View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
A Christian Having Strange Experiences and Seeking Guidance 

I'd like to open this by saying that I am, in fact, a committed Christian, but certainly no enemy of Odinists. For quite a while I've been having some strange experiences that I wondered might be pagan in origin, and I'm hoping that you members of the Brotherhood can help illuminate me.

First of all, there's a family history of Odinism; my grandmother, a devout Christian, believed in the Norse deities and felt that she could commune with them. I'm not exactly sure how this worked, as she still upheld the supremacy of Christ and His Father, but she did have some kind of relationship with the Norse gods (and appears to have been especially close with Thor).

Now, on to what's been happening with me. There are three things:

1. Birds: I constantly see pairs of dark birds, often in the context of a road. On multiple occasions, two birds have been standing directly opposite one another on different sides of a street I'm walking or driving over. I wondered if this might be some relation to Odin's ravens, Huginn and Muninn.

2. Alphabet: When I was about 12 years old, I invented an alphabet so I could write in my journals without people reading them. Now, as I investigate the Elder Futhark for the first time, I am discovering that the two scripts are remarkably similar.

3. Strange dreams: About a year ago, I had a dream in which I saw stars, followed by a large amount of golden light and an authoritative voice saying "Hyperion." I had no idea what this meant, but looked it up and found the name was associated with the Greek Titan of light and wisdom. Could this have any relation to the Norse pantheon?

Any guidance you could provide would be very much appreciated.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:43 am

Hello, Lucian! It's an honor that you have trusted us enough to seek answers. Thank you!

1. Raven is my spirit guide and has been ever since I discovered the path of paganism. There have been times when I needed a more aggressive message, so two appeared. I take this as Huginn and Muninn working as a team to get my attention. When I merely need council, only one appears. This sounds like what is happening to you.

Symbols will come to us regardless of our religious affiliation, but we might not always see them. Doesn't mean they aren't there. It may sound strange since you are a christian, so let me explain it this way:

Imagine for a moment that you are walking through a giant room. There is a door up ahead leading out, and since you know that is your goal, you head for it. Now, there is a vase of roses to your left. Perhaps you are so transfixed upon the ultimate goal that you never realize it's there, and yet, it is still there. It does not cease to exist simply because you haven't noticed it.

This is how all of these things are that are attributed to "paganism," "christianity," etc... Just because it isn't our religion's icon or ideology, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. We just can't see it for what it is. When we are ready, we will and when we realize it's always been there, a new door is revealed that we didn't realize was there. It's the next step in our journey and we've passed the test to go through the threshold.

Raven is very important to all cultures. It seems you know the meaning for Odin's ravens, so this is more about Raven that may have meaning for you:

Quote:
Ravens are the largest songbird in North America. Raven are often referred to by some indigenous tribes as the 'secret keepers' and are the subject of many stories. Their ebony black color is sometimes associated with darkness. Ravens are very intelligent and are able mimic the sounds other birds and can squawk out some human words. Ravens are found in many different regions and climates.

The raven spirit guide is not chosen by those who seek its wisdom. The raven only comes to those to whom it may speak in private and share its secrets with the knowledge its mysteries will be well guarded by one who already possesses wisdom.

The raven is known as the 'Secret Keeper by some native tribes because of their way of silently perching near people and 'listening' to conversations then flying away in a flutter shrieking an eerie sound or mimicking a human word. Because of their inky black color they are linked to a place where fear and secrets are kept.

When sun shines on the ravens shiny body it sometimes reflects many colors is therefore sometimes said it has the ability to transform itself, especially when it makes the call of another species. If the raven is seen in dreams or visions it may mean significant changes are about to take place.

Ravens are intelligent and can be seen in the wild 'instructing' other birds and animals. From the raven we may learn ways to become better teachers and understand the languages of many.

Regardless of common belief, the raven is not an omen of death and should never be feared as its messages are those that can benefit the listener. There are no "evil" creatures on Earth.

Because of ravens ability to make a variety of sounds and high pitched vibrations are known to alter consciousness, the raven is sometimes credited with the ability to transform, move into other dimensions or to shape shift. We may expect frequent changes if the raven is perched on your shoulder.

In the study of animal totems, or familiars, the Raven spirit guide symbolizes changes in conciousness and is the symbol of a shape shifter. Ravens are prophets, spell-casters, and messengers. The Raven totem offers knowledge of the world to the people for safe keeping. Over the course of generations, this knowledge is passed on, and the spirit of transformation begins to unfold.

The raven symbolizes healing powers, the ability to draw secrets from the Shadows. The raven symbolizes gratitude and affection, wisdom, hope, longevity, death, and fertility. The song of the Raven is said to be a symbol of temptations, especially sexual ones.

The raven is at once a symbol of mystery, memory and thought; and the master trickster. In alchemy, Raven represents change and the advanced soul.

