View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Thale 

Finally got this in the US. The story is centered around two men discovering a huldra. The dub is impossible to tolerate, but the Norwegian is still included. I have always been fascinated with such creatures. It has been a great few years for cultural films. Valhalla Rising, Troll Hunter, and now this. Not to say they are equal in quality, but it is refreshing to see something in film that hold pieces of culture that we lost along the way over here. We even have questionable diluted hero Thor to watch lately. I'll still take that over completely Christian stories.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:25 am

This is on Netflix now- if not, it may be found on Pudlocker

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:36 am

liolixli wrote:
It has been a great few years for cultural films. Valhalla Rising, Troll Hunter, and now this. Not to say they are equal in quality, but it is refreshing to see something in film that hold pieces of culture that we lost along the way over here.

Another film that I recently stumbled across on Netflix is the Norwegian "Ragnarok". It is dubbed so you do not have to divide your attention between watching what is happening and reading subtitles.

Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:52 am

An excellent film, watched it sometime ago

Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:23 am

I wish I had something substantial to add to this but most of these I have not seen, though I do own Valhalla Rising (excellent film, though the planned "sequel" sounds erm... different...?).

I was mainly drawn here to ask where the love is for subtitles? I'd say roughly 25% of what I watch is subtitled, and I've never felt my attention is divided, in fact in many cases I prefer to hear the original language and have the words match the mouthing. Most dubbed voices suck big time, and I find my attention is more drawn to trying to match poorly dubbed script with the mouth movements on screen haha.

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations, I will have to watch the remainder of these.

Stigandr Melrakki
The Wanderer, White Fox

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:02 am

StigandrMelrakki wrote:
I wish I had something substantial to add to this but most of these I have not seen, though I do own Valhalla Rising (excellent film, though the planned "sequel" sounds erm... different...?).

I was mainly drawn here to ask where the love is for subtitles? I'd say roughly 25% of what I watch is subtitled, and I've never felt my attention is divided, in fact in many cases I prefer to hear the original language and have the words match the mouthing. Most dubbed voices suck big time, and I find my attention is more drawn to trying to match poorly dubbed script with the mouth movements on screen haha.

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations, I will have to watch the remainder of these.

Stigandr Melrakki
The Wanderer, White Fox

I also prefer subtitles, dubs just feel wrong

Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]