View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Edred Thorsson books 

Futhark - Excellent book. I have had it for 3 years and have read it straight through several times and continue to use it as a reference.

Runelore - Good book. I have read all of it and occasionally use it for reference.

Runecasters handbook- review pending

Icelandic magic- review pending

I have heard and read of many people not wanting to read his books due to his personal life. What does that have to do with his knowledge?

Believe half of what you read and less of what you hear....but with the first book, I highly reccomend it.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:47 pm

Greetings Swein
What other books of rune craft that are worthy of acknowlegement do you know?

Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Hello north,
I would say any book there is on the subject would be worthy of acknowledgement, whether I agree with the text or not. Other books that I have read are:
Runes for transformation by Kaedrich Olsen

The most useful book I have found outside of the first two Edred Thorsson books I listed is from the Stav tradition. It uses the Younger Futhark. If you can find it, it is called the Stav Runes Notebook. It is hard to find, but has good info in it.

Icelandic Magic, I have now read. The best review that I can give it is: "It was informative".

Of course, don't over look what is said about the runes in the Havamal vs 137-144.

Books are nice, but reading the runes themselves teaches a lot. The most valuable lesson that I have learned is to stop reading about something and just do it.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestions..Yup the source lore is key ;)
I for myself don't reckon it right or proper to go about unleashing divine powers unless it's because i'm knowledgeable and wise as to what it is i'm doing, but each to their own of course.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:45 am

north wrote:
I for myself don't reckon it right or proper to go about unleashing divine powers unless it's because i'm knowledgeable and wise as to what it is i'm doing, but each to their own of course.

I understand what you are saying. I read about the runes and learned their meanings for a few years before I actually picked them up and started really learning from their use.
It is kind of like working on a car. You could read the Hanes manual 10 times. You could read a book about internal combustion engines all you want, but can you call yourself a mechanic? No, because you actually have to go in there and diagnose that engine, dexterously take it apart and reseal it, then make sure it runs.

I am no mechanic, but I was taught when working on cars to take pictures of the things I am taking apart before doing so, so that I will know how to put it back together.
In the same light, I record in writing, every time I read the runes. When I make a bindrune, I analyze it and sometimes change it before activating it, if i activate it at all. It may end up being destroyed in the fire.

I will say that the time spent studying/ meditating on the runes and reading about them did help me hit the ground running when I actually started using them. I think approaching things like this with respect is the key. The most important thing is to use them. If you don't, no amount of reading will ever help you with their use.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:56 am

north wrote:

Try meditating on one rune at a time, maybe one per week.
I had started over the summer really reading up on them, thinking about them and then doing the meditations as I suggested. Before long, I was dreaming of runes I hadn't even gotten around to specifically learning about, and gaining a deeper insight. I don't use them much for anything else as of yet, unless some spontaneous inspiration compels me to.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:20 pm

Well put Swein.
Here is wisdome: The more one comes in to contact with the soul, the more they are instructed thereby with mysteries stored therein.
Books then are redundant. though as a scholar and guardian of arcane lores and treasures, I enjoy to preserve them for future generations and cross reference.

Fand, that is indeed a good practice to become acquainted with the runes. Wonderful, winsome and terrible; their uses are limited only by the mind of the spell singer. I too only work with them when I feel inspired, though just reading their names or beholding the staves is enough to do so!

Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:29 am

I believe the runes are a lost art, Stephen Flowers aka Edred Thorson has made money on the back of being a exploiter of the lack of knowledge in this area. His books should be placed i the Sci fi /fantasy part of a book shelf, next to Ralph Blum.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Hákon wrote:
I believe the runes are a lost art, Stephen Flowers aka Edred Thorson has made money on the back of being a exploiter of the lack of knowledge in this area. His books should be placed i the Sci fi /fantasy part of a book shelf, next to Ralph Blum.

