View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Eirik the Red's Saga 

I usually like to read, but haven't been feeling like it, so I found some audio versions of the sagas on YouTube. Here is a link to Eirik the Red's Saga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnZOhoHh8W0

Something that I found interesting in this saga was how Xianity and our native religion existing side by side when the Vikings came to Vinland. I could relate to the one man (Was it Thorvald?) who went to the mountaintop to seek his gods and then finally they found him whispering incantations, etc. Then when they made their way back down to the coast, they found a whale and from then on they had food. Of course what I thought was funny was how when he told the others that Thor delivered it to them, they all started asking Jeebus for mercy. I wonder if that was added. I think the penman of the saga just didn't want to say, "When they finally got in touch with their true native gods instead of worshiping a foreigner, they were able to hunt and fish successfully."

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:06 pm

Skal! I love history, today the winds are strong and a faithful brother brings great gifts!

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:47 pm

History has the best stories. Too bad the world rarely learns from them. hah.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:35 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:

Not only does the world not learn from them, the world chooses to forget them! Much can be learnt and adapted into our modern lives from those who have gone before us. Stormr

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:09 am

sweinodinsson wrote:

It would be wonderful to see a really talented writer who is passionate about the lore and history write an adaptation of the lore and legends, and put it into words which can be more easily digested by modern society.
Can you imagine reading a full length novel or series that is completely based on the northern lore, with as much of the Christian corruption weeded out as possible. To have the heroes and gods brought to life on the page?
The closest I've come across which does justice to the spirit of the old ways is Tolkien's work, but the lord of the rings is only inspired by the mythology of northwestern Europe, rather than a retelling.

The books I'm writing are only inspired by Norse and, to a lesser degree, Celtic mythology. I've been contemplating this as a story of Ragnarok, but that is a very daunting topic for me to cover, so I feel reluctant to go in that direction.

IMO, one of the biggest reasons for the lack of interest people have in history is due to its very dry presentation that we experience in school. I've read a lot of fascinating books on the subject of Gaul, the Germanic tribes, etc, and the struggles against Rome, but the presentation is always the same: dry. It isn't easy to read books like that. I even struggle with the Edda in its antiquated form. If modern people are going to be exposed to history and lore, then it has to be made digestible for them.
I read a book called Druids by Morgan Llywellyn (sp?). It is a fiction, but based of historical events. I had read a lot about Vercingetorix (sp?) in the history books I had on barbarian Europe, and I have to give the author of druids credit for having done an excellent job of bringing the struggles of Gaul and vercingetorix to life. It is a very moving book based on the heroic attempt by this man to unite the free tribes in a last stand against Rome. Excellent read, for anyone who hasn't read it yet.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Using a little creative license while following very closely to the myths and legends of our ancestors to create compelling retellings. People crave this, even if they aren't consciously aware of what they crave. Look at the huge momentum of series like Vikings (which is pretty mediocre, IMO,) and the last kingdom books and series, as well as the game of thrones and others of the fantasy and historical fiction genres.
Maybe this is all as a result of this rootless modern age, and people are subconsciously longing for roots which have been rotted away by a throw away culture of self centered materialism.

Ha! I went off on a little rant there! Sorry!

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:23 am

Fand wrote:
sweinodinsson wrote:

It would be wonderful to see a really talented writer who is passionate about the lore and history write an adaptation of the lore and legends, and put it into words which can be more easily digested by modern society.
Can you imagine reading a full length novel or series that is completely based on the northern lore, with as much of the Christian corruption weeded out as possible. To have the heroes and gods brought to life on the page?
The closest I've come across which does justice to the spirit of the old ways is Tolkien's work, but the lord of the rings is only inspired by the mythology of northwestern Europe, rather than a retelling.

The books I'm writing are only inspired by Norse and, to a lesser degree, Celtic mythology. I've been contemplating this as a story of Ragnarok, but that is a very daunting topic for me to cover, so I feel reluctant to go in that direction.

IMO, one of the biggest reasons for the lack of interest people have in history is due to its very dry presentation that we experience in school. I've read a lot of fascinating books on the subject of Gaul, the Germanic tribes, etc, and the struggles against Rome, but the presentation is always the same: dry. It isn't easy to read books like that. I even struggle with the Edda in its antiquated form. If modern people are going to be exposed to history and lore, then it has to be made digestible for them.
I read a book called Druids by Morgan Llywellyn (sp?). It is a fiction, but based of historical events. I had read a lot about Vercingetorix (sp?) in the history books I had on barbarian Europe, and I have to give the author of druids credit for having done an excellent job of bringing the struggles of Gaul and vercingetorix to life. It is a very moving book based on the heroic attempt by this man to unite the free tribes in a last stand against Rome. Excellent read, for anyone who hasn't read it yet.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Using a little creative license while following very closely to the myths and legends of our ancestors to create compelling retellings. People crave this, even if they aren't consciously aware of what they crave. Look at the huge momentum of series like Vikings (which is pretty mediocre, IMO,) and the last kingdom books and series, as well as the game of thrones and others of the fantasy and historical fiction genres.
Maybe this is all as a result of this rootless modern age, and people are subconsciously longing for roots which have been rotted away by a throw away culture of self centered materialism.

