View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Way of the Odin Brotherhood by Jack Wolf 

Jack Wolf has written a very valuable work. The Way of the Odin Brotherhood is in one sense, a mystery, as Jack follows a trail of information, some given by his mentors, others by the Odin Brotherhood, and some from Crow, who Jack meets in a University Library.

Jack is not only a good storyteller, but he also has the gift of explaining things simply. Having said that, I must go on to say the information he presents is anything but simplistic. He says information must be looked at every possible angle, and in greater depth. In one example he talks of Bragi and Idunna and states that one must think deeply on this. Obviously telling us there is more to learn.

I don't want to reveal spoilers in the Way of the Odin brotherhood, but I'll touch on this because Jack mentions it at his web site:

Quote:
“The Re-Awakening: I had heard that term before and not only from Ari. Many years later I had heard it from Max and others. It referred to human beings waking up from the stupor of the modern day globalized, industrialized nightmare that our planet has been turned into – to awaken and take control of our destinies as separate, yet equally respected traditions and cultures. The reawakening was about a return to the Old Ways as well; the ways where people respected the Earth as sacred and not simply as a resource to be plundered.”

--From The Way of the Odin Brotherhood by Jack Wolf

It's vitally important that we wake up. I've read of the Re-Awakening in other books and articles as well.

One last thing, Jack mentions the necessity of not just reading and thinking but doing!

Thanks to Jack Wolf for writing The Way of Odin Brotherhood. It was worth the wait.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:04 pm
Site Admin

Thank you for the excellent review of an excellent book.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:32 am

I agree with John's review of this book. Jack Wolf writes about a deep and profound subject in a clear and simple manner. Delving into the the nature of what he covers is anything but simple. It's a lifetime's journey into what it is to be great or elite.

In many ways the Odin Brotherhood, and the teachings in this book, are an anachronism in this day and time. Most of us live in cultures that worship at the altar of celebrity. They value style over substance, celebrity and fame over genuine heroism, mistake cleverness for wisdom, and reduce greatness to the ability to chase a ball around a sports field. It creates people who want to be considered great without having to really be great. Then a book like this drops into the midst of the bleating mass of mediocrity who have no idea what to make of it.

The OB follows a way of life that does not just turn the banal living of the mass man on it's head, it posits a way of life that bears no relationship whatsoever to this seething mass of the common and vulgar. The Way of the Odin Brotherhood is a peek behind the curtain of the beliefs and actions of the OB, but even more than that it is a call to become someone great - to strive and fight to be elite. As John pointed out in his review it reminds us that reading and thinking are not enough, greatness is achieved through deeds. We become elite through what we do, what we create. That point is driven home throughout the book and cannot be stated enough. The Re-Awakening is about doing and accomplishing. Becoming a member of the OB does not bestow greatness on anyone. We strive and drive outselves to become elite. Then the gods determine whether one is called to the OB. Jack's book is about this call to greatness and is sorely needed in this time of dissolution.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:10 pm

I'm about halfway through this book now, and would be interested to hear other's opinions on some of the information it contains. It's raised a few questions for me, as well as shed some light on some

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:34 am

I found it very interesting. What questions has it raised for you RavenCall?

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:56 am

I think I might finish reading the book, see what clicks for me and what doesn't before posting any questions its raised. Have you read the book Tyrsman? What did you think?

Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:05 am

I did read it. I can't say that it really changed my outlook but it did solidify a few things for me, echoing some thoughts and feelings that I have that have not come up elsewhere. Overall, I would have to classify it'simpact on me as reaffirming and inspiring.

I do wonder about the purpose for revealing "the eye of Odin" as a symbol of the Brotherhood. It kinda defeats the purpose of a sigil of that nature to announce it publically. To me that indicates that it has fallen out of use, especially when introduced in the context of being in an abandoned building and then again in one about to be destroyed. But then again I frequently over-analyze things.

I also found the semi-abundance of Native American culture in the narrative interesting, as it has played an important role in my own personal experience and development. That may just be sure to Wolf's location and me being attuned to the topic however.

The one change that the book did trigger in my life is that I am now keeping better notes about my personal growth as an Odinist. I don't know what purpose it will serve but I felt the inspiration pull in that direction.

