View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Chakras 

I am currently studying meditation and this was in the course book :

The earliest mention of chakras comes in the Vedas, which are the oldest written tradition of India (2,500 – 500 B.C.), although it is known that they were part of an even older oral tradition brought to India by invading Indo-European tribes.

Food for thought given the connection between the Eddas and the Vedas and their relationship with the Chakras ... Stormr

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:23 am

Norse Storm wrote:
I am currently studying meditation and this was in the course book :

The earliest mention of chakras comes in the Vedas, which are the oldest written tradition of India (2,500 – 500 B.C.), although it is known that they were part of an even older oral tradition brought to India by invading Indo-European tribes.

Food for thought given the connection between the Eddas and the Vedas and their relationship with the Chakras ... Stormr

Interesting. I wonder if we can find some hint of this in the lore.
Coincidentally, as I was reading my copy of the Edda, I came across some information about how souls are carried into the womb (incarnated).
A few points of interest:
Odin breathed into Ask and Embla the breath of life. This brings to my mind the concept of prana.
Odin gave them önd (spirit, breath)
Hœnir gave them óðr (soul, consciousness and movement)
Lóðurr gave lá with læti and litr goða (lá= blood, originally given to the first Teutonic pair, Ask and Embla; læti= motion. Combined with lá, "blood", this designates the way a conscious being moves and acts, representing the animal elements as separated from the plant element we were created from. Form, speech, hearing and sight.)
There are two more elements which make up humans that were already found in Ask and Embla when they were still trees, called lik (earthly matter) and a vegetative force.

Litr is the name which the inner body is designated and upon the condition of which the appearance of the body depends. This brings to mind one of the vedic sheaths. I can't find my book which talks about this. It might be the astral sheath, and I believe contains our karma.

I'd like to compare these various concepts with the vedic philosophy and see what similarities are there.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]