View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
How much of you're heritage is Norse/Germanic? 

Hi all. I've done a lot of reading about Odinism/Asatru, and how some people feel only Norse/Germanic people should practice. Now I'm actually only 25% Germanic (specifically Austrian) the other 75% is Lithuanian. And while Lithuania has its own form of paganism, it is my Germanic side that I feel most drawn to, so I practice Odisism. Sometimes I feel that maybe I'm not "Germanic enough". It sounds kind of silly now that I think of it.

I'm just wondering, what is everyone's heritage and do you feel that Norse/Germanic heritage is a prerequisite for Odinism? If so, how much?

Thanks friends.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:18 am
Site Admin

The 20th-century reconstructionist groups, such as the Asatru Alliance and the Odinic Rite, have made Germanic heritage a key component.

The Odin Brotherhood, however, claims to be far older than modern concepts of nationalism. Although we believe that heritage is important, we believe that thought, honor, courage, strength and friendship with the gods are more imporrtant.

One person here--someone who has been involved in the Odin Brotherhood for at least three years--is adopted. He does not know his biological parents because he was abandoned as a baby.

But the gods called him and we are proud to stand with him.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:42 am

I think what you’re describing, LW, is a fundamental misunderstanding (which may have been propagated for socio-political reasons in the 1960s & 70s) of the Völkisch view.

In the early 1900s a number of similar movements came into existence throughout Europe. The one most remembered, though, is the German model—hence the German name. The Völkisch movement originally focused on the self-identity of the German race. It was from this movement that various outgrowths ranging from political ambitions to artistic movements, from experiments in alternative healing to the Odinist & runic revivals sprang. The main criteria used to identify German-ness among these thinkers was one’s language of preference. In later years, though, many völkisch thinkers came to be associated with anti-Semitism and other such rot.

The greatest competition to the Völkisch movement in Germany back in the day was the Pan-German movement (note: Adolph Hitler became the best known representative of Pan-Germanism, competing with Erich & Mathilda Ludendorff representing völkisch thought). Pan-Germans took a much more biological view and it was this school of thought that lent itself to measuring cranium sizes and so forth. Today many hack writers will tend to confuse these two movements.

Decades go by. The fólkish movement loses the more national/ethnic focus of its predecessor. Somehow it morphs into the fólkish movement in English-speaking countries. The Fólkish viewpoint would tend to emphasize the blatant notions of the white race or vague reference to “Northern European peoples” in lieu of its earlier national/ethnic focus.

Here’s where the misunderstanding fits in. A healthy völkisch view does not say, “You’re not one of us so we don’t want you.” Rather, it looks inward and asks, “Where do I really belong?” Like all socio-political movements, though, once the proverbial ball starts rolling things quickly become something very different from the original intentions.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:52 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the reply. Its good to know that you don't let matters of heritage interfere. I think if the Gods call to you than lineage is not important. Although, part of my adoption of Odinism is because of ancestry, it feels like I am going back to basics in a way and following the way of life of my people before Christianity was forced upon them.

-[LoneWolf]

Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:53 pm

My last name comes from the French, but the owner of that name was three generations back. He married my great-grandmother and she was the youngest of immigrants from Germany, north of Berlin. That's my father's side. On my mother's side, my grandfather's line ties directly to Germany. I'm not sure about my maternal grandmother's line, but all in all, I'd estimate that I'm about 70% German.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:42 pm
Profile WWW

Well, I'm 1/4 Cherokee, an scattered parts German, Austrian, Irish, English, and who knows what else. I tried walking the path of the Cherokee people, and while I respect it, its not my path. I am a son of Odin, regardless of what my blood holds.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:40 am

Sorry boys and girls but you must be 100% Dutch and know the secret
of cheese the follow the path of the gods.
And dont forget to put on your woodenshoes so the gods can hear where
you are.

Regards,

Nevelraaf.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:59 am

Thanks for the reply. Its good to know that you don't let matters of heritage interfere. I think if the Gods call to you than lineage is not important. Although, part of my adoption of Odinism is because of ancestry, it feels like I am going back to basics in a way and following the way of life of my people before Christianity was forced upon them.

-[LoneWolf]

I wouldn't word it as "[I] don't let matters of heritage interfere", as it's a bit more complex than that. I think that heritage is very important. My mother's side is German; my father's is half Dutch/half Indonesian (from Java). I practice Irminenschaft in persuit of my Dutch/German heritage. The difference is that I use heritage as a means of finding my own place instead of using it as an excuse for some sort of divisive criteria.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Profile WWW

Greetings.

Sorry boys and girls but you must be 100% Dutch and know the secret
of cheese the follow the path of the gods.
And dont forget to put on your woodenshoes so the gods can hear where
you are.

