View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The idea of community 

I understand that this idea probably differs from the thinking of the brotherhood but I thought I should put it out there.

I know that the Odin brotherhood was born from a dark time for our brothers and sister. It seems to me that many of the ideas around the secrecy of the brotherhood come from this time, when it was a necessity to remain in the shadows for survival. However, having practiced in secrecy and alone for many years I always wondered why in this day and age odinists didn't come out of the shadows a little and at least create some comunity or temples or a place to gather with other brothers and sisters. My life expeiance has been a difficult one and I benefited emensely from following odins path. If we had more of a presence in modern society we would have the chance to change the lives of so many, and also maybe begin to cure the world of the weakness that it has fallen to. Why do we continue to hide our ideas when we could use our bravery, courage and self- empowerment for such good.

Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:00 pm

And as a follow up.
Even when we do not share our views widely with the world, why do we hesitate with comunity amongst ourselves. Why do we stay anonymous? We by nature are amazing people who have vast achievements and are destined for great things. If our comunity was more cohesive we would wield amazing power.

Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:09 pm

I cannot speak for The Brotherhood but I can give my reasons for my participation on this forum and why I am attracted to the Brotherhood's tenants.

Many of the members of the forum ARE active public proponents of our beliefs but there are some of us whose personal beliefs must be kept a secret due to their family, occupational, or social situations. For myself it is mainly a matter of family with my occupation following closely behind.

I would very much like to sit in fellowship with like-minded folk but I have resigned myself to the fact that I will most likely remain a solitary follower for the foreseeable future.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:40 am

As individuals, we are free to do whatever we wish. The brotherhood does not say that we may not meet and gather. They simply do not take part in such things or publicity. Should any of us be invited, the limitation is simply that we do not intertwine such things and for good reason.

As it stands, the brotherhood is distant and untouchable. There is no great crusade to rid it from existence nor hate placed upon it by the actions of members. The purpose of the brotherhood is to hold our standards of lore, advise us, and provide a place of safe communication for centuries, as members often point out. It is our place, as we see fit, to live and act upon such things in our personal lives.

I am more than happy to gather and free to myself. I do understand some. None I have met should ever challenge my beliefs, as I am a powerful speaker. I have little worry for friends, family, or even local faiths of other sorts turning on me. In the public, however, my business relies on other faiths. I must keep them happy. It is just good business to separate things and not use such public place as a place of protest or affirmation of faith.

It is not always an issue of pride nor of fear. It is simply doing what is best to further our own standing. Odin is not Jesus. He does not care that we deny him in public. He only cares what is in our heart. Given the chance and appropriate power, I would freely display my beliefs. Yet, when lacking full authority, it is best to draw no attention and make content those who could pose a threat or harm profit.

Do not think by this that I mean to avoid conflict or shrug off insults. I am often too easily drawn to violence or conflict. As much as others see these ways as a spark of aggression and rawness returning to their life, I see it as a means of wisdom above brute strength, which has long been missing in my life. I simply mean that there is a time and place for things and that not all conflicts or points are proper and best served at every given opportunity.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:22 am

Also, speaking specifically of the Odin Brotherhood -keeping in mind I am not a member and cannot speak for them-, it is a secret society whose adherents are Odinists/Asatruar/Northern Traditionalists (or other names I have not mentioned). The OB is separate from Odinism in that the two words are not synonymous. The brotherhood demands secrecy for itself, not for Odinism. Preserving the lore so that as the saying goes 'when the world is pregnant with lies...'

As for individuals, we are all capable of sharing our ideas but as liolixli mentioned, for many of us there are real risks involved.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks everybody for the great points. I had not intended to offend anybody. I certainly understand the dangers of publicly standing with our odinism or any pagan belief. I have lost friends and business opportunities as a result of my beliefs. like I said in my earlier post the majority of us were chosen by the northern gods because we are amazing people with great destinies. I think that we would make a fearsome and powerful community if we worked together in a meaningful way and the world would be better for it.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:31 pm

Our time will come. Be patient.

Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:14 am

The claim of wide acceptance toward other belief systems is really just a pretense. You still have to worship Jesus. You just get to call him by whatever name you want to.