Do you use the runes? If not, is it soley because you believe it is a "lost art" that can not be regained? If you do use them, How did you gain your knowledge of them? I'm just curious.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:01 pm

I don't use the runes except as an Alphabet, I think its a lost art, what people do with them today is not evidential as to the possible use our ancestors had of them. This does not mean that things they do are not by happenstance correct, but it is more by accident than design.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:11 am

Well, I won't argue with your opinion. There are things in his books I don't agree with. In his Futhark book, there is a lot of history and archealogical stuff in it. In his Icelandic Magic book, it is a reprint of a Magic book from Iceland that is a couple hundred years old. It is also mixed with christian things, like Urglaawe here in the US.
There are a lot of things in his book he probably just made up....I like to read what he has to say about the individual runes, but I prefer the STAV book about runes. Stav uses the younger Futhark and is supposed to have been passed down through the family for a thousand years or more.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:30 pm

Hákon wrote:

I'm usually suspicious of authors who write about the old ways, whether Celtic or Northern. I think a writers personal leanings and agendas have a major impact on the direction their written works take. Are there any authors or books about runes or lore that you recommend and believe are honourable?

Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:47 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
Well, I won't argue with your opinion. There are things in his books I don't agree with. In his Futhark book, there is a lot of history and archealogical stuff in it. In his Icelandic Magic book, it is a reprint of a Magic book from Iceland that is a couple hundred years old. It is also mixed with christian things, like Urglaawe here in the US.
There are a lot of things in his book he probably just made up....I like to read what he has to say about the individual runes, but I prefer the STAV book about runes. Stav uses the younger Futhark and is supposed to have been passed down through the family for a thousand years or more.

Agreed. As do I. Stormr

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:23 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:

I was under the impression that the "Christian" element in "Icelandic Magic" although used in Christianity was incorporated from an older spiritual Mithras spiritual practice. The evidence he cites is that the "Our father prayer" was found written on a wall in Pompeii...before Christanity came to the Empire. I will have to look again.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:01 pm

That seems familiar.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:08 pm

I thought I'd share my thoughts on the futhark book.
I've been going through it for some time now. The author's interpretations of the individual runes is interesting, to say the least. Probably the most thorough and plausible breakdown I've come across so far, but as to e authenticity, I couldn't say. After all, how much do we really know about the original meanings and uses of the elder futhark?
Thabeing said, the author gives exercises for developing a deeper understanding and connection to the runes, which to me sounds like a great method for preliminary study before delving into the deeper practices. He suggests meditating on each rune while using a card with the rune drawn on it as a focal point. Not a bad idea. Probably the best way to gain an understanding that comes anywhere near authentic is through such focused meditation in an attempt to tap into some universal wisdom.
His rituals seem a little more complex than they need to be, but I also feel that there is no wrong or right way, as such, to perform a ritual. One ought to be able to plan rituals in their own way, and I strongly feel that the most important element for success is that the practitioner must "feel" the meanings behind their actions. For example, in casting a circle of protection, it can be done as simplistically or as complex as the person desires, so long as one's visualization and concentration are strong enough. I've done warding and protective spheres often over the years, and it has always been enough just to visualize the is field taking form around me, though to each his own. I think ritual tools are just props that can help a person feel more in the zone, but I don't see the purpose beyond that. There may very well be a few items which serve their purpose where needed, but having a whole array of ritual tools just feels gaudy and unnecessary to me. But that's just my opinion.
I'm very practical and down to earth when it comes to spiritual practices, so I don't go in for excess.
Anyway, I don't mean to criticises edred thorssons methods. That may very well be the most effective methods for him, and may inspire others, but to me it is useful more as a loose guideline, something from which I can draw ideas when I'm not sure what to do. If I attempt to loosely follow any of his exercises or rituals, then I will most likely reconstruct everything to my own liking, such as the verbal aspects. His words for ritual had no meaning for me, and I wouldn't use them, but the basic structure sounds useful if kept simple.
Overall, though, I really think is book is just the work of an individual who has spent some amount of time experimenting and trying to devise a system that he finds effective, and that this book is a compilation of his own methods and preferences. Nothing wrong with that. I just wouldn't look to this work as the authority on the runes. As always, accept wisdom where you find it, and discard the rest.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]