View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Strange experience during sleep last night (dream?) 

Hello everyone,

I had a very strange experience last night, I would love to hear some thoughts from the members on. I hesitate to call it a dream, though in the strictest sense that is what it was.

This was a particularly vivid dream, out of the ordinary as of late for the simple fact that I dream most nights (when I can sleep) and they immediately leave me as soon as I wake. I have about 5 seconds of clarity and then it is gone, like dreams tend to be. This one however stuck with me when I woke although, unfortunately, as I consciously tried to commit the details to memory, I lost a few of them.

I was great friends (a fraternal feeling more so than friendship) with two individuals named Vili and Ve (self-explanatory), and a nameless trusted woman (almost maternal feeling). All the individuals resembled people I trust in real life (unfortunately, I cannot remember who they resembled exactly as I lost the mental image, perhaps it was unimportant or I just lost the image). There was a third brother of Vili and Ve who was not present, and was the subject around which the dream revolved. For whatever reason it was not made obvious in the dream who the brother was, nor did I see him in any detail, though it doesn't take much of a guess who that brother may have been.

During a party (feast?) at some unknown past time before the 'present time' in the dream, I witnessed something happen to the brother of Vili and Ve. It was after all of the other guests had left, the surroundings darkened and I was barely able to make out three figures standing ominously over the third brother, in the vicinity of a large fire and giant tree (as if I was watching from afar but the events were clear to me). The scene darkens to black (blindness?) as I become aware of a pair of dark sunglasses I am wearing, which happened to belong to this third brother. It is now the present time and I am now at the house of the trusted woman during an evening in the backyard at another party (feast?). I am telling people about what I had seen happen to this third brother (unknown), who made no other appearances in the dream. I am telling people with a great sense of urgency.

The next morning after the party, the brothers are gone somewhere and the woman is leaving (presumably to go to work or some other important activity). Behind the woman's house beyond the location of the party, is a large hill with a giant beige sandstone church on top with a huge tower/steeple possibly a hundred storeys tall in all. I start walking up the hill presumably to go to the church for some unknown reason. I enter the sanctuary where there is a mass taking place. The head pastor is speaking to the congregation about a news item regarding meat (unknown but presumably beef?) which was thought to be tainted with another type of meat. The pastor was explaining how it was nonsense and everyone was safe eating the meat, and they should give no further thought to the matter.

Following the mass (during which I have been standing at the back near the door) I am called by the head pastor to speak with him in private. To do so, I climb the huge tower. At the top landing of the tower it is open to the outside on two sides, with a chest height fountain (presumably water, however it was whitewater) coming straight out of the middle of the tower landing from a singular tube/pipe so that it is flowing over on all sides like a circle (not a waterfall type fountain). Beyond the fountain is a large room with high ceilings. In the middle of the room is a round table. Around the far side of the table sat three figures; the pastor, someone who is kind of ugly and mean looking, and a third which is shadowy (cannot make them out). In the middle of the table sits a semi-round tablet (headstone shaped and presumably made from stone, dark grey). Around the perimeter of the tablet runes are inscribed (not sure which runes), with a carving in the middle (cannot make it out). On the carving in the middle of the tablet sits a slab of what looks like ground beef, and a small trowel (size of a large fork) like a painter uses to spread oil paints on canvas. The pastor begins accusing me of making accusations regarding this third brother and telling falsehoods about what I "didn't see", and something regarding the slab of ground meat. Soon enough accusations of being drunk, trouble making and other slander.

I find myself now in the center of the room, the table is now gone. I am bound at the ankles and wrists, arms stretched out, but I am raised off the ground as if being hanged. The pastor is behind me with a long, flexible rod with some sort of point or blade at the tip and he begins whipping my back creating wounds. The shadowy figure is standing behind the pastor pretty much backed into a corner, remaining silent but I sense a very ominous feeling. The ugly figure is now in front of me with the tablet in hand, hurling obscenities at me and moving the ground meat around on the tablet with the trowel like he is going to use it as paint, or at least that is what I gathered from it. All of a sudden I have three gaping slashes/wounds on my chest. The ugly figure draws near, presumably to carry out some physical action against me.

I somehow free myself of the bonds and run back to the fountain where I pause momentarily. There is a giant bridge present, which appeared at one of the two openings to the tower landing, made of white sandstone (it appears) but very bright as the sunshine outside hits it; it becomes so bright it hurts my eyes to look at the bridge. The bridge extends directly from the top of the tower down to the top of the hill below. I run down the bridge and again down the hill back to the woman's house (I should mention, that I have the sense that Vili and Ve either live at the house with the woman, though perhaps as mother and sons, or that at the least Vili and Ve are frequent visitors welcomed into the home). The woman comes back and is deeply concerned over my wounds and wants to know what happened. As I am telling her, I am somehow drawn back to the tower, the pastor screaming down from the top of the tower, calling to me.

