View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Our Gods and the Indo-European Gods 

Yesterday, I visited the temple of Olympian Zeus in Athens and poured a libation. This, as well as all of the other temples and statues I have seen, got me thinking about the different Indo-European gods. I was reading some old threads re-read that the Odin Brotherhood believe all Indo-European gods are the same, but the law has just been corrupted by civilisation- Thor is Zeus, Jupiter and Indra.

My line of thinking, following this route, takes two paths: either the gods presented themselves differently to different cultures, or the different cultures gave the gods their own characteristics. If the lore is simply corrupted, then why is Zeus depicted in a Chiton and Jupiter in a tunic? Why are thunderers the "head" of the pantheons for Rome and Greece but not the Norse? And shouldn't it follow that since the sky gods are the Chiefs and come from Dyeus, then Tyr should be the chief and the thunderer, not Odin or Thor? Why do different pantheons call to different people?

An additional thing to note is that no other pantheon has a god of wisdom as their head deity.

An alternate explanation, that runs contrary to OB Lore, would be that different Indo-European counties have different gods. However I am inclined to believe that the IE Gods are the same, since I woke up this morning after a dream (which is now mainly forgotten) involving lightning and fighting a giant with mjolnir.

I would be very interested in finding out the opinions of others on this forum.

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:46 pm

Something interesting to note is that Tacitus equated Donar to Herakles

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:08 pm

Eternal Dawn wrote:
Excellent topic! I agree that the Indo-European gods and goddesses are the same, whether you look Celtic, Germanic, Slavic, or Vedic. They have different names and terminology, but essentially the same core. People have unique perspectives about the gods and goddesses, but share the same core belief. I believe that is all that matters. I view polytheism as a cosmic truth, every single culture was once polytheistic, and I see every polytheistic religion as a truth, whether Shinto or Hindu, all of them witnessing the multiple divinity, and having their own perspectives about them. Great post, once again!

Academically, that idea is called "archetypalism" :)

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:26 pm

An archetype can mean many things- and personal beliefs may vary.

The commonly held belief is that humanity gravitates towards honoring Gods that represent needs and desires that are pretty universal throughout humanity: Sun, Moon, Fertility, War, Death, Birth, etc.

However.

My belief is that the Gods are so great and vast and known travellers that they have different names or are viewed differently by different cultures.
An easy example is Loki... Academically, it is believed he originated from stories sourced from the Babylonian benevolent trickster God, Enki.

However, here is a list of Gods from all over the world who have been described of holding the archetype of the "despised genius" or "benevolent trickster"

Enki
Prometheus
Inari
Papa Legba
Anansi
Mercury/Hermes
Coyote

Here are some who fit the archetype (loosely) of Tyr:
Tengari
Tuisto
Ares/Mars (I dispute this)
Dievs
Wolf (NW Native American- not central Native American)

Freyja:
Inanna
Ishtar
Lilith
Persephone (as a psychopomp/fertility Goddess)
Belili

Hela:
The Morrigan
Hekate
Eresh-kegal
Holle (but this is disputed by some in Urglaawe)

Frigg:
Ceres/Demeter
Mara
White Buffalo Woman

Njord:
Neptune

Thor:
Perkuns/Perkunas
Donar/Thunar
Zeus
Susano

Frey:
Cernunnos
Faunus
Pan
Bacchus/Dionysis
Jani (Latvian)

I am not wise enough to know if they are indeed aspects of the same God, or just local Gods that fulfill similar roles and functions. I wrote this very quickly off the top of my head recalling some of what I learned in my theology classes.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:47 am

Eternal Dawn wrote:
Very interesting! Although, I do not pay much attention to cognate deities anymore. I like to think of Freya as just Freya, for example. I don't see her as Aphrodite or Venus, although they're probably cognates. Mediterranean cultures defiled their gods and goddesses - that's what I think anyway. I believe the Nordic-Germanic spirituality is the purest and the closest to the original Indo-European Aryan spirituality.

Why do you think the Mediterraneans defiled their gods?

Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]