View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Cannot Get a Grasp on Runes 

I need some assistance with Runes.

I have read a lot about them and their purposes.

I have a obtained a set of both types.

I have not shown them any disrespect or misuse.

My problem is how to build a relationship with them, or make them a part of my life?

I am befuddled, and at a stand still.

Comments?

Sun May 24, 2015 10:14 pm

First I would encourage you to be patient. The runes are not something that you can just pick up and start using. They are both a mystery to be unlocked and the key to their own unlocking...that can be quite frustrating.

You will find an extremely wide range of advice about the runes so for what it is worth here is mine:
Start with one single rune. There will be one that captures your interest more that the others. It may be that you like the way it appears, the sound of its name, or possibly what it symbolizes to you. This is the rune that is calling to you, the rune that is in effect offering to guide you. This rune is also most likely already at work in your life, you may just not realize it yet.

Next, study everything you can find about this rune. Read all the opinions of different "rune masters", authors, crackpots and regular people. You will encounter different, and often conflicting, thoughts. That is fine because while on one level each rune will have a common, universal meaning as you enter into a deeper relationship with them you will discover that they each have hidden facets and that everybody sees, them each in a different light.

As you spend more time with this single rune you will begin to see how it interacts with the other runes. This will lead to a gradual progression of insight.

Again, be patient. It may only take months but it could require years, the one thing I am certain of is that it will not happen overnight.

Good luck Viggen, it takes dedicated effort but it is worth it.

Sun May 24, 2015 11:38 pm

Tyrsman wrote:
First I would encourage you to be patient. The runes are not something that you can just pick up and start using. They are both a mystery to be unlocked and the key to their own unlocking...that can be quite frustrating.

You will find an extremely wide range of advice about the runes so for what it is worth here is mine:
Start with one single rune. There will be one that captures your interest more that the others. It may be that you like the way it appears, the sound of its name, or possibly what it symbolizes to you. This is the rune that is calling to you, the rune that is in effect offering to guide you. This rune is also most likely already at work in your life, you may just not realize it yet.

Next, study everything you can find about this rune. Read all the opinions of different "rune masters", authors, crackpots and regular people. You will encounter different, and often conflicting, thoughts. That is fine because while on one level each rune will have a common, universal meaning as you enter into a deeper relationship with them you will discover that they each have hidden facets and that everybody sees, them each in a different light.

As you spend more time with this single rune you will begin to see how it interacts with the other runes. This will lead to a gradual progression of insight.

Again, be patient. It may only take months but it could require years, the one thing I am certain of is that it will not happen overnight.

Good luck Viggen, it takes dedicated effort but it is worth it.

Thanks for this informational post Tyrsman, your knowledge is always valuable. Just for clarification, what if several runes are calling to you?

Mon May 25, 2015 5:42 am

I am glad if you can find something useful in my thoughts. In the event of being pulled by several different runes I would probably say that it might be a good idea to start with the one that you feel is having the most influence in your life at the current moment. You can always study them together and see how they interact with one another but that allows for more confusion that addressing a single rune at a time.

Just out of curiosity and if you do not mind sharing, which runes do you feel pulled to?

Mon May 25, 2015 7:04 am

If you cannot get a grasp on the runes, then "shelf" that quest until you have a better grasp on the way.

Tue May 26, 2015 4:11 pm

When I felt the runes calling to me it was a clear and definite push. I heard the call of Algiz and when I first meditated on this rune it was penned onto a 3x5 card with red marker . Cheesy I know but the experience was unforgettable. At first I felt no connection no elation, no enlightenment. Then I spoke the words "I believe in your power." This instantly filled me with a spiritual "blast" as it were that flooded through my entire body.

As I began to study the other runes, I hit walls with some of them and shelf them for another time. upon hitting my first wall I clipped a solid seeding lilac branch from my back yard and set to creating 1 inch diameter 1/2 inch thick tokens upon which I burned the runes onto the wood with a soldering iron then soaked in linseed oil. the manual process of spending a definite effort on each rune helped a great deal in my studies and being able to visually and physically feel the runes as I learn best by visuals and doing.

I hope this helps. It is a struggle and can be frustrating but each rune I "unlock" only leads to a deeper understanding of my ancestors and shows me that I only have much much more to learn.

Wed May 27, 2015 2:12 am

An Update:

I have "shelved" the issue of Runes for the time being, and feel the better for it.

I asked a question in another thread regarding an individual's particular affinity for one Deity
and what goes into that decision.

After much reflection, I think I am developing at least a basic understanding and a lot of respect for Heimdall.
His role(s) seem to be grounded in matters I am better at than some others, with a longer term
approach to observing, gathering information, and supporting or learning information or reasons not to support the actions of other gods. For want of a more all encompassing term, Heimdall seems both Noble and a supporter of the Common Folk. A rather rare combination not seen often in this World.

Cheers.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]