View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Where do I stand in relation to brotherhood sentiment? 

I'm curious how far my mentality is from the brotherhood. I found this forum and realized it is something I relate to, but there are some differences. It is hard in our perverted modern world to find many groups that still value traditional ways of man. I ask these questions with sincerity and have no intention of saying my view is right; rather, I wish to hear a counterpoint to my questions.

I understand that the initial founding of the brotherhood was at a dark time. The battle had been lost and these few carried on the traditions in secret. I also understand that there is no need to proclaim or distinguish yourself through speech, since the way we live and hold ourselves is telling enough. What I see and hear, however, is that numbers are still low and there is no way to stand against the dominant beliefs of the world.

I differ in believing that the strong must rule. Did the early tribal kings give way to the will of the masses? They were largely outnumbered, but the majority yielded to them. In all of the western stories we carry of warriors, Leonidas, Achilles, Alexander, Attila... each knew that the warrior lives through memory. It is the mark etched into the world and not the stories told in secret that define a warrior. I have a hard time accepting that a warrior does not rise to power out of tactical choice. To me, we take what is ours in battle and those who we leave behind honor our memory and remember our ways. I know those figures are not Odinists, but they have overtime entered our expanded culture as our warrior heroes.

I agree with the notions of strength and knowledge, but I cannot see clearly how stealing and charity are defined. In my view, charity is not always a form of humility. Throughout history, tribute has been given to the strong so that they do not assert power over property. Is a tribute charity? I think that one can proudly accept any contribution in the mindset that it is given to avoid conflict and out of fear. I do not for a second believe that poverty would not turn to revolt and bloodshed if those people were not given provisions. I see shame in the attitude of believing they are weak or powerless, rather than saying they take what is owed because it buys peace.

I see stealing as the action of a coward. A warrior does not steal, he takes what is his by right. The same attitude comes from stealing as from charity. There is a loss of self-respect when there is no realization that these things are owed. If such provisions are so needed, there is no excuse for anything other than bloodshed or submission to fix the slighted warrior. In no manner does the warrior hold his head high as a mere thief.

It seems hard to separate the life of a warrior from modern life in a way that makes proper sense. I have followed my path in realization that there is conflict. I see my territory and call it my own. No other, regardless of power roams without submission or conflict. A warrior is equal in reverence, but not in audacity. The world is full of the bold and disrespectful warriors who far too long have lived without restraint because they have not been challenged.

I find it impossible to live silently as a warrior because that means many actions must also remain hidden. We must remain disrespected and our territory trampled. I live as the wolf. When I see others look into my eyes, I expect they look away in fear; if they do not, I expect they believe to be my equal and see it as a challenge. I do not see such conflict and natural urge for dominance in the brotherhood. Daily, I find myself putting someone back into place through conflict. If we all asserted rule over our individual domains, it seems our territories and followers would all converge by now. That makes me doubt that others feel this way or stand so firmly.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:16 pm

Liolixli, you write with eloquence.

To address some of your many points:

1) When we speak of secrecy, we mean that we keep our involvement in the Brotherhood a secret. WE do not live secretly. Some of our members are men and women who possess fame and power in this world.

2) When we say it is better to steal than to accept charity, we mean that we are fiercely independent. Do not assume that passages have no meaning beyond the literal meaning. Remember that Odin is the god who speaks in poetry. Jehovah is the god who speaks like a lawyer.

You learn well, my friend.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:57 am

Intriguing, it always does my mind good to hear sentiments such as the above. It is refreshing, No?. Liolixli, you with you sharp mind, will do well on this path. OBL well done in getting those tediums of questions answered. Eloquent indeed on both sides

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:47 am

Thanks for the replies. I do not get online too often and usually only on mobile. It is refreshing to get to the point and have people speak out of wisdom rather than faith and opinion.

I have been spending more time reading the texts. They inspire me in ways that touch my heart. I find myself quoting them in daily life or remembering in situations. In the past, I might find comfort and coddling in other writing, but never anything inspiring. I wish I had taken interest earlier in life.

