View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Runes 

I have never looked into the runes at this point. What is the best read on the subject? I use kindle most of the time.

Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:07 pm

The best way to learn about the runes (imo) is by reading primary sources of our lore. The runes, and examples of their power can be seen even when not directly mentioned. And of course, meditating and interacting with them.

I don't particularly like using them for divination, but many people do. I prefer to work with them in Galdr

Last edited by Vitki on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:18 pm

When I first began to seriously study the runes I read as many books as I could find. I learned something rather important from the works of the experts, those widely acclaimed as well as the self-proclaimed experts - the runes are different for everyone. While there are some characteristics that seem to be consistent for all, I have come to believe that much of the true power of the runes comes from the individual. Your experiences, your nature and mindset, and indeed your orlog and wyrd are what the runes interact with. This is a journey that should not be rushed, and while you can use the experiences and knowledge of others to help put your own into perspective, it is a journey that has to be uniquely yours. Many people become frustrated after studying the runes because they can't achieve the same results that they have read about from others. I feel very strongly that this is because what they are trying to replicate is somebody else's highly individual experience.

Once I came to this realization, I decided to thoroughly understand the role each of the runes play in my life. I dedicated one month to each rune (since I use the Elder Futhark, for me it was a two year process) and re-read everything I had plus anything else I could find about that individual rune. I spent time considering all the various opinions of each rune and comparing them with my experiences. Once you have a general idea what to look for you can "deconstruct" events from, and aspects of your life and find where the runes have had influence or where you would have benefited from them. Once you do this you can start incorporating them into your daily life. After you understand the role they play in your past and become proficient at using them in the present, the next step is to use them to understand and even shape your future.

I do not use the runes for divination but rather to assist me with particular endeavors. I primarily use a form of meditation/self-hypnosis to "charge" myself with the power of an individual rune or set of bindrunes, sort of the reverse of howsome people use their blood to put their personal essence into their runes.

No matter how you decide to approach your study of the runes I would strongly suggest that you start with one particular rune and let it become the foundation for the rest of your journey. Most likely there is one rune that calls to you. The one rune that you feel drawn to either because of its appearance, the sound of its name, what it already signifies to you, or some other reason - start with that rune.

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:09 pm

I agree completely with Tyrsman's approach. I am also a student of the runes and have been studying them only a short while. On the recommendation of others, I too read all that I can lay my hands on to learn different approaches and perspectives. I am a student of the Younger Futhark but have also read much on the Elder Futhark.

I have now come to the point where I am comfortable with using the runes and so often will draw three - the past (the rune will demystify the signs of where I have come from on a specific issue), the present (the rune will aid me in understanding where I currently stand on that issue) and the future (the rune will either help me reinforce my thoughts or it will open a new direction for me to consider, on the issue). This is not divination, this is guidance. As Tyrsman said, it is using my orlog and wyrd, making me more aware of my consciousness for a situation.

This works for me presently. I wish you luck in your studies. Storm

Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:56 pm

The most important thing I found before you even begin is to make and blood your own first set. A sturdy stick from a favorite tree (Oak and Ash are used commonly), a hacksaw with a good blade, sandpaper, and either carve, burn or paint ... and then blood them. In creating your own rune set, you begin the journey of learning them well.

I wish you good fortune in this endeavor!

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:00 am

I believe that the best approach is to read as many books as you can but then to meditate on each rune to develop your personal understanding. Regarding materials I think it is important to use whatever feels most comfortable, I for instance rarely use wood.

Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:09 am

When you study each individual rune and meditate on them as others have suggested, you begin to notice runes in every day life. You also notice what they are related to. I am in landscaping and building. A couple days ago, I was trying to figure out how to brace my roof, where I reframed a portion of it. I am staring at my new post I put in (ISA) and figured out that I could put a ribbon up across the new rafters and run it from one end to where some arms come off of the post at a 45 degree angle, making it ELHAZ, the life rune. Now you will see visible life runes when you walk into my house.
ISA....the posts made my old roof more rigid, When I turn it into ELHAZ the life rune, it makes my new roof stable.
What's my point? Just that when you study each individual rune, you notice them many places. You think about them and try to relate to them in different ways.
As for my example, if you look at old German buildings, you can see different runes in the framing, especially ELHAZ.

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]