View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Vikings 

Have any of you watched the series Vikings?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/

I have only watched the first 3 episodes. but I think it is very nice entertainment.
It is not 100% historically accurate, but still very funny to watch.

They do have quite a few links to Odinism, they even have a few scene's with what looks like Odin, and a scene were Valkyrie's carry dead soldiers from the battle field.

I dont knwo, what do you think?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:20 pm

I have seen it. I think it is worthwhile. I have learned a lot more than I expected. I kept doubting things that I saw, only to find myself researching them. Interestingly, many of them were true. First, I saw a bunch of articles about the sunstone. I have seen history of the journey that he makes to England, where it was accounted on both sides about the strange storm.

I thought the shield wall scene was absurd, only to find that Vikings did use the tactic. I'm still doubtful of it. Surely, some were more advanced fighters, but I do not think the average raider had such discipline. They depict them like a trained phalanx. I just can't see it being such with a band thrown together for a raid.

The more things that I see in the show and research, the more I do learn though. It is a good source of inspiration for learning new things that I would not have sought to research otherwise.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:32 am

I think the show is very well done. Vikings were larger, stronger, fiercer, and WANTED to die in battle, so they always had the edge. The imagery during the opening credits of 3 long ships intrigues me.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:13 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnar_Lodbrok

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:23 pm

liolixli wrote:
The more things that I see in the show and research, the more I do learn though. It is a good source of inspiration for learning new things that I would not have sought to research otherwise.

This i very much agree on! i have been looking up and researching a lot of things too because i see them in the show!

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:53 am

This show is entertaining but is terrible otherwise! Rollo (Ragnars brother) makes a statement upon defeating some Saxons that their steel was better then theirs. WRONG! Vikings had very advanced metallurgy, infact the famous Ulfbert swords were made of steel only being replicated in quality in our modern era. The fact that the Saxons didn't use the shield-wall they used often when fighting against the Britons under Hengest more then four-hundred years before this show would have been a common tactic.
Ragnar's son Bjorn (Who later becomes Bjorn Ironside) was I believe to be Ragnars 3rd son after Ivar and Ubbe the leaders of the "Great Odinist Army" that attacked England as described in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles.
The interpretation of alot of the history comes from the very biased accounts of many Christians priests who acted as missionary's to the Scandinavians.
Also the Saxons themselves come from an area around Denmark four hundred years earlier.. How did they have miraculous technology to cross the seas and know of Britain and not their Danish cousins? Acting as is Ragnar discovered the west is a huge fallacy? Seeing also how the Saxons made the crossing even when the Romans still ruled Britain with their shipbuilding techniques why is the new shipbuilding techniques to essentials?
This show was given is flashy name with about as much research as wikipedia could allow for accuracy and prepared without thought or logic. While I certainly enjoy the series as entertainment (especially when Laegetha is on screen) istshould be taken as just that.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:55 pm

BjornBerserk wrote:
This show is entertaining but is terrible otherwise! Rollo (Ragnars brother) makes a statement upon defeating some Saxons that their steel was better then theirs. WRONG! Vikings had very advanced metallurgy, infact the famous Ulfbert swords were made of steel only being replicated in quality in our modern era. The fact that the Saxons didn't use the shield-wall they used often when fighting against the Britons under Hengest more then four-hundred years before this show would have been a common tactic.
Ragnar's son Bjorn (Who later becomes Bjorn Ironside) was I believe to be Ragnars 3rd son after Ivar and Ubbe the leaders of the "Great Odinist Army" that attacked England as described in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles.
The interpretation of alot of the history comes from the very biased accounts of many Christians priests who acted as missionary's to the Scandinavians.
Also the Saxons themselves come from an area around Denmark four hundred years earlier.. How did they have miraculous technology to cross the seas and know of Britain and not their Danish cousins? Acting as is Ragnar discovered the west is a huge fallacy? Seeing also how the Saxons made the crossing even when the Romans still ruled Britain with their shipbuilding techniques why is the new shipbuilding techniques to essentials?
This show was given is flashy name with about as much research as wikipedia could allow for accuracy and prepared without thought or logic. While I certainly enjoy the series as entertainment (especially when Laegetha is on screen) istshould be taken as just that.

THANK YOU!

I came to this topic category to see if anyone else felt as I do about this laughable excuse for history because I am getting so tired of otherwise intelligent Asatru and Odinist sites praising it. It's nothing but a soap opera.

Your first point concerning the weapons? There is a National Geographic special on Vikings propagating that B.S. I saw previews of the episode and was so excited. By the end of the special, I wanted to rip the guy's head off and feed it to the woman to give her something to chew on other than the puke pouring from her mouth.