Ever since my experiences led me down this path, things seem to make much more sense in the world. I realize how much our culture in America has taught us to view things in the linear, but I see a cyclical universe now. I realize that many prophecies are not the mystical works of divinity, but simple science and mathematics. It is my belief now that many people will find a great earthquake and other events in the near future and fall back to faith. I have fear that they will have been misled and will find only a cunning being that tricked them into submission through knowledge of cyclical events.

I find myself much more at peace with those who annoy me. An older (not elderly) man stood ignorantly in my way the other day while I carried a big load. I would have once been angry with no way to positively vent the situation. In my new position, I consider that the man is weak and does not deserve a good death at my hand. I think as I have often that old age for most is a statement of their own failure to live a worthwhile life. I feel pity and learn a lesson rather than gain nothing.

My experience the last few years has been like that of an addict in rehab, slowly finding baring in reality from the perverted toxicity of modern life. It is nice to have somewhere to share such progress.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:06 am

One point not yet addressed in this thread:

Quote:
I differ in believing that the strong must rule. Did the early tribal kings give way to the will of the masses?

Among true warrior cultures, the leader is NOT a dictator. Warriors follow him because of his experience or courage--but the warriors feel free to abandon him any time.

Among true warrior cultures, the leader leads by example.

Later, in more decadent regimes, such as Medieval Christian kingdoms, kings ruled. They were able to rule because men had declined.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:46 am

My point of leaders was not that they seized power as dictators, it was that they were not subtle in the face of great adversity. I did not mean power as a show of force to subordinates, but in relation to the culture around them. I also, as you mention, consider power not just in physical ability, but also mental strength.

I think that your point actually strikes the heart of my feelings. The Romans and Christians through them took away much. Divine rule or noble birth plagues our world still today. We have elite bloodlines of power who have gotten there from centuries of deception and tyranny. The weak are tyrants who fear the strength in others. Those with power wish only to see fair contest and the best from others. There is no honor or glory in defeating the powerless or repressing the frail.. I agree that it is respect and honor that defines a strong leader.

What I mean of ruling is that without the strong leader, those around us will yield to tyrants. They do not always have the will to fight. It is not our hand that holds them to us, but our hand that reaches out to them as brothers. That is the bond of rule that I speak of when I say rule. I see too often that it is not the strong, as I further define, but the treacherous and most vile that rule now.

I brought up some of my issues because I have seen them in my own life. I have backed down too often from issues of importance or yielded too easily to chose comfort over peace of mind. That is why I made the point. I do not believe that a man lives without reaching full potential without also having a much greater burden than the strife of the conflict avoided.

I felt it odd that we have so many leaders who do not feel this way, yet a brotherhood who should be seen more visibly in our lives as the true leaders. Not that they should admit names and locations, but that we should see them in our local lives pushing back and fighting for us. That is a sight seldom seen... a person truly wishing to see liberated and proud people.

This is the best I can summarize my larger sentiment. Where are the gods now? We do not pinpoint them. They may be revealed from time to time, but they live as the brotherhood claims. Yet, the time will come when they are called to battle. When balance must return and the forces of opposition strike furthest, they will reveal themselves and fight. I say that our world reaches that point and to remain without impact now is to ignore the horn and fate.

I do not call out members in my statement. As I said earlier, I only wished to see that I was of like mind. We all have our battles and place in the world. I simply wanted to see that secrecy was not the guise of those who wished to avoid what is honorable. It seems some are fairly comfortable, as I also have been mistakenly. I believe that time will come soon and we will be called out to meet purpose. Those men who would answer, I wish to call brothers; thus, I check my sentiment to theirs.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:11 pm

On power, the lion is the king of the savannah, but being king means that he and his cubs are free. The lion hunts when he wishes.

Power to the Odin Brotherhood means personal power and personal freedom. We and our families live free.

We have no interest in saving strangers. We are not about rescuing quadrupeds from jackals.

