View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Dream of an old teacher, sword, and advise. 

I had an interesting dream last night, some things happened but the interesting part was when an old history teacher i had said something to me. he held a very fine norse sword and told me "your gods are around you" and something like "you must do the things your ancestor did" and "whenever you craft something", being an ancestral activity. It was not his voice, however, and a friend suggested my teacher may (or not) have been a god taking the form of someone who was a mentor to me. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Thank you for your time,

-Defender

Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:40 pm

In interpreting a dream it is important to know the details....For instance...what was the setting when you were with the teacher? Were you in a school, were you in YOUR house, someone else's house, If you were in a house, what room were you in? were you in the street, the playground, etc...you get the point.

Another important thing to consider is your relationship with that teacher and the subject taught....One thing I know is that whether it is a dream or whether it is in your waking life, when a teacher speaks, you should listen. You should meditate on the words that were given. It IS significant that it was not the voice of your teacher. Think about the tone of the voice. It COULD have been a god who came to you as your teacher so that you would recognize and take heed of the word given you.

Swords can represent, power, authority, strength, etc. The fact that it was noticeably a finely crafted Norse sword is is something you should think about along with those potential meanings. What does it mean to YOU - IN YOUR MIND?

A teacher in a dream can mean different things, but in my experience if a teacher is TEACHING you in a dream, it is rather straight forward and you need to decide for yourself what that lesson is.

How much more there was in the dream, I don't know...I consciously go through little routines sometimes before I go to bed to try and help me remember my dreams in the morning...Also, if I have had a potent dream like that one, I don't hop up out of bed too quickly because when you do you can easily lose memory of parts of the dream, if not the entire dream.

Now like I said, i don't know how many other words were given to you but this is another thing I notice:
"Your gods are around you"
"You must do the things your ancestors did"
"Whenever you craft something..."

That is THREE different words you received. The first was an encouragement. The second was a command. The third.....I don't know, because it is incomplete. Even with a statement like that which is incomplete you can still meditate on that and learn something from it. What did your ancestors do? If you have Northern European ancestry then it is highly likely that at one point, your ancestors followed the Path. What do you know of the actions of your ancestors?
Are you some sort of a craftsman in your waking life? If the answer is yes, you should contemplate your craft. If the answer is no, you should contemplate why a teacher/sage/god would mention crafting something to you.

I have given you many things to think about. Let me give you my opinion...which is only my opinion. This is NOT an interpretation as I do not TELL anyone else what their dream means. I can only speak from my perspective if I had the dream...

I believe a god came in the form of your teacher to give you a boon. In particular, Odin and Heimdall like to teach things to men. They take interest in us. You may have won the interest of the gods and might should consider that a gift. A gift requires a gift. If Heimdall sent the messenger or was the messenger that is very significant as well.

PAY ATTENTION WHEN A TEACHER SPEAKS.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:13 am

sweinodinsson wrote:
In interpreting a dream it is important to know the details....For instance...what was the setting when you were with the teacher? Were you in a school, were you in YOUR house, someone else's house, If you were in a house, what room were you in? were you in the street, the playground, etc...you get the point.

Another important thing to consider is your relationship with that teacher and the subject taught....One thing I know is that whether it is a dream or whether it is in your waking life, when a teacher speaks, you should listen. You should meditate on the words that were given. It IS significant that it was not the voice of your teacher. Think about the tone of the voice. It COULD have been a god who came to you as your teacher so that you would recognize and take heed of the word given you.

Swords can represent, power, authority, strength, etc. The fact that it was noticeably a finely crafted Norse sword is is something you should think about along with those potential meanings. What does it mean to YOU - IN YOUR MIND?

A teacher in a dream can mean different things, but in my experience if a teacher is TEACHING you in a dream, it is rather straight forward and you need to decide for yourself what that lesson is.

How much more there was in the dream, I don't know...I consciously go through little routines sometimes before I go to bed to try and help me remember my dreams in the morning...Also, if I have had a potent dream like that one, I don't hop up out of bed too quickly because when you do you can easily lose memory of parts of the dream, if not the entire dream.

Now like I said, i don't know how many other words were given to you but this is another thing I notice:
"Your gods are around you"
"You must do the things your ancestors did"
"Whenever you craft something..."

That is THREE different words you received. The first was an encouragement. The second was a command. The third.....I don't know, because it is incomplete. Even with a statement like that which is incomplete you can still meditate on that and learn something from it. What did your ancestors do? If you have Northern European ancestry then it is highly likely that at one point, your ancestors followed the Path. What do you know of the actions of your ancestors?
Are you some sort of a craftsman in your waking life? If the answer is yes, you should contemplate your craft. If the answer is no, you should contemplate why a teacher/sage/god would mention crafting something to you.

