View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Consolidating Resources 

Certain forum participants have expressed an eagerness to do something with their time and energy to actually put the way of the Gods to work. I would like to propose something.

Two books have been published about the Brotherhood. Their intended audience was relatively small and the material seems to raise more questions than it answers. I would like for you to consider taking this work further down the same road with some tweaks. I have in mind a plan to make available a series of essays (eventually books) on topics that would help bring the Aesir & Vanir to a more accepted position in contemporary philosophical circles. For example: one might start (like Kūkai) and write a series of essays on the world's best preserved religious books:

Our Perspectives on the Tanakh
Our Perspectives on the New Testament
Our Perspectives on the Koran
Our Perspectives on the Upanishads
Our Perspectives on the Bhagavad Gita
Our Perspectives on the Tao Te Ching
Our Perspectives on the I Ching
Our Perspectives on the Awakening of Faith
Our Perspectives on the Lotus Sutra
Our Perspectives on the Eddas

Other collections centering on other topics would be equally useful, the above is just an example for the sake of clarification.

We would simply open up a topic (on the forum, for example) and everyone contributes freely. The more voices and personalities the better. Then, a moderator consolidates the material (edits for space, flow, and quality) and we move on to the next topic until the project is complete. A well thought out discussion for each of the 10 topics listed above would easily be enough material for a full book. Think: approximately 20 pages per topic. Ideally, each chapter captures different ideas and resolves in a way that helps the reader to make better informed opinions. Unlike other similar literatures, we do not need an authoritative tone. One advantage of the Brotherhood (and the forum's) anonymity is that we do not have to represent anyone or anything; we can just put forward our best ideas and frankly, I believe that would make for a better read. The anonymity also would make for an easy fit in the entire Pagan community.

There are some legal and fiscal considerations that would need to be worked out, but there is no need in considering them if no one is interested. Is anyone interested? I think we would need at least 4 dedicated contributors to make this work well. More is always welcome.

r

Tue May 23, 2017 5:15 am

Sounds like a pretty good idea. Better than nothing, I say.
I'd be willing to offer whatever assistance I can, though my perspectives may be somewhat limited, as I have not read my of the religious texts you cited. I could offer the most feedback on the new and old testaments and on the Edda's, maybe even a bit on the Irish pantheon and lore.
Regarding the eastern traditions, my experience is limited to the heal in arts, primarily massage therapy and yoga, for what it's worth.
If there is enough interest, then it would probably be best to start with one topic at a time until you have enough material. For publishing, you could go the self publishing route on kindle/Amazon. They have a platform for that sort of thing, including paperbacks through Amazon, I believe.
Regarding legal matters, anyone participating in this would likely be giving their consent just by contributing their thoughts. So, as we are all anonymous, there isn't much possibility of royalties and such. Concerning profits, why not set prices to cover only the cost of the labour and publishing, since Amazon takes its cut on sales, same as kindle. If there are additional profits, considering there would be very little chance of distributing the funds to participants, you could consider donating it to a cause we all agree on.
Just my thoughts, and only a suggestion.

Mon May 29, 2017 9:10 am

I don't necessarily consider what we do here to be a religion - more of a historical restoration. I don't believe there is much more than what we can consider with our senses or measure with tools. Others will die debating this, so I must not express interest in atheism. The truth is, no one will ever know the truth. I have studied many of these religions to find the truth and have turned here as my last bough branch. I think more important than sharing our opinions on opinions is actually storing this information. We should each make a commitment to store and share the same information - to have the most backups and also to propagate our ways as more become interested. There is no knowledge not worth knowing if you have reasonable doubt.