It is ok to wear a Mjolnir pendant, so long as what Mjolner represents to you is something along the lines of being nice, holding hands, and singing "Kumbaya" with all the other peoples of the Earth.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:52 am

One of the symptoms of our weakening society is the widespread "can't we all just get along?" mentality. There is a massive movement that wants to stamp out the recognition of differences.

Just one example can be found here: http://odinistpressservice.tumblr.com/post/108246491347/branded-racist-at-five-a-little-girl-who-said-her

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:06 am

The world has gone mad. When a child can't speak to another child for fear off offending them, society has reached the bottom of the pit. There are people speaking out about issues such as this and how the world has taken political correctness to the extreme, as in :

Quote:
...But exactly what is political correctness? Some people claim that political correctness is about being nice to people, being tolerant and treating others with respect. But that's just good manners.

Political correctness is designed to undermine free speech, common sense and debate in the public arena. It is an instrument of the Left, who use it to push their ideas onto society.

Political correctness is not a concept that came about overnight. It has slowly been infiltrating our society and undermining our culture. And therefore we often fail to recognise the change that has occurred.

Let me just give you a few examples of the extremes of PC that our society already has to put up with:

• Santa was banned from saying "Ho ho ho", for fear of offending women.

• Sea World re-named fairy penguins "little penguins" to avoid offending the gay community (and even the gay community thought that was a bit over the top).

• A member of parliament's maiden speech is now called their "first speech".

• We have "chairperson" instead of chairman, and "female actor" instead of "actress".

• We shy away from saying "blackboard" and use "chalkboard" instead.

The list goes on...

You can read the full article here http://newsweekly.com.au/article.php?id=3462 which is an interesting read.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:12 am

I do not understand why "political" correctness is an issue for individuals. It does make sense that a public figure would want to optimize support and avoid offending anyone. It makes no sense that an individual care about wider public opinion. That is not to say that they should care nothing of general public opinion, simply that offending most people, for the average person, has no bearing on success.

It is part of our culture to fight and taunt other people. We all bring our European fun to America. All Western European ancestry love to fight, since we are like cousins and brothers. Literally, most of us are likely connected as distant cousins through the growth of culture. You see English, Welsh, French, and German Americans enjoying insults to the past heritage in private. Even though it is unsaid, we always try to outwork each other and feel ashamed to be bested by one of those people. You could break those down into further regions.

In the states, we divide over sports. We still have a North/South passive hostility. It is healthy to bond this way. Of those targeted PC groups, I have seen nothing other than success from their acceptance of the cultural tradition. Women who compete with men physically get respect without having to ask, neither do they often feel threatened or offended. Gays who are open with others and take no offense are often accepted as brothers or sisters to the group.

Ultimately, in the states, Latin groups have become the same as the old European cousins. We have lived together so long that each decade brings us closer together. The process of PC has no effect. It is like the merger of two galaxies. It will be violent, but everyone will eventually emerge united. We have seen this largely with the black community. They might whine of lingering racism or inequality, but much of that has passed. We are far more one cohesive community in the states than they give credit. As more of them become Westernized, they do not see division.

The trouble with some people is that ethnically, they came from cultures that did not have such standards. They have genetics that do not allow them to easily adapt to such a culture. It is mainly an issue of having weak ancestors in their specific bloodline. We look too much at those things in abstraction. women, men, gay, straight, skin color.... none of these things matter alone. They should not be protected alone either. If one of that group is weak or of bad blood, they honestly have no future. PC just protects the rejects of the entire mixed herd. They will still fail eventually, even if it takes a few generations.

I notice that the article talks about religion and traditional family values a lot. That might be an issue for some groups of countries. As much as I hear people talk about threats and failure to find community with Pagan values, I see nothing of the sort occur. I am not sure what is different among regions. I spoke of the Western Europeans. Even after hundreds of years of Christian families, although some likely just for show, I do not see a lasting impact. We are of Pagan blood and those around me often have more fascination and draw toward me than distrust or hostility. I even see those past influences, as I overhear people talk to others about their growing draw together traditional pagan values that they learned from me.