I look forward to discussing your thoughts once you have completed it and have had a chance to digest it.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:32 am

what was your take on the theory of god-tribes mentioned in the book? I'm interested in that speculation.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:32 am

That's one of the topics that echoed my own unvoiced thoughts. It is the strongest explanation I could come up with for never feeling any connection to the judeao-christian god. I tried, and I mean I REALLY tired to develop a relationship with the god of my wife but it just never developed. I just knew that I just wasn't meant to be one of his flock. When I finally have up trying and listened to where my heart was leading me I found myself being drawn home to the elder kin. It is what resonates within my soul, it calls to my DNA.

What are your thoughts on the subject little sister?

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:12 am

similar to yours. When I was a young child I tried to be a christian, because that is what my mother said was the only right thing to do. I was able to establish communication, but at the same time I also knew that I did not and would not belong to that god. Could not. I explored many other gods, and found none that particularly called me, until the norse gods called me. Then it wasn't so much like finding a new religion as it was like going home after being away for a long time.

Thing is, I never doubted that any of the other gods were real either. For me, there was always a feeling that I could reach these other gods- and often did- but still, they were not my gods.

Shortly before my father's death, I was lead to believe that he held a similar belief to god-tribes that I later found mentioned in the book.

I think it is an idea worth delving into.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:17 pm

I agree that this is a valuable book. I found it nicely complements the Mirabello book. Mirabello's work is the Odin Brotherhood written from the point of view of an outsider who has had the OB explained to him (or of someone who spied on them and stole the information), and Jack Wolf's is a more personal narrative account. Both authors have left me wondering if they are or are not OB though, but true to the OB's way, we are not supposed to know.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:22 pm

yes, I think I am going to read Mirabello's work after this one. It's certainly been a fascinating study.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:43 pm

I ended up reading the Mirabello work before I ever finished the Jack Wolf one. I like Mirabello's. It was much more direct and upfront, and it was still incredibly enlightening. It seems that his book focuses more on the aspect of what the Brotherhood believes, while Wolf's book (thus far) focuses a lot on how the Brotherhood functions and why they exist.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:37 am

A book about us, that sounds very interesting.

@Skoggkat: Members of the Odin Brotherhood may know the other members, only for the outside world it's a big secret.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Jack is a good guy. I have spent time with him and so I know that.
He listens really well and he keeps his promises which is a really good thing and a rare enough thing these days.
He respects the old ways and has been a pagan for a very long time.

He is a very interesting flavor of pagan I should add. The path he has been following for years is
quite primal. He doesn't claim to be a Odinist or an Odinist but he sure blends in well with us :)

However, someone who has never crossed over in the sojourn can only know so much,but I think he did a very
good job with the materials he had and the things he was told. He is not a professor like Dr. Mirabello so it stands to reason
that Jack would tell his story in a different way. Both are great books to read though.

Skoggkat: You I have heard of. You reputation is a good one.

Wed May 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Crow wrote:
Jack is a good guy. I have spent time with him and so I know that.
He listens really well and he keeps his promises which is a really good thing and a rare enough thing these days.
He respects the old ways and has been a pagan for a very long time.

He is a very interesting flavor of pagan I should add. The path he has been following for years is
quite primal. He doesn't claim to be a Odinist or an Odinist but he sure blends in well with us :)

However, someone who has never crossed over in the sojourn can only know so much,but I think he did a very
good job with the materials he had and the things he was told. He is not a professor like Dr. Mirabello so it stands to reason
that Jack would tell his story in a different way. Both are great books to read though.

Skoggkat: You I have heard of. You reputation is a good one.

Jack is a wonderful person! He is a wise intellectual and I have enjoyed the brief encounters I have had with him.

Thu May 08, 2014 4:15 am

I read the book and passed it on to a friend, an Anthropology professor. I am curious to see what he thinks.

Thu May 08, 2014 5:45 am

Reading Jack's book and Mark's book really sent me on the quest for more knowledge - to know more of the lore, the sagas, and to go beyond the Poetic and Prose Eddas. It's inspirational - not to sound totally corny. At some point, I too want to make that sojourn; there's just been too many visions that have said/directed otherwise.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:18 am
Site Admin

As always, we highly recommend the Jack Wolf book.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:30 am

I finished Mr Wolf's book about an hour ago and I am now having a difficult time finding sleep. So many questions racing through my head and so many thoughts affirmed too.

"We are few but we are everywhere" has me wondering about my small out of the way corner of the world....

Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next