View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
The Last Kingdom 

I have been watching the BBC series The Last Kingdom, a historical fiction set in Saxon England during the coccupation of the Danes. I am finding it very well written, casting neither Pagan or Christian as superior to the other but rather highlighting their interactions in a seemingly accurate portrayal of the times. The costumes and set designs also appear historically accurate as well.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:39 am

Tyrsman, thank you. I shall watch out for it. Pagans are quite readily able to live openly in the UK so it does not surprise me that this would appear inbiased. Storm.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:25 am

Oh my gods!!!! I am completely addicted to those books!!!! I love them!!! But the tone in the books is fantastic, and has a strong tone of disapproval and dislike of Christianity, which I find very satisfying. Also, Cornwell does a great job with keeping historical authenticity, and usually provides a little snippet of historical facts at the end of his books. I haven't seen the BBC series, but really want to, but I strongly encourage you to read the books. I doubt if a show or film can top the books.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:27 pm

Agreed, I have also read the books and they are very good. Highly recommended. The BBC show has not quite made it to these shores yet. Stormr

Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:25 am

Are the books the Saxon Chronicles? I received the first three in the mail yesterday if they are... Some Yule time reading coming up!

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:51 pm

Gunr wrote:
Are the books the Saxon Chronicles? I received the first three in the mail yesterday if they are... Some Yule time reading coming up!

Yes. I first knew them as the Saxon sagas. I guess the series has seen a couple of name changes, but the individual books remain the same. I think there are 10 in all as of now, but the latest I have yet to read. I'm waiting for the paperback to be released in Germany, because I'm not paying 30+€ for the hardcover. Enjoy! Those books definitely never have a dull moment!

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:01 pm

Norse Storm wrote:
Agreed, I have also read the books and they are very good. Highly recommended. The BBC show has not quite made it to these shores yet. Stormr

You must be stateside? I don't know if the series is shown in Deutschland, but it's available on amazon, so we ordered the first season. I believe there is only one season currently available, but not sure. Once I've seen the show, I'll have to drop a quick review on here! Hopefully it's better than vikings. That show was utterly disappointing.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:04 pm

Fand wrote:
Norse Storm wrote:

You must be stateside? I don't know if the series is shown in Deutschland, but it's available on amazon, so we ordered the first season. I believe there is only one season currently available, but not sure. Once I've seen the show, I'll have to drop a quick review on here! Hopefully it's better than vikings. That show was utterly disappointing.

No, not stateside. Somewhere else altogether ... still hasn't arrived here ....

Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:14 am

Norse Storm wrote:
Fand wrote:
Norse Storm wrote:

No, not stateside. Somewhere else altogether ... still hasn't arrived here ....

Oh, OK. Well, I don't know if you can play UK imports or US imports (if it's available), but I'd suggest checking Amazon for your region and see if you can find it... That is if you are determined to get it ASAP. ;)

Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:29 pm

will definitely watch it

Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:36 pm

It's on Netflix....

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:40 am

We bought the first season. My husband has never read the books, but thinks the show is boring. For me, the show is alright, better than vikings, but it doesn't do the books justice, not by a long shot. Having read the books, I'm pretty disappointed with the show. Many of the characters aren't played by actors who fit the role, IMO, the story is missing so much, and a lot has been changed, the consequence being a lack of character development and weakened plot.
By all means, watch it, but do yourselves a favour and read the books.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:29 pm

Fand wrote:
We bought the first season. My husband has never read the books, but thinks the show is boring. For me, the show is alright, better than vikings, but it doesn't do the books justice, not by a long shot. Having read the books, I'm pretty disappointed with the show. Many of the characters aren't played by actors who fit the role, IMO, the story is missing so much, and a lot has been changed, the consequence being a lack of character development and weakened plot.
By all means, watch it, but do yourselves a favour and read the books.

Good post.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]