View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Corrections by elders? 

I am from a small branch of Odinism and apprenticed to be legal clergy. However, I come from my own Odinist family who raised me with Our Gods.

I do not know what to do- In my family (and other families like mine) Loki was a benevolent figure and given as much respect as any of the Aes. But, in the "main community"- even the public part of my small community- people pretend Loki worship is Verboten.

Here is the problem- the very same people who "correct" me by saying Loki worship is NOT part of our traditions- are the same people who have held sumbel to Loki with me multiple times.

The correcting elder actually witnessed my Oath to Tyr to improve Loki/Loke's reputation.

I appreciate your wisdom on this matter.

I was raised very "Dutchy"- and respected elders, in a sense, declared tradition as equal to reality. (What Nana says, is what is...etc.) So, having this imbalance is disturbing to me.

I cannot forsake a God for the opinion of others... but how do I navigate this socially?

Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:18 am
Site Admin

Worship is servile, so the Brotherhood never worships. We honor the gods and goddesses.

Loki, a giant and blood brother of Odin, is respected by us. The idea that he is "evil" or a "devil figure" is a Christian idea, not a Brotherhood one.

The ancient pagans --in all traditions --never had devils, although pagan gods do have their "dangerous" side.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:21 am

That's a difficult position to be in. It makes me glad that nobody who knows me is aware of my relationship with our gods. When I have to defend my gods it is done from a philosophical standpoint. Instead of trying to convince somebody that chaos is not "evil" I only have to explain my viewpoint that it is simply part of the natural order of things.

I am pretty certain that the percentage of people who are extremely close-minded about religious issues is the same in Odinism as it is in any of the monotheistic religions.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:58 am

Tyrrienne what you experience is somethign really similar to what happend with me once in Sweden where i lost 2 friends a couple of Asatruars because i mentioned i respected Loki. Many people do not accepeting , respcting or worshiping Loki.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Flavio_Sverige wrote:
Tyrrienne what you experience is somethign really similar to what happend with me once in Sweden where i lost 2 friends a couple of Asatruars because i mentioned i respected Loki. Many people do not accepeting , respcting or worshiping Loki.

That is eye-opening, because my greatest supporters are Europeans.

And when I say "Worship"- It's not on bowed knee. It's just the term I'm used to for "paying divine respect"- usually by sharing a meal with the altar outside for the vaetirr and by talking.

My family bows before no one... that they did right in teaching me.

Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:43 am

If they treat Loki as the "devil", then they are wrong and still need to do work.

If they disconnect from you because they have not left their monotheist baggage behind, that is their loss. Do not stray your course to appease the weak.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:43 am

Thank you, Brushwolf... you are right.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]