View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
How much of you're heritage is Norse/Germanic? 

Hence the quotation marks around it. A 'barbarian' is different than a barbarian.

Or that's how I meant it. Apologies if it was taken as an insult.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:27 am
Site Admin

The Odin Brotherhood teaches that the the human race was better long ago, when we were pure and free.

In a sense, the Odin Brotherhood is an attempt to create neo-barbarians in this, our dying world.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:02 am

Hi, brothers and sisters
vast subject, here is my europe contribution here in France and can etre more , adds us confronted with common(current) Scandinavians who oppose d a highly-rated a current d ideas which asserts that l asatru are universalist the we feels(smells) lchretiene influence and , the other one quoted(esteemed) a tribal demand or l ancestry outdoes(subsidizes,dominates)
To light(enlighten) you more before I give you an example my own scenario my lineage my surname germanic is celebre and rented(praised) in Germania I arise from a big family of nobility sword by my father and before it my ancetres on battlefields and in the life overturned their blood and their knowledge for the people
By my mother stemming from the Spanish nobility I could think that j have a Celtic heritage without the name Castillant of my mere is origin Westgothen and my mere was of type sub Scandinavian
All this to say to you that in Europe family origin(stump) for between you of the new world in ete subjected to the admixture of the Scandinavians and the Germanics in Europe and it on siecles but Odinn Wotan recruits in its descent we are and shall remain his(her) sons(threads) and for our amerindien its part of Germanic blood is sufficient(self-important) in him to feel l call(appeal) of the big ase
We are the children of Thullé, about is our pen name nationality, and our country of residence we are above all freres welcome in the fraterieImage

Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:24 am

I'm 70 % German, 20% Scottish 10% Irish on my dad's side and on my mon's side it's 60 percent Scottish, 20% german and 20% Frankish

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm 101% Odinist! ;)

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:27 pm

This issue used to cause me some concern. However, it is because I was still learning of Odinism (which I still am and always will be). Now I take great pride in this.

I am 75% European and 25% Native American, of both Cherokee and Chippewa decent. My father half Native American, and his father full Native American.

I was once misled into thinking that only people of full European decent were favored by Odin, that Odin would not have anything to do with me, and that I was "tainted", but as I headed down the path of my quest of knowledge, I had realized that Native Americans were not much unlike our european ancestors that were oppressed by The Herd. Both were a warrior people who fought bravely for their land and what they believed in, and both were nearly overrun and nearly destroyed by the sheer numbers of The Herd. I then realized that Odin does not care about race, he cares about character of a man, and the ideals he lives by. He does not want me to be ashamed of my race, he wants me to stand atop a mountain top and exclaim my pride for it and who I am! To draw strength from it, who I am, and who my ancestors were and what they fought and died for!

I freed my mind from the chains that I had unintentionally placed on it, and shortly after I was called by the gods, and made aware of the Odin Brotherhood. Perhaps one day I will be called to do a Sojourn, we shall see.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:11 am
Site Admin

Coyote, who sometimes posts here, is part "Native American."

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:06 am

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
Coyote, who sometimes posts here, is part "Native American."

Oh, interesting.

I've read some of his posts and he seems very wise and prominent here. This is encouraging.

I look forward to seeing new insight from him.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:56 am

Hi

I new here and I´m not a American so bear with me if I misspels.
I´m from Sweden and when the family tree we are back to the 1300 hundreds, probely longer but before that It wasn´t kept any books of the citizens. Live in Stockholm who was named Birka during the Vikingtime.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:44 pm
Site Admin

Welcome, Onsdag. Your homeland in Sweden is a beautiful place.

Of late we have had some posters here who are advocating Odinism for northwest Europeans only. That is the personal opinion of the posters.

