View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Is there an afterlife? 

sweinodinsson wrote:
Baleyg wrote:
sweinodinsson wrote:
I wonder if there are any writings in the lore that mention the dead seeing our actions. For instance, when we do something in honor of them. The cosmos is so large, how would they be able to? I don't know.

It would be a comforting thought and sometimes I wonder. Highly doubted. I would not long for death, or seek companionship in its' halls.

I like what you said and something Tyrsman said about living this life and not worrying about the afterlife until you get there.
A friend of mine and I talked about this today and he was telling me a video he watched on YouTube from some religious guy talking about how Christians ultimate goal is to go to heaven and how most focus on that. Then he said, "If you are just living to die, why don't you just kill yourself and get on with it." Something to that effect.

When one has given up on life and has staked everything on dying - one concerns not to remain confused in the wisdom of the world. When one aches to avoid death and to absorb all knowledge, it is him who despises death most thoroughly. Even the greatest of warriors can be led down the wrong path, but we ought be very thankful it has successfully eliminated many players in the game.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:15 pm

A person who thought like that and then died, would probably become obsessed with the next life. The life after death after death.

There is always some great threshold we haven't crossed. Apparently the dead rise again after Ragnarok (or some of them, at least). And they enter a new world. I can imagine a pair of spirits having a deep discussion about how best to prepare for the after-Ragnarok life.

Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:31 am

8-j wrote:
A person who thought like that and then died, would probably become obsessed with the next life. The life after death after death.

There is always some great threshold we haven't crossed. Apparently the dead rise again after Ragnarok (or some of them, at least). And they enter a new world. I can imagine a pair of spirits having a deep discussion about how best to prepare for the after-Ragnarok life.

You are wrong to quote the words of old men like they are written without flaws. I will tell you, when you are dead you are dead. I just cannot imagine our sleep is anything like life. Enjoy it while you can, please my brother. Do not dissuade your self to succumb to the lies. And if there exists any way to live beyond

Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:56 am

Well I am in no hurry to find out, because I am not ready to be separated from my children.

Even though a part of me likes a romantic notion of going to Valhalla, there would be no reunion with my girls in the house of Odin, and even if the dead return after Ragnorok would we be the same people with the same family ties we have now?

No for me it is best to concentrate on this life and preparing my girls for their own.

Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:47 am

Hroda Alwynsson wrote:
Well I am in no hurry to find out, because I am not ready to be separated from my children.

Even though a part of me likes a romantic notion of going to Valhalla, there would be no reunion with my girls in the house of Odin, and even if the dead return after Ragnorok would we be the same people with the same family ties we have now?

No for me it is best to concentrate on this life and preparing my girls for their own.

consider the perspective many do not even have the honor. You have sought comfort in our arms, I would not deny you. I can not lie to you regarding death, though. It is best you do not focus on it.

Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:23 am

Teachings of the Odin Brotherhood:

And what is death in concrete terms? According to the legends of Balder, death occurs when the entire soul leaves the tabernacle that is the body. The soul survives death - death is not annihilation, so the soul will endure.

It is in the OB Library.

Stormr

Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:56 am

The answer will come.

Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:28 am

Focus on this life, an afterlife will come regardless of whether you know what it is or not.

What you leave behind when you go to said afterlife, is what matters.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:18 pm

Baleyg wrote:

You are wrong to quote the words of old men like they are written without flaws. I will tell you, when you are dead you are dead. I just cannot imagine our sleep is anything like life. Enjoy it while you can, please my brother. Do not dissuade your self to succumb to the lies. And if there exists any way to live beyond

Even in suggesting that we sleep, you have already proposed a version of the afterlife.

But why assume it is restful? Why should it not be just as challenging and interesting and difficult as the life we live now? A different kind of challenge, though. This time while we are alive may be the only chance we get to play the game we are playing right now, so it would be wise to experience as much of it as possible.

The next one will be different. Not better. Not worse. Just different.