The Raven's jet-black color naturally associates it with night, the Great Void, and the Earth. It is a bird that has been granted great power.

Some say Raven was born of the primordial darkness and some say Raven created the light. In spite of her dark appearance, the raven is also a solar symbol. In China, a three-legged raven lives in the sun. Her legs symbolize dawn, noon, and dusk. There used to be ten sun-ravens but they gave off such intense light and heat that an archer had to shoot nine of them in order to preserve life on earth.

When you observe with the eye of the Raven, you realize the importance of letting others express their views. Raven teaches the importance of being still and observing quietly until we can see both sides of the light.

When change needs to occur, the Raven flies quickly. She also brings new things, new places, new ideas, and rebirth. Raven helps the worthy, but loves to trick the unsuspecting; and is as full of mischief as she is wonderful. Raven symbolizes the home of our ancestors, our personal stories and imprinted memories. Raven to some is distinctly earthy, and feminine.

To honor the darkness of this bird's wing, we turn to our own hidden interior, the parts of our own past marked with shadows of unhealed wounds and unexpressed emotions. The Raven is the symbol of our own Soul.

All healing begins with the spiritual which converts to emotional, mental and many times even physical levels. We are all a work in progress and on our way to perfection. Remember to balance your life with fun and play.

Those are various examples. It seems you have a running theme with Light when comparing this question to your third, as well as some persistent guidance regarding the path you are on and the path you should be on (not necessarily religious but possibly in your daily life, relationships, work, school, etc..).

2. I had similar experience with runes but nothing like yours. I was drawn to the runes before I even realized what they were or that they were even part of my ancient heritage. Your heritage or your soul guided you to those forms. You knew them before you understood them. That's something very special. Don't take it for granted. It's something no one can take away from you. It's a birthright, either by blood or by soul.

3. Research Hyperion. Sometimes, we are lead to other avenues for answers that aren't part of just one culture. You are being told to learn of Hyperion for a reason. He is the God of Light for the Greeks. Baldr for the Norse is the God of Light.

These are just Wikipedia references, so look for better direction. This is only to start you on a journey of real research:
Hyperion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_(mythology)
Baldr: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldr

Having said that, if you were meant to seek Baldr, the voice would have said, "Baldr." It distinctly said, "Hyperion," so this is what you must learn. The meaning of him is personal to you, but I can tell you that having dreams of a god of light while being visited by ravens is very important. I think you are being told you are ready to move forward in your spiritual journey and Hyperion represents what you must seek or strive for. You are at a point on your current path that is coming to its end, and it's time you learn the next step, the next fork to take.

It is the belief of many of us not on the Abrahamic path (christian, jewish, muslim) that the gods are all the same, just perceived differently according to the culture revering them. Your grandmother's religious affiliation with your Christ doesn't mean she couldn't have a relationship with the Norse gods. There is nothing that says your Christ isn't our Thor or the Greek's Dionysus or Egypt's Horus. Many theologians have pondered the similarities and the possibility that they are all the same god(s)/goddesses. You can believe this or not. Regardless, it is very likely the gods visit us as we are ready to receive them on our current journey. In other words, Norseman wouldn't follow an Egyptian god, so why not believe the god would appear to him as his own accepted image of a god?

That's just the way I feel about it.

I'm sure you'll get many others here willing to help you. And should you choose to stay after your questions have been answered, you are more than welcome :). Many of us here are learning, even though we have been part of this path our whole lives. We should never stop learning. It's what makes us grow.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:05 am

Skuld,

Thank you so much for this help. I'd love to talk more. This whole experience has been very confusing and disconcerting, as I feel that even having the urge to reach out to Norse deities is a sin against the Christian God. I can't deny that these longings are present, however, nor that communing with the Norse gods just feels so right. There's no guilt, no shame. Sexuality is celebrated, not hidden away. What comes naturally is what is sanctioned. It's hard not find appeal in that.

Then there's the fact that I've always felt something, something just out of reach, and especially in the fall. It's like magic is in the air around October, and I can practically touch it.

Sorry to ramble.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:14 pm

Lucian wrote:
I'd like to open this by saying that I am, in fact, a committed Christian, but certainly no enemy of Odinists. For quite a while I've been having some strange experiences that I wondered might be pagan in origin, and I'm hoping that you members of the Brotherhood can help illuminate me.

First of all, there's a family history of Odinism; my grandmother, a devout Christian, believed in the Norse deities and felt that she could commune with them. I'm not exactly sure how this worked, as she still upheld the supremacy of Christ and His Father, but she did have some kind of relationship with the Norse gods (and appears to have been especially close with Thor).

1. Birds: I constantly see pairs of dark birds, often in the context of a road. On multiple occasions, two birds have been standing directly opposite one another on different sides of a street I'm walking or driving over. I wondered if this might be some relation to Odin's ravens, Huginn and Muninn.

