View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:19 am



Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Dream and the Gods 
Author Message

Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:35 am
Posts: 543
I had an unusual dream last night. Unfortunately, I can't really remember all the details. Just that I was having a typical bizarre dream, by my standards, and found myself in a cave or something. Memory is a bit clouded. I don't know why I did what I did, but I had some weird impulse to call on the gods, asking them for wisdom/enlightenment. Something to that effect. I called on several gods, beginning with Manannan, and Njörd, Thor, Odin, and I believe one or two others. Then I hesitated to name Loki. It was one of those moments when a name or word is on the tip of your tongue, but then you stop yourself from speaking it. I do like Loki, so I'm not sure why I hesitated.
Anyway, the next thing that happened is beyond words or explanation. This is where my memory begins to get cloudy. It was quite clear at the time, and I clearly recall returning to the cave and thanking the gods after having been lifted up and out through the stone.
I think it had something to do with reincarnation, but not sure. I woke up at some point after this dream, didn't think to write it down at the time, and went back to sleep. Now I can only recall fragments. Nonetheless, it was interesting, to say the least.


Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:35 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1530
As always, the dreamer is the best person to interpret a dream. That said, to me this is a powerful dream that shows a path to greater enlightenment. Plato's Cave is something that is brought immediately to mind. In your description you say that for no particular reason you hesitated to ask Loki for help but when you received the aid you sought. Perhaps this indicates that you already have the key you seek you just haven't thought to try it yet, instead relying on the methods that have always worked for you in the past.


Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:24 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:35 am
Posts: 543
Tyrsman wrote:
As always, the dreamer is the best person to interpret a dream. That said, to me this is a powerful dream that shows a path to greater enlightenment. Plato's Cave is something that is brought immediately to mind. In your description you say that for no particular reason you hesitated to ask Loki for help but when you received the aid you sought. Perhaps this indicates that you already have the key you seek you just haven't thought to try it yet, instead relying on the methods that have always worked for you in the past.


Thank you for the feedback. I never really work with any deity except Manannan, despite the fact that there are a few others who appeal to me. Once I made a sort of deal with Thor. More of a joke. He came through for me and I still need to fulfill my end of the bargain. But other than that, I've never called on Thor, Odin, Loki, or any others for anything. I don't know why I did that in the dream, despite my awareness and self control.
The reluctance to name Loki in my appeal for guidance I can only attribute to a slight uncertainty of his true nature, but as I acted on impulse/intuition rather than reason, I really couldn't say.
As for Odin, this might seem weird, but I've never been remotely drawn to him. Perhaps the time has come?
I'll have to look up your reference to Plato's cave, as that's new to me.


Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:12 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:08 pm
Posts: 632
This isn't a dream interpretation but, after tumbling it over in my mind some here are my thoughts,

You have the capacity to get to know every single one of these gods. They were in your dream for SOME reason. You say that you haven't asked them for anything. That could be good. Many times, people have something in mind that they want and then go to the gods for propitiation, like it's a magical formula. I feel like the reward of giving gifts to the gods, whether it be gifts of libation, gifts of time, gifts of craftsmanship, putting yourself through an ordeal of some sort, etc, the reward is in getting to know our Elder Kin. For people who walk the path toward being blood brothers/sisters with the gods, we want to be the "friends of gods". You know what they say, "To have a friend, be a friend."


If I had the dream, I would be making a mental note that I need to do something for those Elder Kin who came to visit me. Perhaps there is a way you could get to know them better and become closer to them.


Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:17 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1530
Fand wrote:

I'll have to look up your reference to Plato's cave, as that's new to me.


In this situation think of it as being able to better see the truth of the situation because the Gods involved are lifting you up.


Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:46 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:35 am
Posts: 543
sweinodinsson wrote:
This isn't a dream interpretation but, after tumbling it over in my mind some here are my thoughts,

You have the capacity to get to know every single one of these gods. They were in your dream for SOME reason. You say that you haven't asked them for anything. That could be good. Many times, people have something in mind that they want and then go to the gods for propitiation, like it's a magical formula. I feel like the reward of giving gifts to the gods, whether it be gifts of libation, gifts of time, gifts of craftsmanship, putting yourself through an ordeal of some sort, etc, the reward is in getting to know our Elder Kin. For people who walk the path toward being blood brothers/sisters with the gods, we want to be the "friends of gods". You know what they say, "To have a friend, be a friend."


If I had the dream, I would be making a mental note that I need to do something for those Elder Kin who came to visit me. Perhaps there is a way you could get to know them better and become closer to them.


Thank you. That is actually very helpful. Last night I came to the conclusion that perhaps I should make a little effort to gain an acquaintance with Loki, in part because I felt sorry for having excluded him in the dream. However, it may have been for the best, as perhaps any of the other gods may not have liked any kind of cooperation with Loki, or vice versa. Who knows. Perhaps it was my own doubt, and if so, all the more reason to take the time to get to know him.
What you said about getting to know each of them feels like the right thing to do, as if the time is right. Perhaps it was something of an invitation, even, as in he dream, the sudden unexplainable urge to call on them occurred because something just felt right, like it was a moment not to be passed up.