In my opinion, good values promote themselves. Things that make sense and benefit an individual do not need protection or any advocate. All that is required is that a person have a brief moment of seeing that wake-up call or being reminded that there is more out there than they were told. Usually, fear, as with the Christian and Muslim values, comes from having irrational standards that cannot exist when people start to question.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Liolixli, I agree with your comments. There are some countries more so that have grown much weaker than others. I think some of this has to do with the settlers that first arrived there - and those that have emigrated there ever since then. I have lived in the country in which the article was written so I have an understanding of the culture and society there. They pride themselves on being a large 'melting pot' of peoples and cultures, which isn't working. I think they are so far down the track now they can't amend their mistakes. People see it as a land of good living, easy morals, broad acceptance and laziness - all of which, unfortunately, are true. As a result, they have lost their warrior instinct of survival, and ultimately their survival of the fittest. Instead they see everyone as an equal who deserves the same rights, be they serial killer, benefit bludger, 70hr a week worker or drug addict. I make broad sweeping statements that speak for the majority, not all, of the inhabitants.

In conversation with someone there, I mentioned the values by which I teach my children, mainly honor, courage, truth and respect. Their comment was "wow, those are amazing values to teach a kid. I wish that more people taught those values". To me, that comment spoke volumes. And yet if I said I was pagan, I would be shunned ... figure that one out! Clearly that doesn't fit into their 'melting pot'!

Storm

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:52 pm

Odinsbear wrote:
I understand that this idea probably differs from the thinking of the brotherhood but I thought I should put it out there.

I know that the Odin brotherhood was born from a dark time for our brothers and sister. It seems to me that many of the ideas around the secrecy of the brotherhood come from this time, when it was a necessity to remain in the shadows for survival. However, having practiced in secrecy and alone for many years I always wondered why in this day and age odinists didn't come out of the shadows a little and at least create some comunity or temples or a place to gather with other brothers and sisters. My life expeiance has been a difficult one and I benefited emensely from following odins path. If we had more of a presence in modern society we would have the chance to change the lives of so many, and also maybe begin to cure the world of the weakness that it has fallen to. Why do we continue to hide our ideas when we could use our bravery, courage and self- empowerment for such good.

Hi,
The Asatru Folk Assembly now has NewGrange Hall. I think there may be one or two other Hoffs in America. I think that is cool, but I would hate to see them pop up everywhere and become like a cookie cutter Christian church.
I agree that it would be wonderful to have an Odinist community-not to change the world (only individual people can change themselves), but it would be great to be with our own kind.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:58 pm
Site Admin

The Brotherhood will always remain secret because we think in terms of centuries.

When dragon ships were sailing the seas and the Christians were running like frightened mice, who could have guessed that one day the Christians would dominate?

Do not assume the present will be the future.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:05 am

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
The Brotherhood will always remain secret because we think in terms of centuries.

When dragon ships were sailing the seas and the Christians were running like frightened mice, who could have guessed that one day the Christians would dominate?

Shortly before this, 4500 Saxons had been beheaded for refusing to convert and bow down to Charlemagne. There were also multiple times, before and after this, when revolting Saxons were subdued by the Frankish armies. Yes, at times the Christians were running frightened, but we were defeated by their armies each time because they were unified and we were not. Now, Christianity is far from unified and has become tame.

The Odin Brotherhood is strong now because it is hidden. When the time comes to emerge into the open, our ranks will be strong and unbreakable, as our mindset has been forged in fire. There are times when it is unwise to accept the offer of battle (take Brutus, on the second day of Philippi) yet on other occasions one may wish to offer battle to the enemy. Take the Saxons who revolted against Charlemagne: if they had only unified into an army with a proper strategy, instead of warring amongst each other or raiding, then they would've stood a much greater chance.

I am not a member yet, merely a fellow Odinist who understands the importance of timing and secrecy. Our battle for now is mental, who knows what the next battle is?

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Locke wrote:
OdinBrotherhood wrote:

Shortly before this, 4500 Saxons had been beheaded for refusing to convert and bow down to Charlemagne. There were also multiple times, before and after this, when revolting Saxons were subdued by the Frankish armies. Yes, at times the Christians were running frightened, but we were defeated by their armies each time because they were unified and we were not. Now, Christianity is far from unified and has become tame.