I have given you many things to think about. Let me give you my opinion...which is only my opinion. This is NOT an interpretation as I do not TELL anyone else what their dream means. I can only speak from my perspective if I had the dream...

I believe a god came in the form of your teacher to give you a boon. In particular, Odin and Heimdall like to teach things to men. They take interest in us. You may have won the interest of the gods and might should consider that a gift. A gift requires a gift. If Heimdall sent the messenger or was the messenger that is very significant as well.

PAY ATTENTION WHEN A TEACHER SPEAKS.

Wise words.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:15 pm

Swein,

We were outside, on a sidewalk, near a park. There might have been other people listening too, but it felt addressed to me.

He was my history teacher, he and I have a thing together about swords, we still keep in contact.

I dont know what the sword means yet.

What i was meaning by "Whenever you craft something..." was that it was an example of something i do that my ancestors did, because i am a blacksmith primarily.

Almost all of my ancestors are Germanic

Yes, as stated above i am a blacksmith, but i am also builidng a lyre and thinking about other instruments, and ships down the road. many things.

Thank you for your wisdom. I hope to hear what you think of how i have answered these questions.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:51 am

So you were handed a NORSE sword, by what may have been a GOD, but certainly a messenger from them,on a sidewalk, which is a PATH, with the message, "your gods are around you."

You will have to decide for yourself what that means. You are here on this forum which is dedicated to a particular path. Have you read the library of the Odin Brotherhood? I can not give you anymore information.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:44 pm

Also, I would hope that this goes without saying, but along with the literature of the brotherhood, the Eddas and Sagas are most important. I believe you will gain more insight for you dream in reading the texts of the OB.

Also, That is so cool that you are a blacksmith. It is something I have always wanted to get into. I have made two knives and made a video of my last one that I showed to several knife makers because I had no idea what I was doing, but action is better than inaction, so I did it anyway.
They told me everything I was doing wrong and pointed me to some good resources on how to make quality knives with the tools that I have already. I do not have an anvil and they are too expensive for me to afford for the foreseeable future with all the projects i need money for now.
I now know how to make quality knives out of edger blades. I have a stack of used lawnmower blade, but no anvil to flatten them on.
I would really like to make some Seax knives for which edger blades are too short. Do you have any suggestions on flat materials or a makeshift anvil?
Also, I would be interested to know what sort of things you craft with your skill of blacksmithing. How did you learn? I am fascinated by that.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:18 pm

I was never handed the sword, he only held it unsheathed, by the hilt.
I have not read the lore of the brotherhood. Where can i find it?

thank you for thinking smithing is cool! i am by no means a master, but i aspire to be, and have great teachers. I also want to be able to build instruments (i have a great teacher) and ships, and other things. I dont want to limit myself but i dont want to be a "jack of all trades, master of none" type. i want to be skilled.
A common first anvil is railroad track, i personally started with stumps. Some Viking Age blacksmiths used a rock their whole life, and anvils from that era are totally different from modern anvils. I'd start with railroad track, and once you feel good with shaping the metal, practice forge welding. then you can make a stump anvil, which would be a step up. i want to make a stump anvil myself someday.

Firstly, i would not suggest lawnmower blades. They can be made of all sorts of different things, and not very high quality. Something lots of people suggest is old files (not newer ones, those are only case hardened). I started on railroad spikes, but those are still not a very good steel, but you can learn about moving the metal with those. they're thick which gives you a lot of mess up room. Another thing you could do, something i do myself when making something new, is go to your local hardware store and get some mild steel bar stock. make sure it says weldable steel on the tag, and it's not shiny. that shiny stuff is zinc plated and will create deadly fumes, which is why it is not labeled weldable. (in reality you can weld on zinc plated stuff but that's a whole different bear, hah). Mild steel is not nearly world class steel, but it is steel. Our forebears worked iron, and steel at all is a little better than iron. i practice making new things with mild because it is easier to work, and less expensive. that way if i mess up i didnt waste too much money on good steel. When you start working high carbon, work it really hot. always work at least orange to keep from work hardening or fractures, files especially are prone to break. Mild would give you enough material. Leaf spring is also a good steel to use, most spring steels are about the same and can be heat treated similarly.

I have mostly taught myself, but i have learned from other blacksmiths, and want to expand metalworking beyond blacksmithing, i am already welding.

thank you for your interest! i will be glad to answer any of your questions, though i am no master, and in reality i dont know much at all. if i dont know how to answer you i will ask someone who does or point you to a source!

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:28 pm

http://www.odinbrotherhood.com/library- ... files.html

Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:30 am

Thank you!

Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:09 pm

I am departing from your dream to leave you with some things to look up/consider about your craft:
Völundr the smith

Duergar

Element/spirit of fire

Iron

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]