Honestly, I hadn't even expected any feedback when I posted this here. I mostly just wanted to get the words written out and try to recall some more detail, but I'm very grateful for what you and tyrsman have had to say. Thank you both.


Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:55 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:35 am
Posts: 543
Tyrsman wrote:
Fand wrote:

I'll have to look up your reference to Plato's cave, as that's new to me.


In this situation think of it as being able to better see the truth of the situation because the Gods involved are lifting you up.

Hmmm.... That makes a lot of sense. My whole perspective changed drastically after rising out of the cave. One little detail I do recall is soaring through the sky— the sunset colours of the sky, the clouds, even the glittering stars. I know that I was shown other things which had clearer concepts, but unfortunately that's all a bit of a haze now.


Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:59 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:39 pm
Posts: 660
Sometimes I think my relationship with the gods differs greatly from most here. Perhaps not. Each day, sometimes more than once, I give the gift of gratitude to the gods ... gratitude for knowledge, for safety, for learning a life lesson and I also dedicate up much that I do to them each day - sometimes the most mundane tasks - including the practice I do - meditation and yoga. From my experience, this is the best way I have to learn of each god - how I have learnt, and I hope, built a relationship with Odin, Skadhi and Thor. Inviting them to become a part of what I do, a part of my mundane life. I do not reserve them for 'special occasions' or when I want something. If they have formed a part of your everyday life, then they are already privy to what it is you want, it becomes something they want too.

What am I trying to say? ... don't be afraid to ask them to be a part of your life. Don't think you have to find an extraordinary gift to offer to them in order for them to pay attention to you. By living a life of honour and respect and by giving gratitude is far more sincere - they see that, they understand. Do not fear Loki, he is a blood brother to Odin so it is more respect to be shown as Odin shows to him. They are our Elder Kin, they will help guide you. Stormr


Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:31 am
Profile

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:08 pm
Posts: 632
Norse Storm wrote:
Sometimes I think my relationship with the gods differs greatly from most here. Perhaps not. Each day, sometimes more than once, I give the gift of gratitude to the gods ... gratitude for knowledge, for safety, for learning a life lesson and I also dedicate up much that I do to them each day - sometimes the most mundane tasks - including the practice I do - meditation and yoga. From my experience, this is the best way I have to learn of each god - how I have learnt, and I hope, built a relationship with Odin, Skadhi and Thor. Inviting them to become a part of what I do, a part of my mundane life. I do not reserve them for 'special occasions' or when I want something. If they have formed a part of your everyday life, then they are already privy to what it is you want, it becomes something they want too.

What am I trying to say? ... don't be afraid to ask them to be a part of your life. Don't think you have to find an extraordinary gift to offer to them in order for them to pay attention to you. By living a life of honour and respect and by giving gratitude is far more sincere - they see that, they understand. Do not fear Loki, he is a blood brother to Odin so it is more respect to be shown as Odin shows to him. They are our Elder Kin, they will help guide you. Stormr


I think that was beautifully written.

I am closest to Heimdallr, Odin, and Freyja. I have made them a part of my every day life. Each day of the week, I honor that days deity in some way, which may be as small as looking up at the moon and saying, "Hail Mani" on a Monday. I always try to get exercise or martial arts practice in on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Things like that. I honor them all three times a year. Sometimes, a friend and I will go camping or be working out at my place and we will make toasts to the Elder Kin...he usually pours a libation out for Loki and toasts him, which I drink to as well. Then sometimes, I may perform a sacred rite alone.


Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:13 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:35 am
Posts: 543
Norse Storm wrote:
Sometimes I think my relationship with the gods differs greatly from most here. Perhaps not. Each day, sometimes more than once, I give the gift of gratitude to the gods ... gratitude for knowledge, for safety, for learning a life lesson and I also dedicate up much that I do to them each day - sometimes the most mundane tasks - including the practice I do - meditation and yoga. From my experience, this is the best way I have to learn of each god - how I have learnt, and I hope, built a relationship with Odin, Skadhi and Thor. Inviting them to become a part of what I do, a part of my mundane life. I do not reserve them for 'special occasions' or when I want something. If they have formed a part of your everyday life, then they are already privy to what it is you want, it becomes something they want too.

What am I trying to say? ... don't be afraid to ask them to be a part of your life. Don't think you have to find an extraordinary gift to offer to them in order for them to pay attention to you. By living a life of honour and respect and by giving gratitude is far more sincere - they see that, they understand. Do not fear Loki, he is a blood brother to Odin so it is more respect to be shown as Odin shows to him. They are our Elder Kin, they will help guide you. Stormr


It is the little things for me, as well. It is not often that I ask for anything, and even when I do, it is mostly just for guidance or a new perspective. My thoughts go often to the gods or my ancestors. Rituals aren't really my thing.


Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:09 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.