View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Decided 

Wayfarer wrote:
8-j wrote:
Yeah. I don't know where this idea of Odinism being a DNA/blood thing even comes from. I don't see anything written in the Eddas about it.

Look again and you will see that there is a direct reference to the sacred bloodlines...

For silence I pray, children from the holy races,
From Heimdall's sons, both high and low;
Thou wilt, Valfather, that well I relate.
Old tales I remember of men long ago.

This is from the Poetic Edda NOT using the Benjamin Thorpe translation (which is neutered-folkish).
So here we see that the encompassing way of European racial ways was firmly in the minds and hearts of our folk and is resurgent once more. :)

The love of parents for children and children for parents is a social thing. DNA is a modern concept. It has no place in an ancient religion.

The reason we are all bound together to our ancestors is because the soul doesn't stop existing at death. The relationships between parent and child, and other family continues in the afterlife. Even an adopted child would have the same connection to their adoptive parent as a blood child, if their relationship were sincere.

Think about it. The gods probably bear zero genetic relationship to humankind. Yet they relate to us. It would be somewhat hipocritical to base our relations in DNA and then expect to have kinship with a race that has no blood in common with ours.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:06 am

I understand ancestry and choosing something that is ancestrally linked. I certainly wrinkle my brow at white folks who call themselves "Indians". Odinism isn't destined to be the only religion in the world, that isn't even desirable. My hope is for all people's to reclaim their gods - the Mexicans their Aztec gods, the Slavs their gods, etc.

That said, racism is a Christian/Judaic/Islamic concept. It is the diversity I spoke of above that is central to polytheism. Racial superiority is part of the "one god, one nation, one race" theme that monotheists hold so dear.

Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:19 am

I think Native Americans understand the concept of culture over genetics very well. For example, one of the chiefs in the the early wars between American settlers and native Americans, one which made Andrew Jackson's reputation, was named "Red Eagle". The leader of the Red Sticks offensive. His other name was William Weatherford, and he was only half native. Yet the people of his tribe followed him as a chief.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Weatherford

You can choose your culture. That is part of will to power. It is part of shaping your own destiny. But the choice you make has to be sincere, or you are shaping nothing at all. Most people would probably choose the culture of their family, because that's where your closest connections lie. It's where your heart is.

DNA, however, is a 100% purely passive concept. If you make your decisions based on DNA, then you're just letting fate make up its own mind for you.

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2