The Odin Brotherhood is strong now because it is hidden. When the time comes to emerge into the open, our ranks will be strong and unbreakable, as our mindset has been forged in fire. There are times when it is unwise to accept the offer of battle (take Brutus, on the second day of Philippi) yet on other occasions one may wish to offer battle to the enemy. Take the Saxons who revolted against Charlemagne: if they had only unified into an army with a proper strategy, instead of warring amongst each other or raiding, then they would've stood a much greater chance.

I am not a member yet, merely a fellow Odinist who understands the importance of timing and secrecy. Our battle for now is mental, who knows what the next battle is?

I feel like war is near. Really...War is ever present. Due to life in cushy suburbia, it is easy for people to block out the fact that the whole world IS at war. It is just varying intensities. For instance: all these "refugees". To me this immigration of muslims across the world is just a low intensity warfare strategy. All the commercials and tv shows that low key encourage the destruction of our heritage through destroying our bloodlines is psychological operations/civil affairs. Then we have the jihad -open warfare and guerilla warfare. Then we have the oil economy controlled by Arabs = economic warfare.
I think that the Odin Brotherhood has its place, as well as organizations such as the Odinic Rite and Asatru Folk Assembly. We need OVERT AND COVERT organizations. Example: Sinn Fein and the IRA.
Within the Odinist community, we need more unity. To me the biggest hurdle to conquer is not giving into strict dogma with the unity. We don't want to become like Christian and have Baptists, presbiteryans, Methodists, catholics, etc. Of course, there may be no choice.
We needs our own media outlets. We need to learn to barter and trade with one another. We need to be closer to nature and not be so dependent upon the Chinese and Middle East.
Most of all we need to come together. I am not saying that the Odin Brotherhood should start a community together....just that Odinists should. The beauty of the Odin Brotherhood being a secret organization is that members could be anywhere.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:11 pm

Historically it takes something extremely significant to unite our people for a common cause. It is doubtful that this likely to happen anytime in the near future. More likely is that individuals and small groups will rise against what they see as a threat.

Stay grounded in reality - an Odinist nation or army, whether covert or operating openly, is fantasy...at least in our lifetime.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:51 pm

Tyrsman wrote:
Historically it takes something extremely significant to unite our people for a common cause. It is doubtful that this likely to happen anytime in the near future. More likely is that individuals and small groups will rise against what they see as a threat.

Stay grounded in reality - an Odinist nation or army, whether covert or operating openly, is fantasy...at least in our lifetime.

I just meant a community. The reason I said all that about being at war is because someone said "who knows when the next battle is" and the whole world is in the midst of battle.
The reason I wrote about overt and covert...is because the Odin Brotherhood is a secret society, but there are also open groups. We need both.
The way we have a community without boundaries is by doing the things that I said. We should. Jews, Muslims, and Christians have their communities within communities. We should too.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:05 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
I just meant a community. The reason I said all that about being at war is because someone said "who knows when the next battle is" and the whole world is in the midst of battle.
The reason I wrote about overt and covert...is because the Odin Brotherhood is a secret society, but there are also open groups. We need both.
The way we have a community without boundaries is by doing the things that I said. We should. Jews, Muslims, and Christians have their communities within communities. We should too.

Perhaps someday our numbers will grow to the point where that is possible.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:06 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
Tyrsman wrote:

Having such a comminity would be good but, in the current social and political climate breaking one's annonimity might be ill advised in my opinion.

The progressive goverments and media outlets would jump on the oppertunity to draw attention from their own failings and corruption by branding the above mentioned community as neo-nazis/white supremists, many of the topics on this forum are of such a nature that they could easily be missconstrued to suit a particular narrative or by someone without the neccesary frame of reference to understand some of the more speculative posts.

This could be quite harmful to one's career and those close to him/her, as Tyrsman stated it might be possible with larger numbers in the future to which I would add a neccesary future shift in perceptions of the general public...patience might be the best course of action for the time being.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next