View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Nature worship and idols 

I have been reading about the Western Slavic tribes. I just read something on Wikipedia that has me curious and I thought that I would see if any of you on here knew more about this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutici#Religion <--- link to main article.

"Traditionally, the Lutici worshipped nature in sacred groves or at springs, lakes, and rivers.[22] There, worship and sacrificing were done in the open without the support of priests.[22] In addition, the Lutici maintained several cult sites.[22] The density of Lutician temples was the highest in the whole Slavic settlement area.[22] As of 2002, about twenty such cult sites have been identified,[75] with Radgosc being the most important one before the Svantevit temple at Arkona took over the leading role after Radgosc's destruction.[55][75] Cult sites such as Radgosc were maintained by priests, and since in Lutician society politics was closely tied to religious beliefs and not ruled by a secular monarch, the Radgosc priests were extremely influential.[55] According to Thietmar (VI, 25), every Lutician region had its own temple, each home to a special idol.[11]
The maintenance of temple sites marks the transition from the worship of nature to the worship of idols representing personalized deities, a trend that in historiography is interpreted as resulting from contacts to Christianity.[75] While the erection of cult sites flourished since the 10th century, an idol dating to the 7th to 8th century has been found in Feldberg, and a cult site surrounded by planks was found in the fortress of Groß Raden, dating to the second half of the 9th century.[22]" -Wikipedia

"THE MAINTENANCE OF TEMPLE SITES MARKS THE TRANSITION FROM THE WORSHIP OF NATURE TO THE WORSHIP OF IDOLS REPRESENTING PERSONALIZED DEITIES, A TREND THAT IN HITORIOGRAPHY IS INTERPRETED AS REULTING FROM CONTACTS TO CHRISTIANITY." <------- This quote is what has piqued my interest the most.

I have read before that most likely our people first venerated the elemental spirits....then the Vanir....then as we became more warlike the Aesir. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but it does seem like a logical evolution. Then I read this quote.
What are your educated opinions? Do you have any further factual information that could expand my knowledge of this?

Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:52 pm

Something interesting I discovered right after posting this.
I was watching a video on YouTube from the "Thulean Perspective" where he is of the opinion that the Western Slavs (who I a m most interested in) descend from the Sarmatians. Then I was reading more about the Sarmatians where I read this quote, once again from Wikipedia: "The Sarmatians differed from the Scythians in their veneration of the god of fire rather than god of nature,..." This would seems to back up the evolution of going from elemental worship to by the time the Sarmatians were no longer, the worship of nature (not because of the Scythians, but if the Western Slavs were descended from Sarmatians).
I don't know, but I do know that there are people here a lot more educated than me and I look forward to a response.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]