder seems more simple to me in some ways. Even the visual appearance is both basic yet powerful.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:15 am

As for divination, the closest thing I do, which may or may not count, is dream interpretation. I do not always dream, but when I do, it is nearly always with purpose, not always clear on the surface.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:48 am

In tarot (I used Crowley's Thoth deck), I never sought yes or know answers. It was more abstract, with the cards revealing the subtle influences surrounding the question, allowing me to meditate and almost subconsciously process the information. A definitive 'yes' or 'no' would suggest that all variables have been accounted and calculated, which I see as a feat of Perfection. I prefer to gain a more fluid understanding, rather than a Divine answer.

As I learn the runes, I hope to be able to continue in that fashion.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:26 am

I have used the runes for a type of divination I suppose, during this time I was isolated from resources, confined to a limited space, and new to this path, but I found materials in which I could carve the elder futhark and colored them with my blood and cast the lot onto a small white cloth I was able to get my hands on, I looked to the north since that seemed most natural and the elders of my family had told me that our people came from the northern door, and while focusing and directing thought on a particular concept I drew 3 runes, 1 for the past, 1 for the present, and 1 for that which would become, and I focused on the runes and my understanding of them in a way which encapsulated the pattern that the footsteps of the past brought me to the eternal present and that understanding and action solidified the future out of the fog, i have had great success with this practice, so much so that it is atonishing

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:23 am

I actually have a idea of carving runes in a branch that I found off my apple tree. It is a beautiful wood and will be great to carve into. IS this ok to do these runes myself or should I buy them from someone?

Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:05 am

Eir_Sif I would use the apple tree branch. I have a set of elder futhark runes that I carved from a cherry tree branch that I cut up into disks. The tree had been struck by lightning and a 'salvaged' some wood from it. I have enough blank disks left to carve a set of younger futhark runes.

Jack Wolf in "The Way of the Odin Brotherhood" states:
Quote:
The runes must be cut from the wood of fruit bearing trees. Crow continued "They should be cut with a sharp blade, marked with blood and dedicated at night. They should be kept in a dark place when they are not in use and as a matter of fact, I have heard that the members of the brotherhood prefer to read the runes only at night.;

I have only recently tried using the runes for divination purposes. I use the three rune method. I have had something come to pass after asking one question, not quite the way I expected. Several other things I have asked about are, pending, so to speak.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:22 pm

Well I was looking it up, I do this a lot ask a question then turn around and find the answer soon as I look it up again. I think that making your own runes makes you connect to them spiritually and make them special to you only. I am more then likely going to teach my fiance how to create his runes and help him soon as I complete mine. right now I am taking my time to understand the runes and which gods and goddesses are connected to them. I had the option to buy a set of runes, to be honest I rather just make them myself that way i know what they mean.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:25 pm
Site Admin

Creation is always better than purchase.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Well I have the branch in to disc I am gonna let the wood dry some before I go into engraving. I had enough to make my fiance some as well. I didn't think I would have enough to make him some as well. So right now I am going to educate him on the runes and read more about them. Then one night I will sit down and create them when I am ready. I am using the Elder Futhark I seem to understand and enjoy these runes more then the new. don't get me wrong I will be learning the newer but it will take me some time.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:10 am

I usually use the runes on a daily basis. I pull one rune for the day ahead and at the end of the I see how this relates. May not be the oerfect technique in some peoples view but it's how I start out.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:38 am

I use the runes for councils of life, secrets of the world and the universe.

Fri May 30, 2014 5:00 am

I tend to treat the runes as something for important questions, not trivial, everyday questions. Usually, the questions I ask are to confirm already intuitively, or logically what I already know. And certain questions are better asked at sacred times. For example, it is believed in some lore that the eve of the Summer Solstice is a good time to do divination in regards to questions about love. So, at that time I asked the runes a simple yes or no question about whether to pursuit a relationship. And the runes came back as Gebo, Ansuz inverted (murk stave), and Raido inverted. And when I gazed upon them I heard a voice say, "She will only communicate chaos and confusion." And she did, and continues to. So, that relationship was a no go.