I cross the bridge (pretty much blindingly bright now), pass the fountain and am in a large L shaped corridor between the large room with the table and the tower landing with the fountain. The pastor is now coming close to me with a vessel (maybe 8" x 1.5' x 6" deep, rectangular with double round ends like tombstone shaped with additional round at bottom), filled with this ground meat which has become semi-fluid, still retaining its texture but is now able to be poured from the vessel. The pastor draws near and attempts to pour the meat over my head. I run back down the blinding -and now palpably hot- bridge and make my escape down the hill.

The dream ends there as I awake to a dull sound of metal banging; more like iron and not steel. (I woke up at 4:50, taken as a direct decimal of 4.5, half of 9?) A slow tap/banging like a drum or sword on shield, not super loud but definitely distinct coming from the far end of the hallway in my house. I am trying to commit the details of the dream to memory so I do not investigate the sound; we have cats so I thought perhaps they were mucking about. The banging stops around the same time I finish digesting the dream and committing as much as I can to memory. I got up to investigate what it could have been. The cats are all locked in another bedroom and I can find nothing that would make that type of dull iron banging sound.

Disclaimer: My wife suggested the sound perhaps could have been our refrigerator, however, I have never heard quite that sound, plus it sounded further away; time will tell on that count. Perhaps the sound was important or perhaps the dream was supposed to continue but I was awakened from sleep by a mundane sound from the fridge.

Any thoughts?

Stigandr Melrakki
The Wanderer, White Fox

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:49 pm

The dreamer is always the one best suited to find meaning in a dream but here are a couple of things I would give thought to if this were my dream.

- There is a possibility that you were seeing things through the eye of Vili and Ve's brother. It seems that only when he wanted you to see from a different perspective (via his sunglasses) were you able to see him. It would seem tberecis a sense of urgency for you to find him, even if only you feel it.

The rest of the dream seems to be an ordeal of some sort.

- Why would the pastor lie to his flock about contaminated meat? What does the meat represent to you? Is it a message that has been tainted with lies? How about the pastor, who or what does he stand for? Most likely an authority figure of some sort but which one? Church or state are obvious choices but it could be somebody closer to you. It would seem that you reject the "meat" and are rewarded for it with the three marks.

Just some things to ponder. Thank you for sharing this dream with us, and good luck in discovering any significance it might hold for you.

Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:14 am

Tyrsman wrote:
The dreamer is always the one best suited to find meaning in a dream but here are a couple of things I would give thought to if this were my dream.

- There is a possibility that you were seeing things through the eye of Vili and Ve's brother. It seems that only when he wanted you to see from a different perspective (via his sunglasses) were you able to see him. It would seem tberecis a sense of urgency for you to find him, even if only you feel it.

The rest of the dream seems to be an ordeal of some sort.

- Why would the pastor lie to his flock about contaminated meat? What does the meat represent to you? Is it a message that has been tainted with lies? How about the pastor, who or what does he stand for? Most likely an authority figure of some sort but which one? Church or state are obvious choices but it could be somebody closer to you. It would seem that you reject the "meat" and are rewarded for it with the three marks.

Just some things to ponder. Thank you for sharing this dream with us, and good luck in discovering any significance it might hold for you.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Tyrsman, it is always appreciated. I agree, that the dreamer is in the best position to decipher these occurrences, though it is nice to have some input to get the gears turning.

I have had similar thoughts regarding the sunglasses element; either that they were an object to help identify the third brother, or that they were symbolic of viewing through another's eyes to reveal something of great importance (à la "They Live"), or both, which seems may be the case. I did not immediately connect the sense of urgency representing an urgency to find the brother, though that is an interesting possibility. I will have to consider the possibilities and perhaps the manner in which this is to be accomplished. Perhaps further study of the dream will provide illumination.

Regarding the ordeal portion of the dream as it pertains to me, I think I was a little stuck on thinking of the meat just as it appeared in the dream, the symbolism laying in the 'contamination', rather than thinking of the meat itself as symbolic. I will have to give some more thought on this, however, in context with the pastor and the lie regarding contamination of the meat, arise some interesting notions of the meat representing spiritual and/or intellectual nourishment. This would also have significance when considering the runic tablet, and the meat concealing the engraving and being spread around like paint.