According to National Geographic, Vikings were morons who raped women and children as well as each other, and were mindless fighting machines because they were on drugs and couldn't control their hormones and temper. Their armor was inferior and easily cut through, and their shields broke at even the slightest blow. I was in such a blind rage throughout most of the show, I can't remember much more of what angered me. It's online. Just Google National Geographic Viking Special. Be prepared to want to throat punch the nearest person.

By the way: I have a cousin in Norway named Bjorn :)

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:49 pm

indeed, the show is not 100% historical accurate, but you can't deny that's very entartaining. the first episodes are really cool.
what i really hate though, is that the second season is so s*itty, because they passed from warriors thirsty for knowledge and adventure to love crap, traitors, fake dramas etc. it seems that the show now targets slanderous people who like to gossip about everything.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:39 pm

Alright guys, first I would like to apologize for any grammatical errors I make as I am posting this with my phone. I think the show is amazing, yes we all see some logical blunders, such as the shield wall being used by ragnars men but not the Saxons . But you have to realize that this is a TV show and they need convienincies for the plot. Yes the story of Ragnar lodbrok is altered in the series, but that is creative license. I don't know about any of you, but when I sit down to watch a tv series I want to be entertained, and inspired to do my own research. Not given the fully realistic run down of the "historical" events. Which FYI the legend of Ragnar is not , it was a heroic story they told to children and warriors around fires.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:19 am

Personally, I think that Vikings is actually a pretty good show. You have to remember, it wasn't made for us, it was made for general audiences, and for that it actually does a halfway decent job of showing many aspects of the Viking world. I view the series not as really a true attempt at a scholarly program but more like an attempt to smash together all of Viking history into one story-line.

So of course there will be some scholarly errors, like Ragnar Lodbrok, if he existed, definitely wasn't the leader of the Lindisfarne raiding party. Also the Vikings didn't establish the Danelaw, that is actually having land in England to settle and farm, until after the invasion of the Great Odinist Army in 865 led by Ragnar's sons. In addition some of the Viking tactics they depict on the show are hit and miss in terms of their authenticity. The shield wall combat depicted is actually accurate, as Viking war-bands may have appeared disorganized but actually had excellent communication and unity in battle. Another battle formation they depict is the wedge formation where the best warrior, in the show it is of course Ragnar, stood at the point of the wedge, this formation was used to break an opposing force's shield wall.

That said, some scenes where the Vikings go and meet the Saxons to fight on an open plain are utterly ridiculous. The reason why the Vikings practically brought Europe to its knees was that Viking war-bands operated like modern special forces do today. Small groups with excellent communication and superior close-quarters combat skill who would wait in forests to ambush their Christian foes who would be expecting to fight another traditional army rather than a small raiding force. The Vikings would lie and use deception at every possible opportunity to gain the advantage on their foes, like the famous raid on the city of Luna where Bjorn Ironside and Hastein deceived the city by saying that one of them had died and wanted a Christian funeral, then when they were brought into the city in a coffin with 50 robed men all of whom had swords beneath their robes, they jumped out and hacked down the Christian priests and proceed to sack the city.

Some other scenes in the show however, are directly traceable to what little "scholarly" sources are available on such things. For example, before the vikings head out on the first raid to Lindisfarne they are shown preparing by taking turns washing their faces and hair in a bowl of water brought by a slave-girl, any scholar would know that they obviously took this directly from Ahmad Ibn Fadlan's account of his interaction with the Rus on the river Volga in about 922. So it is somewhat inappropriate to take the reported hygiene habits of one tribe of Vikings who were on the Volga and apply it to the Danish Vikings depicted in the show, but to be fair, most people probably wouldn't know that it was taken from that particular source. Another example of this is when during the episode where they travel to Uppsala for the festival held there every nine years. Most of that episodes content, including the procedure for the sacrifices, was clearly taken directly from Adam of Bremen's writings, but in all fairness, there are not many other accounts for historians to go on of that particular event.

Despite all these fallacies however, the shows primary purposes entertainment, which I believe it fulfills fairly well. If people truly become interested in the Vikings because of it, then perhaps they will take the time to learn the true history of the Vikings for themselves.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:26 pm

BjornBerserk wrote:

I agree. I have watched the first season, and while it is somewhat entertaining, it is totally illogical and not well researched. The shield wall was indeed extremely common, and the way they break from their encampment in one episode against the Northumbrian force, abandoning the shield wall to storm into an open field where an enemy could close in from all sides, is ridiculous! They had a perfect advantage, which would allow them to pick off the enemy forces with minimal casualties, and they just waltz right out of it. Just for visual choreography, but totally asinine.
Ragnar's new way of navigating is just absurd, given that Saxons had long been in england. The ritual practices struck me more as satanist in style and over the top. So, the vikings had a well organised priest cast? I call **. Then the way they did the sacrifices also doesn't seem right. Or the way they pray and beg for their god's favour, like grovelling Christians.
What I think is this is the media's way of derailing the old ways.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]