Anyway, for a simple yes or no question, I try to feel around in the bag for three runes that "vibrate/tingle" in my hand after asking a question, then I throw them onto a white cloth, as Tacitus indicated in his work Germania.

If I want to ask a more in depth question for myself or someone I'm reading, I have myself or them reach in and throw three runes three times, with each row representing past, present, and possible future outcome in relation to the question. The runes were made by myself, and stained with my own blood.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:52 am
Profile YIM

I am still getting a feel around the runes as they have recently made it very clear to me that they need to be in my life, now. I am currently only working with the Elder Futhark.

I have a bowl that I keep my runes in and I will pull a rune a day and then see how that rune has played out in my life for that day at the end of the day. I will center myself and with a clear mind, as clear as I can get, I will mix the runes around gently in the bowl for a few short moments. Then with my eyes closed I will brush my hand over the runes and I'll feel a tugging towards some runes. Some of the runes that the tugging feeling comes from are heavier than the others, and I'll usually try and go for those ones. I'll pull just one and hold it in my hand while glancing at the rune, but I am mostly listening to what I am feeling from the rune.

For example, I recently drew Jera, but it was heavy like the weight of the world crushing it. It was hard to concentrate while holding onto it. Upon combining that with the meaning, my understanding is that I have not put in enough effort to go forward with my 'harvest'. I still went to all my appointments today, but, weary of the outcome. To this moment I still don't understand why Jera felt so heavy and it was hard to concentrate while holding it. I probably need to put fourth more mental effort and concentration into my purpose and not let the world be so overbearing upon me in order to get the results I need. Hmmm . . . well I guess I just found my answer. *Chuckles*

So I would say that I get more than a yes or no feeling so far from runes. At least with the rune a day readings.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:03 am

i actualy wanted to ask this question... what do you use runes for? i thought it's for writing only but it seems some use them for divination and stuff like this.. were they always used that way? cause some say it's just a modern practice

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:46 am

I would like to temporarily revive this thread.

I used to read tarot for personal use. To me, the tarots possessed no power. Instead, I felt and believed the tarots were a middle-man, designed to clear our thinking and show us perspective we hadn't considered.

Take this for example. Let us say you ask the tarots: "What will happen if I take this job offer?" and within your spread, under the section for "future" is the fool. The fool can be interpreted in many way. Usually, however, a specific interpretation is reached in regard to the other cards in the spread and ESPECIALLY the circumstances in your life. In this scenario, perhaps you interpret the fool as being "potential." This is a legitimate interpretation, as sometimes the fool represents the start of a journey. We are all born fools, and we are all born with potential. Now you believe that the cards are telling you this new job has potential, neither negative or positive, or perhaps unknown potential. This is not the cards telling you this, but rather, your mind sort of realizing new potential.

The cards are flawed, however, and can give bad advice, or, if the user believes in the power of the cards too much, said user might force a perspective out of a bad spread, leaving him with useless and deceitful information.

I have not delved into the runes too much, but I have a very basic understanding of how they are used, at least in one way. I know that writing a rune down on paper, or carving it into wood, and then burning said rune with some sort of intention in mind can have the power of that rune unleashed. Whether it is powerless and acts like the tarots, or whether there is true power in the runes themselves that doesn't inherently exist in us is unbeknown to me. Of course there are rune stones which I have very, very little knowledge of. Can anyone reccomend a good book on runic magic, and perhaps, the best place to buy rune stones when creation isn't an option?

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:17 pm

Hi - I too am just starting my Rune journey. I have purchased runes here (via Etsy) https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/VikingCrafts and am waiting on their arrival. Check the previous threads here on the site, there are many books recommended.

Good luck brother. I look forward to hearing how you are progressing.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:10 am

I would recommend simply reading as many sources as you possibly can and spending time with the runes yourself. By doing this you will come to understand which authors to trust and which ones to avoid as well as finding the truth of the runes.

I will also offer this just in case you have not heard it elsewhere - if somebody tells you there is a "blank rune" you should be extremely skeptical of what else they believe.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next