The Odinism of the Odin Brotherhood traces itself to the primordial hunters of the European Ice Age. I just wanted to clarify.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:00 pm

Onsdag, you probably do better than many Americans. ;)

My forefathers and mothers kept horrible records of our ancestry. But my maternal grandfather has been a wonderful and fruitful source for our family tree that I'm trying to reconstruct. My heritage consists of German, Irish, Scottish, British and Norwegian and probably a little more mixed Scandanavian. The Norwegian is probably pretty strong because my paternal great grandmother was from Norway. My paternal great grandfather definitely has Scottish and British in him. My maternal grandmother was all German and her husband is British, Irish and German. I love sorting our family history.

Odinism isn't about blood. There is an emphasis on heritage, because of ancestor worship. And the importance of blood because of the belief that the soul is contained in blood. But the Norse weren't about DNA and who's related to who. It was more of a culture than a race. And lets not forget the Norse and Celts intermingled so much that the religions even have similarities.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Phenixrose

You are totaly right, it´s a culture. The heden (or vikings) mixed with the celts and the germanic tribes and olsa the wen´t to todays russia and mixed with tje slavic.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Culture does not come solely from genetics. If that were true, the Abrahamic religions would not be so popular.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:50 pm

Right Skogkatt. Abrahamic religions maintain that all people are exactly the same; their culture and god are just better than everyone elses. Pagans aren't like that. But within paganism, there are different cultures but blood doesn't determine your religion.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:14 pm

I take most of my traits from my mother's side which was from Scotland and Germany. My father's side was mostly Cherokee.
Doesn't matter too much though. Although I'm proud of my heritage, the gods recognize us as humans and all the labels that our enemies use don't mean anything.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:40 pm

My mother's side is 100% Czech (hence my screen name).

My father's side is some mixture primarily of Scottish and Northern Irish.

I'm not sure if the Norse gods were ever worshipped in any of those locales, but who cares? Unless Odin himself says that don't want some West Slavic-Celt on his side, I don't see any problem. As others have pointed out, one does not have any say in where their ancestors came from. What we do now is what matters, where our DNA comes from is mostly just a nice piece for conversation and potentially inspiration.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:01 pm

Post Re:
OdinBrotherhood wrote:
Ragnargangleri, I want to be clear on this. The word barbarian, in Odin Brotherhood lore, is a compliment.

A barbarian is someone who is UNCORRUPTED.

Excellent point!

As one who was indoctrinated with beliefs of a false religion during my upbringing, I can appreciate the innocent faux pas folks make.
Even simple terminology used in every day language, when assimilated during childhood, seeps into adult life now and again!

Takes some shaking off, but it is so worth it.....
For example......When folks call me a Odinist, I thank them and really feel I am heading in the right direction personally, i.e. away from the sheep mentality.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:24 pm

As I understand Odinism, it has a lot to do with the heroic adventurer prevailing by overcoming obstacles. I'd say at worst a mixed lineage is just an obstacle, and any adventurer worthy of Odin would be determined enough to overcome it.

Conceding to a circumstance as trivial as one's birth status does not seem to me to be the way of an Odinist.

Let Odin tell you you are not worthy to be counted among his followers, and then do like "Innocent of Conviction" and defy him. If you are bold enough, I'm sure he will invite you to feast with him and the other gods. (Well, the other gods anyway. Apparently Odin himself doesn't eat solid food, just meade.)

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:08 am

It has been my understanding that the Norse gods are our eldest ancestral being, amongst many other things, but pertaining to this post id think it would be important to remember that. I am not an authority on anything, let alone Odinism, Asatru, Wotanism, Irmanism, or anytthing else, so my opinion is simply that, an opinion, but I do strongly believe that its important to atleast have some degree of Germanic or Nordic blood to follow this path, since culture and heritage are so deeply entwined it would seem only natural, but the reverred Aesir will summon whom they see fit and isn't up to me to decide, so be welcome dear kin

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:53 pm

Although the main reason I became interested in Odinism and Asatru was because of my ancestors I certainly don't think you need a cultural lineage to believe what you believe. As far as my heritage goes I'm entirely Celtic of which is made up of almost completely German, some English and a pinch of Irish that you can see in my reddish beard, and I will gladly welcome anyone to share in my ancestor's customs or be in my company!

Last edited by Ogmios on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next