But struggle is a fundamental law of existence. I really doubt there is anywhere you can go to get away from it for long.

Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:47 am

AfterLife, or as I like to think After Life.

No one really knows, we have a belief. Some religions have developed a heaven concept of rewards, some have created a spiritual enlightenment a Nirvana.

In Asatru et al we have a fundamental difference of opinion in one group Vallhalla and the other Nothing it would seem, I want to explore nothing as Valhalla has been flogged to death.

Nothing, an after life of nothing is a misnomer, its not a concept its a deliberate non explanation of fact.

Two powerful verse's in the Edda's ;

Cattle die, kinsmen die,*
the self must also die;
but glory of reputation never dies,
for the man who can get himself a good one.

Cattle die, kinsmen die
the self must also die;
I know one thing which never dies:
the reputation of each dead man

Carolyne Larringtons 2014 revised edition.

Both these Stanza's talk about the After Life as simply you will be survived by your Reputation, think of someone famous or an ancestor why do you or how do you remember them, good or bad but never indifferent.

In the Mirabello Book it states that a lead tablet is placed in the barrow of the dead to communicate, this gives credence to a understanding our ancestors believed that you lived out your days in your Barrow. This i also believe is evidenced in archaeology in relation to the amount of grave goods found.

I can expand on this theory, it does not dismiss the possible Valholl concept, but i believe our pre-Christian ancestors had a different worldview prior to this interaction with christianity. Some of my thoughts develop from 'The Road to Hel' by Hilda Roderick Ellis.

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:21 pm

Hákon, the words you speak reflect my thoughts. Thank you for your careful elaboration of the old texts.

I don't imagine the concept of "nothingness" was foreign to an ancient society much accustomed to death. I simply don't believe all people subscribe whole to the concept that there is an "after life"

People who accumulate enough knowledge or experience (modern times is helped accelerated by the freedom of information) and play the game of life just slowly lose their belief in words (fantasies) and place their faith more on things that can be affected.

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:43 pm

I once almost died during an electrocution, the pain had stopped and I was beginning to lose consciousness, for me there was no tunnel with a light at the end, and no flames either, just a nothingness.
So either:
a) I wasn't as close to death as I believe.
b) neither Hel or anyone else wanted me (my death would not have been worthy of Valhalla).
c) or what I had to look forward to after my death was nothing. (which I strangely felt comfortable with, but this was before I had a family)

Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:39 pm

Hroda Alwynsson wrote:
I once almost died during an electrocution, the pain had stopped and I was beginning to lose consciousness, for me there was no tunnel with a light at the end, and no flames either, just a nothingness.
So either:
a) I wasn't as close to death as I believe.
b) neither Hel or anyone else wanted me (my death would not have been worthy of Valhalla).
c) or what I had to look forward to after my death was nothing. (which I strangely felt comfortable with, but this was before I had a family)

We are always on the verge of death. If we will call others liars for teaching afterlife will we convince ourselves the play should last forever?

Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:40 am

In Mirabello's book he talks about going to a place called "Dream World" where everything is possible and nothing is real.

If you've ever seen the movie "Inception" then I suspect it is quite a bit like that.

Some will choose to dream alone. Others will gather together and share in collective dreams.

Those who cannot leave the material world behind will probably linger at their graves, or become ghosts.

A consequence of this is that "heaven" is a real place. A collective dream being imagined and experienced by groups of Christians. There is probably more than one of them. It is neither the best, nor the worst of the places you can visit.

Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:05 am

It's unfortunate the "21 gram" experiment is not easily ethically replicated

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:11 am

Baleyg wrote:
It's unfortunate the "21 gram" experiment is not easily ethically replicated

I saw a documentary stating it's massive increase in bacteria it makes sense, that said I belief the soul isn't something that can be messured by such means

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:15 am

Energy does not cease to exist. It just changes forms. It is the cycle of life.

Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2