2. Alphabet: When I was about 12 years old, I invented an alphabet so I could write in my journals without people reading them. Now, as I investigate the Elder Futhark for the first time, I am discovering that the two scripts are remarkably similar.

3. Strange dreams: About a year ago, I had a dream in which I saw stars, followed by a large amount of golden light and an authoritative voice saying "Hyperion." I had no idea what this meant, but looked it up and found the name was associated with the Greek Titan of light and wisdom. Could this have any relation to the Norse pantheon?

Lucian.... the gods call those who are theirs. It is your choice whether you answer the call or not.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:38 pm

Haha! That's not rambling. You should see some of my posts here! ;)

As an evolved ex-christian, I can promise you that what you are feeling is a pull to regain what was forced to be hidden inside you. There is nothing "sinful" or wrong about being here. I know it's going to take some time for you to realize that, but you will. You are safe. Just remember that. You are safe to explore who you are supposed to be. You are expected, even, to find the meaning of the soul within you. Even Jesus went on solitary retreats to seek answers and guidance in his work on this Earth. There is nothing wrong in exploring and allowing your soul freedom to grow and learn all this Earth has to offer, even if it needs to walk a path other than christianity.

Thu May 01, 2014 12:38 am

I find that different gods speak to me at different times and in different ways. I actually had made up the names of the gods I communed with for decades until finally embracing my heritage and feeling Odinism. I am an Odinist because it feels right. Because when I hold my daughter and look up at the sky each morning and we greet each of our friends, i feel at peace and I feel in the right place. Like pollen that has finally found the flower to which it belongs. Let your heart guide you. The path of this pantheon is not for everyone. It is a deeply connective path though and one that stretches back a very, very long way if you let yourself authentically feel your way through. I constantly find other gods or parts of other faiths or philosophies that are similar or down right exact to our pantheon. I feel that as Skuld said, their are different symbols recognized by different people. I quote the Dalai Lama quite a bit. He says in paraphrase "Religion is like tea and compassion is like the water used to brew it. You can live without tea but you can't live without water." In my own heart i hold many virtues to this test. Compassion, for me, is the strongest of causes and the one that is sorely missing in our world. I believe that it is okay for you to speak with your Christ, your Jehova, or anyone else for that matter, much in the same way that you can converse with any other human that you choose. I choose the norse pantheon because I feel that they have similar things to say and in this way when we converse it does not matter if I am answering myself or if the god I am speaking to is. If I am filled with the essence of that god, gained through reading, then I will gain an answer from that god. I am unable to speak to Jesus or Jehova because I feel that they inspired their followers to be ignorant and to destroy the most important part of being a human...wisdom through culture and tradition that resonates with the individual.

Thu May 01, 2014 3:03 am

Lucian wrote:

I would say that you should a ask the god themselves, "why is it that divine whoever is or are sending omens?" Making you open to either the Abrahamic or European gods. It's also very informal, not being too solemn but loose and sincere. You want to know the truth don't you? You want to see if norse gods exist or not or if they have something to give? Well seek "knowledge over faith". If "faith" leads you away from knowing the truth, about whatever, the practitioners have drunk the cool-aid.

So just approach with an open mind. Maybe Jesus is saying something, maybe the Æsir, only The Völva knows why. Just ask "who's speaking and why?" Gods are perfectly capable of answering questions or expressing opinions.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:07 am

Lucian wrote:
Skuld,

Thank you so much for this help. I'd love to talk more. This whole experience has been very confusing and disconcerting, as I feel that even having the urge to reach out to Norse deities is a sin against the Christian God. I can't deny that these longings are present, however, nor that communing with the Norse gods just feels so right. There's no guilt, no shame. Sexuality is celebrated, not hidden away. What comes naturally is what is sanctioned. It's hard not find appeal in that.

Then there's the fact that I've always felt something, something just out of reach, and especially in the fall. It's like magic is in the air around October, and I can practically touch it.

Sorry to ramble.

Lucian, if you are still here, I experienced such conflicting feelings all throughout childhood, and it grew steadily as I hit my early teens. What helped me, was at 18 I began researching magic, and then paganism, primarily druids. I came across some very well written and researched information that taught me the origins of Christianity. That set me free, it removed the shackles which had bound me and held me back. It was the greatest spiritual relief when I took the leap and overcame my fear. When I turned my back on the Christian faith I never looked back and I never had any regrets. I didn't know where my path would lead, but I knew I was finally moving in the right direction. It led me to my ancestral ways, the path of the druid and to heathery.
I hope you have found your answers and your way.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:56 pm

Skuld, your comment was very informative and beautifully written. Food for thought, thank you. I love ravens. I'm always trying to talk to ten and gain their trust when I see them about. E ones where I live must think I'm odd, e way they look at me and then hop away because they know I'm watching them.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:02 pm

Lucian wrote:
Skuld,

Sorry to ramble.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]