View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 

I've been reading this on and off over the past few months, and it's a brilliant book that was never even intended to be published. Marcus is generally considered to be the last great pagan emperor and the closest the world has seen to a "philosopher king". There are multiple crossover points between Odinism and Marcus' philosophy (very heavily influenced by Stoicism): acceptance of fate, honouring the gods, self-mastery, the performance of duties... I could go on more. Since reading, I've taken to writing my own meditations- both in prose and poetry- and it has been a great deal of help over the past month.

It's wisdom carries through the ages.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:36 pm

Meditations was the first book about stoicism I ever read. It came to me at a crucial time in my life and is what consider one of the most important building blocks of my life. Definitely a must read.

Locke, I would encourage you to also read anything by Epictetus. Aurelius was an emperor, Epictetus a slave. Their lifespans overlapped by a couple of years with Epictetus being the senior but together their writings are life changing. Also, if you wish to go deeper, Seneca's Letters from a Stoic will provide much insight to an earlier stage of stoicism.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:11 pm
Site Admin

Excellent points.

Pagans who possess wisdom master their lore, but they also gather fruit from other traditions.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:26 am

Tyrsman, I read Seneca's Letters from a Stoic when I was in my teens - it was the basis upon which I managed to get through some very tough experiences in my twenties and I still draw strength from this. The ancients have much to teach and the world now is soft and 'touchy feely' ... I often wonder what the Ancestors think of where the world is. I have not read Mediations but shall search out a copy. Thank you for the referral. Storm

Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:47 am

Tyrsman wrote:
Meditations was the first book about stoicism I ever read. It came to me at a crucial time in my life and is what consider one of the most important building blocks of my life. Definitely a must read.

Locke, I would encourage you to also read anything by Epictetus. Aurelius was an emperor, Epictetus a slave. Their lifespans overlapped by a couple of years with Epictetus being the senior but together their writings are life changing. Also, if you wish to go deeper, Seneca's Letters from a Stoic will provide much insight to an earlier stage of stoicism.

I already have Epictetus' discourses on the way, Tyrsman. Interestingly, his lectures were recorded by Arrian in the same manner that Plato/Xenophon did for Socrates. Arrian also wrote "The Campaigns of Akexander", which is one of my favourites. Marcus quotes Epictetus a significant amount, and shares Seneca's idea of secede in te ipsum. I will certainly look at buying Seneca's letter now.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:56 am

The work of the late Roman Emperor is quite brilliant I think. Indeed of one reads the work of Marcus Aurelius one can gain much insight into humanity. The works of other Stoic thinkers is also valuable to read. In fact I just read a very recent one, penned by university professor William B. Irvine, entitled 'A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy' (2009 Oxford University Press) that was, I think, a very enlightened work.

Those of us who are trying to cope in a world of semi-mindless cattlefolk can gain much from such texts.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:51 pm

I will have to read it.
I have also read of Epictetus' philosophy in THE ART OF LIVING. I recently passed it along to a friend. I always like to look in that book when I need insight.

Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:17 am

sweinodinsson wrote:
I will have to read it.
I have also read of Epictetus' philosophy in THE ART OF LIVING. I recently passed it along to a friend. I always like to look in that book when I need insight.

I've recently been in a situation that had me frantically scrambling for meditations... Then I remembered I lent it to my teacher a while back. So, I began reading Epictetus (after completely forgetting about it) which proved to be very fruitful. I love the idea of never losing something, merely returning it.

Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:34 pm

An understanding of stoicism can never hurt any person who seeks wisdom and some modicum of control over themselves.
I have found this old wisdom to be quite useful.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]