Regards,

Nevelraaf.

This is the best response I've seen yet

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:23 am

Heritage includes language, culture, blood, and the influences of teachers on your thought. Do not underestimate your Germanic heritage.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:39 am
Profile WWW

Its not really about underestimeting your heritage but more how much does your Germanic heritage influence your connection with our gods.
Im also proud of my heritage(we have many dykes and being ruled by a queen while our country is straight).
But does that makes me a better Odinist?

There are many Asatruer/Odinist who are 100% Germanic but they utter alot of ******** like Odin is Yahweh,Odin is a Boedha and much more.
There are also those of 100% Germanic heritage who use the name Odin
for there own twisted theories and hatred and those who believe that Jezus is the only savior.

There are also people who have mixed blood like Cherokee or what ever other blood who are real Wodansmen.
So that is why I think that it is good to be proud of your heritage but foolish to see it as a key to the gods.

Regards,

Nevelraaf.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:11 pm

What really matters is what your calling is.

Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:10 am
Profile WWW

Im not sure your heratiage should really effect your belife on odinism. I am scandinavian(norway), Irish, Russian, British, and Native American with my largest recorded precent being Irish. My point in this is that at this stage in human history it is rare for use to be comprimised of ancestors from one geological region, and the blending of the worlds people have showed us a mixture of relgions which all atempt to do basically the same thing. It is more up to you to sort out which one is the truth for you rather then have it predetermind for you based on ancestory. I could go on for longer about this but it should be enough to say that i feel any good who turn their back on you because your ancestory dosent lead to the people who first recorded interaction with this being isnt a god showing us charecter traits worthy of a person i should respect. In the case of odinism, the ability to fathom the gods, hence associated human charecteristics with them, that first drew me to learning more about them. The awarness of respectable traits being present in both man and god brings to to belive that they can understand what it takes to be respectable rather then having an unfathomable god who i cant atempt to defeine without contradictions. Personability and relatabilty should be a good guiding point rather then heratige and preconseptions.

Wed May 27, 2009 2:54 am

I know that my family is largely German/Irish mix. Or at least, my mother's side is. My father's side is a mystery to me. Supposedly they're all dead, but I have no idea if that's true or not.

I personally don't see German ancestry as a prerequisite to following the Germanic gods. I believe they accept those who can prove themselves to be outstanding amongst men, regardless of heritage.

Wed May 27, 2009 4:21 am
Site Admin

For the record, we had, for a time, a Eurasian posting here. That is a person who is part Asian and European.

He seems to have drifted off, however, for he has not posted for at least 6 months.

In do know people who view Odinism as a kind of "European Shinto," or a traditional paganism for one ancestral heritage, but there is no "rule" on this."

Wed May 27, 2009 10:02 pm

it is also my understanding that odinism is a Scandinavian mythology not just a germanic one. The germanic people adopted the religion post iorn age germany but the roots are in norway, sweeden, demark, finland, and iceland which are all north of germany. So to say you must have roots in the founding cultures wouldnt mean you needed to decend from germanic tribes as much as scandinavias portion of europe. So if people could adopt the religon without heritage from back then i am pretty sure the gods wouldnt look down upon you today for doing so. Not saying that the spread of the religon did not go into germany just saying its not the origin of the religon. Vikings werent even german to begin with and they are the most famous for being linked to odinism.

Wed May 27, 2009 10:58 pm
Site Admin

My general opinion is that the Scandinavians, because they remained uncorrupted and barbarian longer than most Indo-Europeans, retained the old religion in its purest form longest.

Sun May 31, 2009 8:28 pm

i agree that they maintained the religon for a bit longer because rome had a harder time making it through the germanic forest however i wouldnt say scandanavians where barbaric for longer. If you mean the origianal term of barbarin then yes they were very none roman. If you mean uncivilised then no. They enter the iorn age before the germanic tribes and had civilisations more then small fractional tribes before the germaic tribes did. The first europeaners to land in america where scandinavian vikings. This shows their technological and astronomy acomplishments during that tibe period, as those to make the tribe also returned to their home land. Its late so this is all i have for tonight, but i would love to talk more about this odinbrotherhood on another day

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:30 am

When it comes to Norsemen being 'barbarians'...

Several documents from the viking age actually describe them as being overconcerned with cleanliness and appearance, going so overboard as to bathe and comb their hair every day.

Interesting that they're thought of by many as a society of savages that thought of nothing more than war and bloodshed.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:44 pm
Site Admin

Ragnargangleri, I want to be clear on this. The word barbarian, in Odin Brotherhood lore, is a compliment.

A barbarian is someone who is UNCORRUPTED.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next