Mon May 29, 2017 1:12 pm

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
The project is intended to create a philosophical dialogue with the more widely propogated cosmologies. Instead of a "religious canon", the idea would be to show how uniquely "Odinic" attitudes would manifest in conversation with other cosmologies. Such an investigation would eventually be valuable in informing epistemology and lived application of Odinism. With that said, the focus would be: reasoning based on Eddic Lore & experience rather than a logical free for all.
r

Mon May 29, 2017 10:42 pm

Fand, I like the donation suggestion using Amazon. I will start the topics one at a time over the summer, probably with a disclaimer of my intentions at the beginning of each of the topics. Assuming that we are not trying to convince anyone of a singular "Truth", but to flesh out ideas, I suspect this will go well. It should prove interesting to see how our dialogue develops at our forum Hall.
r

Mon May 29, 2017 10:50 pm

I would contribute to the Torah, New Testament and the Eddaic verses.

I see you listed the Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita. I recognize them as Indian, but don't know much about them, other than what I just pulled up on WIkipedia and skimmed through.

I hear and read a lot of mention of Vedic literature. Are these related to that? I am looking for a starting place to study these things as it relates to our people. Any suggestions?

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:42 am

I know that the Rigveda was not mentioned specifically, but the Upanishads are part of the Vedas and I am starting at the beginning with the Rigveda.
Something that I think is interesting is Rigveda 10.129

Who really knows? Who will here proclaim it?
Whence was it produced? Whence is this creation?
Gods came afterwards, with the creation of the universe.
Who then knows whence it has arisen?
Whether gods will created it or whether he was mute?
Perhaps it formed itself, or perhaps it did not.
Only he who is its overseer in highest heaven knows.
Only he knows, or perhaps he does not know.

I think it is interesting that the author of this spiritual book does not claim to know the answer. While it leaves possibilities, it seems to me that the author is leaning toward the idea that gods are a product of creation. The author also does not claim that gods are omnipotent.
It is also interesting to me that it is the RIGVEDA. Rig being a name for Heimdallr. The first book in the Rigveda mentions the radiant one. Rig being praise or shine and veda being knowledge.
Also interesting to me is the caste system mentioned in Vedic literature seems to involve the same classes as Germanic/Norse society, except that in the Indian system, they place priests above kings.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:32 am

I've always read the the Indo-European cultures were largely Aryan in origin. Ranging from the North to the Hellenes to the Hindus and some of what I read even goes so far as to claim Buddha was of the Aryan warrior class.
If all of this is true, then it would make sense to find similarities in the lore and ancient texts.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:17 am

sweinodinsson wrote:
I know that the Rigveda was not mentioned specifically, but the Upanishads are part of the Vedas and I am starting at the beginning with the Rigveda.
Something that I think is interesting is Rigveda 10.129

Who really knows? Who will here proclaim it?
Whence was it produced? Whence is this creation?
Gods came afterwards, with the creation of the universe.
Who then knows whence it has arisen?
Whether gods will created it or whether he was mute?
Perhaps it formed itself, or perhaps it did not.
Only he who is its overseer in highest heaven knows.
Only he knows, or perhaps he does not know.

I think it is interesting that the author of this spiritual book does not claim to know the answer. While it leaves possibilities, it seems to me that the author is leaning toward the idea that gods are a product of creation. The author also does not claim that gods are omnipotent.
It is also interesting to me that it is the RIGVEDA. Rig being a name for Heimdallr. The first book in the Rigveda mentions the radiant one. Rig being praise or shine and veda being knowledge.
Also interesting to me is the caste system mentioned in Vedic literature seems to involve the same classes as Germanic/Norse society, except that in the Indian system, they place priests above kings.

Excellent points. The responsibilities of each caste (which are aspects of dharma) are central to liberation according to Hindu lore. When we read the Bhagavad-Gitā we learn that no amount of good karma can justify failing your dharma. Dharma-orientation seems to be more important than personal judgment, which includes the nature of belief. As explained in the Rig Veda above "Only he knows, or perhaps he does not know."

Applied to Odinism we might see this as an emphasis on values (such as the Nine Noble Virtues) and accountability.

r

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:24 pm

Redson,
Your reply was very enlightening to me. It has given me something to think about.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]