View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Do you wear any Odinist symbols? 
Site Admin

Since I have the "markings," from my self-initiation, that would be my symbol!

I think it is good that we use a wide variety of symbols. As polytheists, we do not want to be monolithic!

Tue May 26, 2009 10:06 pm

I wear a solid silver axe pendant. It is double headed and so is in the shape of a Thor's hammer. I am led to believe that whilst the Vikings wore a hammer the Saxons (Esp in England) favoured the double headed axe. As I am English...............

Forest Walker

Sat May 30, 2009 12:49 am

I wear a Thor's Hammer at all times, only removing it to sleep and bathe. I also have it tattooed on my right arm.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:55 am
Site Admin

Regarding the Thor hammer medallion, this reminds me of an interesting point.

In earlier times, long before the Vikings, metal (especially iron) was believed to drive away spirits and supernatural beings. I believe there is tradition in Ireland that man and his metal drove the "faerie folk" away.

Also, in traditional masonic lodges, no one wore metal.

Yet, in our lore, notice that the gods use metal weapons, while the giants use rocks and clubs. There is meaning here.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:31 pm

Regarding the Thor hammer medallion, this reminds me of an interesting point.

In earlier times, long before the Vikings, metal (especially iron) was believed to drive away spirits and supernatural beings. I believe there is tradition in Ireland that man and his metal drove the "faerie folk" away.

Also, in traditional masonic lodges, no one wore metal.

Yet, in our lore, notice that the gods use metal weapons, while the giants use rocks and clubs. There is meaning here.

One of the implements of Eliphas Levi was an iron chain, used to keep harmful forces at bay.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:34 am
Site Admin

Magnus, as someone interested in occult lore, do you have information on the notion that the hammer of Thor symbolizes the "thunderstone" which falls from the sky, perhaps a reference to an iron-nickle meteorite?

Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:42 pm

I believe King Arthur's sword, "Excalibur" was forged with metal fallen from the sky...

Likewise, the pagan Grail, depicted in Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parzifal was a stone. It is called the lapsit exillis -- possibly a corruption of "lapis lapsus ex caelis", "a stone falling from heaven". It also bears similarities with the alchemist's "Philosopher's Stone".

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:58 pm

I wear the triple horn of Odin pendant. I am not 100% sure what its meaning is but I know it is a symbol of the All Father and it with he I feel closest, so I feel it is appropriate.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:26 am

It is a trinity, so it could be:

Odin, Vili and Ve

or

The three sections of the Yggdrasil: Low, mid and upper levels... each level having three worlds.

There could be more, but i don't recall more for the moment.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:12 pm

Post Re:
OdinBrotherhood wrote:
Since I have the "markings," from my self-initiation, that would be my symbol!

I think it is good that we use a wide variety of symbols. As polytheists, we do not want to be monolithic!

Not to be argumentative on purpose, but maybe you'd rather say, 'Odinists' Most ancient pagan religions (particularly of mid-east and europe) tend to be monolithic. Take note of the Romans.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:20 am

Dear Wynterwolf:

Quote:
WALKNUT
The proto-shape is three triangles set in a triangular pattern; the later valknut, or knot of the slain, is a sign of the Odhinnic cult. Wearing the valknut is a sign to Odhinn that one is ready to be taken into the ranks of his chosen warriors at any time he chooses. In this symbol you may see the interwoven workings of Urdhr- Verdhandi-Skuld, or of Odhinn in his many tripartite forms. Meditation upon this image is well worthwhile.

Source: http://www.scribd.com/doc/11555403/Teutonic-Magic (page 123)

Be careful with this sign, it means that you offer your life to Odin anytime. If you are aware of it, there is no problem. Since becoming a Odinist i started to fell better with myself, i fear no more to the unknown or afterlife.

I m not an Odinist, yet!