Ha! I went off on a little rant there! Sorry!

Actually, I really liked your rant. My dad is a retired history teacher and public historian. He and I were talking the other day about the movie PEARL HARBOR (the one that came out several years ago). Every time he watches it he says, "Too much lovin' and not enough fightin'." Hah...so I told him that not everyone is like he and I. We enjoy sitting there and watching a "dry" documentary and find it fascinating. So I was telling him that everyone else needs that love story in it to capture their interest, because they are not historians, but love a good story.
You are right Fand, people do need to do this. That is why I think it is great that BJORN here on the forum has been doing some writing for children and hope he is keeping it up. You are also a talented writer. Maybe you could study a particular saga until you can picture it in your head and re-write it. I am sure many people here would support your effort. When someone does this, there will always be those who criticize it, like many people on this forum have criticized VIKINGS for not being 100% accurate. The truth is though, that there has to be some creative license given for the masses to follow it. The wonderful thing is that while some of us may sit on our high seat with our noses turned up...little by little, a sheep sheds his wool and digs deeper and becomes awakened through tv shows like VIKINGS.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:09 pm

What would be really cool is if someone were to write a story largely based off of one of the sagas and sprinkle Odin Brotherhood lore throughout and clearly state in the preface that it is a modern re-written version so that 500 years from now someone doesn't read it and think that it is some ancient text and take it as "gospel" for lack of better word.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:13 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
Actually, I really liked your rant. My dad is a retired history teacher and public historian. He and I were talking the other day about the movie PEARL HARBOR (the one that came out several years ago). Every time he watches it he says, "Too much lovin' and not enough fightin'." Hah...so I told him that not everyone is like he and I. We enjoy sitting there and watching a "dry" documentary and find it fascinating. So I was telling him that everyone else needs that love story in it to capture their interest, because they are not historians, but love a good story.
You are right Fand, people do need to do this. That is why I think it is great that BJORN here on the forum has been doing some writing for children and hope he is keeping it up. You are also a talented writer. Maybe you could study a particular saga until you can picture it in your head and re-write it. I am sure many people here would support your effort. When someone does this, there will always be those who criticize it, like many people on this forum have criticized VIKINGS for not being 100% accurate. The truth is though, that there has to be some creative license given for the masses to follow it. The wonderful thing is that while some of us may sit on our high seat with our noses turned up...little by little, a sheep sheds his wool and digs deeper and becomes awakened through tv shows like VIKINGS.

Thank you for the complement. I don't think I've seen Bjorn posting on here. I'll have to look him up. Children's stories is something I've been looking for so I can introduce my young daughter to the lore. Once I finish the current fantasy series I'm writing, my next project is going to be a story for young audiences. It will be a fantasy who will begin near Urquhart castle, which is special to me. The time that the story will take place was chosen for the simple fact that the fishing industry of the that time suits my purposes, and it just so happens that historical events which took place in and around this region at the same time involved the wars for Scottish freedom with Robert the Bruce. When I discovered that, I decided my story should revolved around the history somewhat, which will give me an opportunity to write a book or series accessible to school age children that will give them a glimpse of history.
For entertainment purposes, I really love when a book or film portrays historical or mythological stories with as much accuracies as possible. Ironically, for a woman, I actually don't enjoy when movies and books overdo it with love stories, especially when it's out of place. War stories have always held a certain appeal to me and I've never understood the obsession with packing them full of romance. If I'm watching a war movie, I want to see war. Isn't that dramatic enough? Lying in the trenches and seeing your comrade blown up right beside you. Horrifying. That's something my grandfather told me about when he was in WWII. I don't recalled if it was a grenade or what, but his friend's guts were all over him.
If it's a story that encompasses a much broader scope than just one battle, then there is certainly a lot more room for themes such as romance.
I hope you are right about shows like vikings inadvertently sparking a bit of genuine curiosity that leads people to dig deeper.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:58 pm

I apologize for the many typos. Trying to type on a phone is a pain, and it doesn't help when there's a toddler climbing all over me! Haha!

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Excellent share. Also, I enjoyed the banter in the responses. I heard someone once add to the saying "those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it" a light-hearted quip: "and those who do learn from history are forced to helplessly watch everyone else repeat it."

An exaggerated return to the topic might include another almost nonsensical quip: "Eirik was too busy making history to either learn from or ignore history." I think Eirik's take on history is fun to speculate about while I'm listening to the YouTube video.
Cheers,
r

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:32 am

RedSon wrote:
Excellent share. Also, I enjoyed the banter in the responses. I heard someone once add to the saying "those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it" a light-hearted quip: "and those who do learn from history are forced to helplessly watch everyone else repeat it."

An exaggerated return to the topic might include another almost nonsensical quip: "Eirik was too busy making history to either learn from or ignore history." I think Eirik's take on history is fun to speculate about while I'm listening to the YouTube video.
Cheers,
r

"Eirik was too busy making history to either learn from or ignore history."
I like it. Good to see you back around Redson.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]