View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Relation between our Gods and others 

Are there any books or artciles on the similarities and/or connectiosn that our Gods have with other pantheoms such As Celtic,Roman,Helenic?

Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:35 pm

Steve McNallen wrote about the Celtic pantheon as being essentially the same as our own awhile ago, but personally I am not comfortable with ignoring all their differences in order to justify a simplistic universal model of cosmology. You can find a lot on Wikipedia and a quick Google search or JSTOR search will help you find some more scholarly references on the topic. Let me know if you find anything interesting
rs

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:40 am

I believe Stephen has a very deep understanding or rather acceptance of the inability to understand, as it were, the nature and history of our Holy Powers. Naturally, different groups will have some variation, but I find he is essentially bang on to what I have come to believe over the years. The differences are not significant enough to discount the similarities. In fact, in many cases it is unclear whether the differences are actually differences. In other cases it is unclear whether the differences can be attributed to biased or antagonistic sources. Ant still yet, it makes little sense that we as a people changed so much in such a relatively short period of time that our basic religious belief structures have separated to such a fundamental degree (save christianity which was a forced religion, and modernly eastern religions which I believe our kin have mistakenly latched onto in lieu of their own heritage which has been so maimed). He leaves the door open for what many call "soft polytheism", which is popularly yet erroneously conflated with "eclectic" paths such as wicca (which I tend to think are more patchwork and fabricated than truly eclectic), however, I believe this is where the simplistic approach lies, and equally lies in any hard set definitions we impose on that of which we know so little. The type of hard polytheism approach many Odinists adhere to frequently borders on the Marveltru sort of thinking. I believe this is partly if not largely a result of the remnants of christian influence and set dogmatic principles. We all want to know who or what the god(s) are/is, but ultimately we are taking a shot in the dark. "Faith" outside of basic belief is a product of the abrahamic thinking that requires one to suspend disbelief in the same way as stage productions. It has no place in truly enlightened thinking. Stephen's latest book Asatru - A Native European Spirituality does a half decent job of explaining many of these things in a very basic sense, I would definitely recommend it. However, those who are not in a similar paradigm would understandably dismiss much of it as "soft polytheism". I also have some issues with concepts later discussed in the book, however, I am completely cognizant of and intrigued by the likelihood that I have not yet explored those areas. I have found that over a number of years McNallen has evolved substantially.

Stigandr Melrakki
The Wanderer, White Fox

Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:07 pm

I do not think that there are many, if any, alive today who have devoted as much time and energy to the gods as McNallen. This is the reason I referenced McNallen's work in my brief response. Without contending with Mr. McNallen, I did want to raise a question with Flavio's strategy for study. Looking for similarities in comparative studies tends to create more confusion than clarity. Our understanding of the gods grows from experience and study and I openly encourage it. If, after years of experience and study, one comes to see the European gods as essentially a single pantheon, it would be beneficial to understand the differences in practices, lore, and values in order to best incorporate them in one's own practices.

I might add, I own and fully endorse the book Asatru: A Native European Spirituality.
r

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:50 pm

RedSon wrote:
I do not think that there are many, if any, alive today who have devoted as much time and energy to the gods as McNallen. This is the reason I referenced McNallen's work in my brief response. Without contending with Mr. McNallen, I did want to raise a question with Flavio's strategy for study. Looking for similarities in comparative studies tends to create more confusion than clarity. Our understanding of the gods grows from experience and study and I openly encourage it. If, after years of experience and study, one comes to see the European gods as essentially a single pantheon, it would be beneficial to understand the differences in practices, lore, and values in order to best incorporate them in one's own practices.

I might add, I own and fully endorse the book Asatru: A Native European Spirituality.
r

Very much so, I agree with you fully RedSon.

Oh, and I fully endorse the book as well :) It did raise some questions I need to conduct more study to answer, but some of his sources are unknown to me, and a couple of them raised some concern. I have never previously given LHP sources any credit, though admittedly I haven't devoted much time to their study except in passing reference.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]