But i will to become one, I'm no longer afraid to death. I'm more afraid to pain, death is the least of my troubles.I don't got doubts about my believes or afterlife, so there is nothing to be afraid from. Also im aware that isn't a perfect paradise in the other side, we just live again with less struggles. I like it better that way.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:04 am

Hail Brother's,

i wear my symbols tattoed on my body i have Aegishjalmr, a Valknutt, a Sig Rune, a Raven and a Wolf.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:40 am

Thank you Garmr I did not know that but I doubt it will stop me from wearing it if the All Father sees fit to take me to Valhalla, it would be an honor. I don't know if I deserve the title "Odinist" yet but I don't fear death, at least not as an abstract idea. I have been in situations where I have acted quickly to avoid death but certain people avoid risky things because they see and fear death around every corner... I am not one of those people

Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:22 am

Well said brother, you aren't the type of people that quit when the situation is starting to turn risky.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:12 am

I carried to mjolnir during years, now is the rune Odal sometimes I change
on my heart a wolf is tattooed symbolizing my Germanic blood

Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:20 am

Well, i used to carry a Mjöllnir.

I haven't used the necklace for a while, I realized that wearing it or not doesn't really changes anything. I try to act and live upon the Nine noble virtues, and make myself a good renown. I believe that the Gods care more about it than wearing a necklace in their honor . Actions are what really matter to them.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:30 pm

Hail All,

Valknut For me... I proudly wear it. at all times. I used to wear a hammer, but have one now as another option, but I never take off my Valknut. Let that old fickle one eyed warrior Odin send his spear through it. I am aready... I choose to go to Valhalla, so if the spear is so launhed at anytime, what is this to me? In the end, it is a quicker trip to Valhalla! Who wants to live forever? To feast in Valhalla with the brave and the ancestors.... THAT is my lifes goal... or should I say afterlife's goal. WHEN that is is Odins will as far as I am concerned. The nornir may weave as they choose, but if Odin decides to run me through with Gunginir, I welcome it. I welcome it NOW. I welcome it any time! I go to valhalla Brothers and Sisters! I know the lore of wearing the Valknut. Let others take caution. I live to one day feast in Valhalla, if Odin chooses to take me, I go willingly. Otherwise, I could not truly say I am an Odinist. I would have to say I am a follower of an anceint religion that is concerned over when I should die and what happens in this ilfe alone.... WHAT kind of warrior worries about that? What kind of Odinist truly sits and fears that Odin may spear him and when?

No Brothers and Sisters. Our ancestors would shrink in shame if they truly heard us worry that Odin may Claim his own... I await the spear! I ask for it loudly and proudly! I wish to join the einnehjar. Here is my Vlaknut. I hope ole one eye can see the target well enough from the high seat. I may need to get a bigger one!

I do not make light of the lore on the wearing of the valknut. NO, I welcome the spear instead from the Alfather that he sends and as he chooses to claim me as his own. I am Odins. Odin Knows his own. So, if Odin decides the spear is to come... SEND THE SPEAR ALFATHER! I am YOUR warrior! Hail Odin!

Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:13 am
Profile WWW

I don't wear a valknot - I live in interesting enough times to want to wear something that we don't *really* know the meaning of but that *could* be like an 'insert spear here' sign. Survival has not always been something that has come easily to me and I have often found myself having to fight for my life.

Having said that, I am marked with an image of Odin on Sleipnir.

I also wear a hammer, amber and a berkano rune.

Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:52 am

I wear 2 Thor hammers and have 2 Thor hammers tattooed on me one on my chest and one on my right calve this is because I was in the military and I am an MMA fighter so I need protection in battle I have a Valknutr tattooed on my left wrist to also help in my battles when fighting in the ring or cage. I am new to the religion though so I may be wrong, but Thor is my main GOD as well as Odin of course.

Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:40 am

I have a carved Thors hammer that I now wear, mirroring the hammer on my left thigh. Though I am not done...I will get many more tattoos, but I consider each very carefully before getting it. That causes long gaps in tattoos.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next