View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
A dream and devotion to the old gods 

Last night I had a rather strange dream. A little background — I have 5 tattoos, all representing my spiritual journey in some way. The triskele in honour of the sea god manannan, who has always been a part of my life. The symbol, known in Celtic traditions as awen, but referring to the three rays of wisdom. The tree of life, or Yggdrasil. And the sun and moon, which are the least important of my tattoos to me.
In the dream I met someone from the OB. It could just as easily have been a forum member rather than an actual member of an organized secret society, but the person I met was not of specific importance. The relevance of the dream regarded my tattoos. It seemed as if the gods were showing me that I already bore the marks, in that all of my tattoos were done in dedication to my gods and path. Specifically, the three rays and the triskele were brought to my attention as being the most significant marks of my devotion to the elder kin.
In the dream, I put up a bit of protest, insisting I didn't have the correct marks, but was overruled. Haha!

To sum up my own thoughts, I do not see myself as a member of the Odin brotherhood, but I don't need to be a part of it to validate my own commitment to my gods and ancestors. In the eyes of the gods, I need no other marks to show that commitment.
I don't really know what a sojourn is like by OB standards, but I have done my fair share of vision quests, for what it's worth.
I do really enjoy this forum, though, for all the stimulating discussions and the people who are drawn here intrigue me. I feel that many of us here, though perhaps not a part of the official brotherhood are still a part of something that unites many of us, in that some of us seem to share common values, a love of the old ways and a desire to preserve the heritage left to us by our ancestors.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:28 am

I wish I could remember my dreams, I guess I'm too unfocused in my beliefs right now. Hopefully with time and effort I will develop this side of myself. Congratulations for achieving some inner clarity.

I guess you don't need to be part of a shadowy secret society to have a relationship with the gods - as it should be! My grandfather, though a northern Irish protestant by birth had the same feelings. He said he didn't need an organised religion coming between him and his God.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:36 am

Skygge wrote:
I wish I could remember my dreams, I guess I'm too unfocused in my beliefs right now. Hopefully with time and effort I will develop this side of myself. Congratulations for achieving some inner clarity.

I guess you don't need to be part of a shadowy secret society to have a relationship with the gods - as it should be! My grandfather, though a northern Irish protestant by birth had the same feelings. He said he didn't need an organised religion coming between him and his God.

I quite agree that people don't need an organized religion to have a relationship with the gods. I grew up with Christianity, and the Protestants of all denominations share the belief that a person does not need a priest to serve as a mediator between them and the god/s, but most cannot see that they also do not need an organized religion telling them what to think rather than learning to think for themselves.
However, I do see potential value in community of like minded folk, including in the religious sense. Through such organization, people who share common values can work together to effect change who the belief will have positive impacts on our world, large or small. As pagans, we are mostly scattered, divided and leaderless. I am not a follower in any way, but to have some cohesion amongst those of the old ways would be nice. Efforts are being made to form groups, but for some of us, there is no real possibility of join in up with others in the flesh who share our Weltanschauung.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:04 am

I also wish there was more surviving lore that would allow for a more authentic organised following, this lone wolf type of organisation can't have been the norm or it would have never been so widespread as it was. It's a shame that Christianity was so thorough in erasing other religions (not just the northern way, imagine how many other ways in the past have had their histories and practices erased in the name of the desert dweller...
I was reading an essay recently that basically said that historically individual groups of Norse folk had their own God of worship (farmers, Smith's, warriors and the like). Odin worship (according to some scholars anyway) was reserved for the ruling classes whilst your average warrior only worshipped Tyr or Thor. I guess we will never know for sure unless some unknown source of information comes to light that survived the purging of the north....

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:23 pm

Skygge wrote:
I also wish there was more surviving lore that would allow for a more authentic organised following, this lone wolf type of organisation can't have been the norm or it would have never been so widespread as it was. It's a shame that Christianity was so thorough in erasing other religions (not just the northern way, imagine how many other ways in the past have had their histories and practices erased in the name of the desert dweller...
I was reading an essay recently that basically said that historically individual groups of Norse folk had their own God of worship (farmers, Smith's, warriors and the like). Odin worship (according to some scholars anyway) was reserved for the ruling classes whilst your average warrior only worshipped Tyr or Thor. I guess we will never know for sure unless some unknown source of information comes to light that survived the purging of the north....

Agreed. It is a sad loss not only for the northwestern Europeans, but for all indigenous peoples who have lost their ancestral ways and traditions largely due to Christian oppression.
It makes sense that the northmen and women would have their specific deities of worship depending on their societal role. I expect they honoured all the gods in a sort of universal way, but had their particular deity with whom they sought a deeper relationship.
In my case, I'm a mother, wife and have a deep reverence for nature. Gardening is my hobby, as I want to be as self reliant as possible within m limited means, and as such, I have begun to feel increasingly more drawn to Frey, specifically, and to a lesser degree, Freya. Though my patron deity is manannan, and one of my favourite among the northern gods is Njörd, this growing acting for Frey makes sense to me due to my interests and pursuits. I've even begun toasting him when I work in the garden. ;)

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]