View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Winter Solstice Blød: Blessing or Bad Omen? 

It has been a long while since I have posted here. I have been in some bad financial straights, so for the Winter Solstice, I did not blot mead, but rather a hard apple cider that had honey infused into it; it was far cheaper, as well as the symbolism with Idunn, and renewal etc. I had a large mead horn to contain the libation, and a smaller one for the toasts to Ran and Ægir at a beach. After I had said the ritual words, and poured out the honey hard apple cider into the waves, a huge wave came in with in seconds, and when I turned around, the smaller mead horn had disappeared, taken out to see as though it has literally vanished. I am not sure what to make of that? Would that be fortuitous, or would that be more likely a sign that the libation was rejected? Thoughts?

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:51 am
Profile YIM

I would take it as the offering being accepted and take it as a good omen. After all, you brought it for Ran and Aegir and the sea took it.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:48 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
I would take it as the offering being accepted and take it as a good omen. After all, you brought it for Ran and Aegir and the sea took it.

I am of the same mind as Sweinodinson. However, I would ask if the sea's "mood" seemed to change at all? Those who have lived near the sea can usually differentiate between an angry sea state and one that is joyfully wild.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:28 am

Tyrsman wrote:
sweinodinsson wrote:

I am of the same mind as Sweinodinson. However, I would ask if the sea's "mood" seemed to change at all? Those who have lived near the sea can usually differentiate between an angry sea state and one that is joyfully wild.

Agreed.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:34 am

Tyrsman wrote:
sweinodinsson wrote:

Thanks friends. I would say the sea was aggressive, but not angry because it was high tide. But, the wave itself, that took the smaller mead horn away from me didn't feel angry, just very powerful. It was gone so fast, it felt like it vanished, and there was a sacred feeling to that perception of the mead horn vanishing, like the vanishing of it was somehow sacred in itself. And I've learned that usually one's first unfiltered thoughts/instincts are usually correct if you don't critically try to second guess yourself.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:37 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]