As for why the pastor would lie, I must be careful not to draw the overly obvious conclusions as you mentioned, though, thinking about it in context of the spiritual meat, perhaps this one is as it seems, representing the church, christian/judaic paradigms, politics and dogmas. When considering this in conjunction with the silent shadowy figure that stands behind the pastor and the accompanying ominous sensation as well as the ugly figure hurling obscenities and covering the runic tablet with the tainted meat -perhaps representing corruption, misguidance, subversion and dark influence (whether supernatural or anthropogenic) and the tools used to force submission- this again holds some powerful symbolism.

I also did not immediately consider that the three marks were a reward or result of rejection of the symbolic meat, but in light of these revelations/interpretations, wholly fits as another powerful element like the sunglasses. Pondering the pointed/bladed rod, if taken in context of the sunglasses and the three marks and perhaps representing a spear, or even THE spear, there is a sense of preponderance with a number of recent occurrences as well as inner perplexities along with possible implications local to our common interest here on the forums.

Regardless, this now seems to be a very powerful vision rather than a mere dream, and before I get too carried away, I have some serious searching to do.

Some outstanding elements to consider:

The bridge - Again, in context of the subject matter there seems to be a logical connection, however, a number of questions arise as to how and why it appears in the vision in a seemingly contradictory way (the top of the "flaming" bridge leading "up" to the source of the taint, and the bottom being the escape or truth, rather than the more logical opposite).

The woman - And her relation to the brothers and/or myself.

The hill - Perhaps meaningless. Some immediate thoughts come to mind; a burial mound, a geographic reference, a metaphorical hill as it pertains to the ordeal.

The whitewater fountain - On top of the huge tower, aloof, above and beyond the congregation or humanity. Intentionally hidden and/or coveted. A spring representing a source of something.

Thank-you once again Tyrsman, you have allowed me to consider some deeper themes here. Any thoughts on this reply or the outstanding elements?

Stigandr Melrakki
The Wanderer, White Fox

Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:22 pm

I apologize for the delayed response, the last few weeks have been extremely chaotic for me both personally and professionally.

I think you have done an excellent job of identifying key elements of your dream for further consideration. In our waking lives we encounter much that is of little or no significance but our dreams are different. Each and every detail of a dream is there for a specific reason. For the majority of us, most often dreams (the "commom" ones) are our brain's way of working out an issue, either to solve a problem or to gain insight from our experiences. Other dreams, the ones that fall into the "mystical" category, are slightly different. Those that contain messages from the Gods can sometimes be a bit challenging to interpret and at other times very blatant and straightforward. Each of these types of dreams are normally very specific, both in meaning and content, to the individual they are intended for.

Getting back to your dream:

Some outstanding elements to consider:

The bridge - Again, in context of the subject matter there seems to be a logical connection, however, a number of questions arise as to how and why it appears in the vision in a seemingly contradictory way (the top of the "flaming" bridge leading "up" to the source of the taint, and the bottom being the escape or truth, rather than the more logical opposite).

As you note, a bridge seems like it would carry a straightforward connection and while there are times that is true, often it is not so simple. I think in this case you should consider all the meanings and connotations that the the term "bridge" hold for you.

Obviously when we as Odinists hear the word bridge, Bifrost springs to mind. But the contradictory imagery you mention seems to point elsewhere. So what else does a bridge mean to you? A connection, an easier path, an only path, a choke point, a means of access or of egress..these are all concepts frequently associated with bridges. There is also the metaphor of burning your bridges.

It might be significant that the bridge did not appear until you needed an escape route. One might surmise that your discovery of the truth opened a path that led you out. Also that learning the truth resulted in your not being able to return (to me at least the intense glowing and palpable heat would seem to indicate that your bridge was in the process of burning).

The woman - And her relation to the brothers and/or myself.

Sometimes I think the feeling one has about a person or object can be more important than its details. Thinking about all the things that "maternal" means to you may help reveal her significance, if there is any more than meets the eye. I would consider the matriarch position that she seems to hold. She might represent the source of something.

The hill - Perhaps meaningless. Some immediate thoughts come to mind; a burial mound, a geographic reference, a metaphorical hill as it pertains to the ordeal.

- Also keep in mind that a hill may be difficult to climb but easy to descend from.

The whitewater fountain - On top of the huge tower, aloof, above and beyond the congregation or humanity. Intentionally hidden and/or coveted. A spring representing a source of something.

Like a bridge, a spring/fountain will carry a variety of meanings depending on the individual. Personally I always find water in a dream,no matter what its form, to be of great significance but that may be due to personal experiences.

Good luck with your search Wanderer, and thank you for sharing your dream.

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]