Of course, if someone wants to engage in such activities, he may....

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:22 am

This lion hunts when his taxes are paid and his game is in season with the approved weapon and appropriate allotment. I see your point though. To each his own. What we call our pride differs and some roam closer to home.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:08 am

I thought more about the comparison to the lion, yet found myself struggling in my mind. I do not view such exchanges as absolutes, but as a mind seeking growth. I was content to say that perhaps I could focus on the solitary aspect of things and see the idea of the hunter in that light.

The stranger and the quadruped would both be seen as important to the lion. If a poacher, be it man or beast, entered the domain of the lion, it would be a threat. The gazelle belongs to the lion dead or alive. It would not sit idle as another creature took the kill and mostly not allow it to enjoy the bounty. It does not protect the weaker creature because it has care or compassion, but because it places value on the domain and those who seek to claim any dominance within it.

I find fault in notion otherwise that we do not protect all within our land from any who would try to claim it. I also specify that my notion of weaker was not intended as prey or heard stock, but as those subordinate such as the cub or lesser pride. If the lion does not assert itself or runs from aggression, this action reflects upon those weaker. They, in turn, run or learn the lesson of cowardice. That is why I say that power over the domain, be it clan or immediate family (pride or cubs), is part of the strong rising to rule.

Just as much, when I explain the rise to power, that is no different than letting lesser lions within the pride assert dominance; worse yet, the very stranger who yielded no care, taking influence for having made the leader seem weak. I do not see a time when subordination is not fitting or when a potential threat should not be eliminated.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I briefly looked into it. I'll try to find the text later. Sounds a lot like Nietzsche, but hopefully some other insights. I try to make sense of what to me is a broken world. While I defend and speak of what I believe is more the lion, I aspire to such words and live as a lion in a zoo. I imagine a way back to natural peace, but cannot find the right path.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:31 pm

odinbrotherhoodlives wrote:

We have no interest in saving strangers. We are not about rescuing quadrupeds from jackals.

I'm curious about the separate meaning of generosity and charity. I understand that Thor is considered to be very generous. So generosity must not be a personal failing in the Odinist morality. Only charity is.

Perhaps the difference is that charity is more condescending? We belittle the people we seek to help by treating them as beggars and inferiors.

I once saw a homeless person covering themselves in a blanket in Winter, and caughing uncontrollably. I went to a supermarket and purchased some hot soup and brought it to them. They seemed to appreciate the gesture. I then considered the likelihood they might need shelter later on in the evening, and handed them twenty dollars. The bright look in their eyes darkened a bit. I think somewhere in that exchange I crossed the line between treating them as an equal and then as a beggar. I wish I had kept the twenty dollars.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:45 am

I resurrect this thread as I think that the concepts of charity and generosity are as important now as in the past.

For me, charity does not equate in monetary value. Charity can be as little as helping someone cross the street, donating old clothes in a charity drive (where those that are needy are able to purchase these clothes for a dollar or two), providing tinned food for a food drive. This is our ability to assist those in need without giving them pity. No one wants pity and I believe that handing money over indicates pity.

For me, generosity is also not monetary. Generosity can be as unimportant to us as sitting with someone who has a problem and spending time with them to work their issues out, aiding a child to read by giving up of your time, taking an elderly member of your community for a walk or to do their shopping. All of these things are done with generosity of time - a precious commodity no one has too much of in our decadent times.

Quote:
Odinbrotherhoodlives wrote:
On power, the lion is the king of the savannah, but being king means that he and his cubs are free. The lion hunts when he wishes.

Power to the Odin Brotherhood means personal power and personal freedom. We and our families live free.

Having said the above, I agree with OBL. We cannot concern ourselves trying to save strangers when those strangers do not want to be saved. We must concentrate on ourselves and our families. Therein lies our future. Storm

Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:47 am

I define generosity as concerning family, friends, and those you personally know to be deserving of a gift. This may be along the lines a gift, your service, or financial.

Charity is for strangers, people who you have no expectation of returning the gesture.

Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]