View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
american gods 

american gods is a very good book by Neil Gaiman. it has not only viking gods that appear in the book but hindu, egyptian, and many others. very wel written and keeps you thinking. opens your mind up to other things.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:04 pm
Site Admin

I have never reaad the book. How exactly does it depict our gods?

Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:10 am

I would say that the Gods are depicted as we might see them: as real, with a sense of humor and purpose. This is a strange book, but an interesting read if you take it for the fiction it is an enjoy the ride. I wouldn't consider it in poor form, especially not as bad as Odin's fictional place in Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books. I can never get myself to read the story with Odin in it, and I know it is just fiction.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:27 am

American Gods is a fun read, but I think that it portrays Odin a little too harshly.

Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I have used google book to searc h the text. It seems intriguing, so maybe I will give it a look.

http://books.google.com/books?id=SrYgEZ ... 2#PPA67,M1

Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:51 pm
Site Admin

Finally read the book.

If you want a long story about legendary beings behaving weirdly (an Arab having oral sex with a jinn, Egyptian gods running a funeral parlor in the USA, and Odin --called Wednesday in the book-- committing statutory rape of an underage girl working in diners and carrying on conversations while evacuating himself at urinals), this book is for ....

No, I cannot recommend it to anyone....

The author, who is famous and successful, obviously sells a great many books and comic books, so he has skill, but he is not for me.

The main character, who is named "Shadow,' is a mixed race son of Odin, who still is madly in love with his dead wife, who died while performing oral sex in a car on his best friend, and ....well, you figure it out.

Like many modern works of fiction, the style is fluid, but not eloquent. Typical quotation (censored here): "“prayers are just so much f*****g spam.”

Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:28 am

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
Finally read the book.

If you want a long story about legendary beings behaving weirdly (an Arab having oral sex with a jinn, Egyptian gods running a funeral parlor in the USA, and Odin --called Wednesday in the book-- committing statutory rape of an underage girl working in diners and carrying on conversations while evacuating himself at urinals), this book is for ....

The author, who is famous and successful, obviously sells a great many books and comic books, so he has skill, but he is not for me.

The main character, who is named "Shadow,' is a mixed race son of Odin, who still is madly in love with his dead wife, who died while performing oral sex in a car on his best friend, and ....well, you figure it out.

Like many modern works of fiction, the style is fluid, but not eloquent. Typical quotation (censored here): "“prayers are just so much f*****g spam.”

Couldn't have said it better. It is the typical bizarre kind of representation of the Old Ones that seems so much a part of the current world. Gods and goddesses who are seem to reflect the worst aspects of the human race, and are shadows of the imbalance within the author. Not worth the effort.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:20 pm

Armanen wrote:
It is the typical bizarre kind of representation of the Old Ones that seems so much a part of the current world. Gods and goddesses who are seem to reflect the worst aspects of the human race, and are shadows of the imbalance within the author. Not worth the effort.

When the Christians first 'invaded' our ancestors lands, they demonised our gods and goddesses as part of their purging the land to 'purify' it for their christ. It would be unwise for us now to not think that these same christians are not aware of the re-awakening that is happening globally and that they are not trying, in their subtifuge way, to ridicule our gods so that those people who are unsure of whether they wish to step off the treadmill, should do so or not. We may think that the 'powers that be' in christianity are unaware of the unrest and re-awakening. We, fortunately, are not the only people occupying their time. They will see us as a threat as we are ancient where they are not. The other threat, although younger than they, are radicalists and pose an immediate threat. Ours is long term.

These are my thoughts. I hope they make sense. Storm

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:01 am

I definitely preferred Gaiman's "Scandinavian" portrayal of Odin to the "Old Wolf" United States version in the book.

I couldn't really get into "Low-key".

However, if you enjoyed American Gods, you might want to consider reading the trade series of "Lucifer" by Michael Carey. He delves extensively (and more accurately!) into the Norse Gods.

I enjoyed it so much more and the writing educated me and forced me to delve deeper. The only complaint was Idunn was portrayed as male for some unknown reason...?

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:00 am

I was recently given this book and think it is a work of art. Which is what literature is, no? I would not expect a man who is not an Odinist to write a book with our pantheon in it in a reverent way from our point of view. I also would not expect a novel to be on par with Odinist lore.
It's funny, because I showed the cover of the book to my Xian family whose facial reactions were, "Blasphemy, American Gods? There is only one god!"
Then I did a search on here to see if the book had been reviewed and there is basically a similar reaction, just from an Odinist point of view.
I had no preconception of the book. I had no idea what it was about. As I read it, things jumped out at me like the part (and I am not giving an exact quote) that said, "Today is definitely my day, so you can call me Mr. Wednesday, even though the weather is more like Thursday." I start chuckling to myself because I caught the reference. I do not think the book was intended to promote religion or denigrate any one religion. I think it was cleverly written about America being a melting pot and how people from cultures all over brought their "old gods" with them which are now being replaced by new gods like the internet, the stock market, and the government.

It was written by an Englishman while on a trip to America and he wrote it while he was in different places of the country seeing it as an outsider, which I think is cool, because that is basically what Shadow is in the book. An ex con with no place to call home. It was not written like a classical piece of literature, because it is a modern piece of literature and the author meant to capture that, as it was the whole theme of the book how the majority of people have put their traditions away and replaced it with modernity, for good or bad.
My review is not meant to say that anyones opinion is right or wrong. I was just looking at the book purely from a literary perspective.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:54 pm

Norse Storm wrote:
Armanen wrote:
It is the typical bizarre kind of representation of the Old Ones that seems so much a part of the current world. Gods and goddesses who are seem to reflect the worst aspects of the human race, and are shadows of the imbalance within the author. Not worth the effort.

When the Christians first 'invaded' our ancestors lands, they demonised our gods and goddesses as part of their purging the land to 'purify' it for their christ. It would be unwise for us now to not think that these same christians are not aware of the re-awakening that is happening globally and that they are not trying, in their subtifuge way, to ridicule our gods so that those people who are unsure of whether they wish to step off the treadmill, should do so or not. We may think that the 'powers that be' in christianity are unaware of the unrest and re-awakening. We, fortunately, are not the only people occupying their time. They will see us as a threat as we are ancient where they are not. The other threat, although younger than they, are radicalists and pose an immediate threat. Ours is long term.

Norse storm, I wouldn't put the blame on Christians so much for this kind of demonizing of the old gods. Christianity was only ever just a tool, and now that tool is outdated, the new model is ready and only needs to be distributed. This is something being done by the "elite", the shadow government who is working towards achieving their own nefarious goals.
Anyway, I'm familiar with Neil gaiman through his work with Terry Prattchett in the long earth series. Good work, actually, but perhaps that was Terry Pratchett's hand in that. Neil strikes me as the typical sci fi geek, who is likely agnostic at best or atheist at worst.
Point being, that while I agree with basically everything you said, I would change "Christians" to read globalists or tptb, the sheep that follow them being the neo Marxists.
Just look at the Vikings series! Are we to believe that the northmen were really so two faced and fickle? That they were just degenerates having orgies? That the men were typically happy to have threesomes with other men?
I recall reading that in fact, the vikings had a slur, a serious insult for men who liked to f*cm other men. Forget the word, but it was supposed to have been quite offensive. So while they may have been more open-minded about many things in comparison to the xtians, what is being depicted in these mainstream productions reeks of this modern age of hipsters, SJWs, feminists, lgbtq movement and all their debouched ways and deconstruction of all shreds of moral values. Brainwashing at its finest.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:24 pm

Fand wrote:
Norse Storm wrote:
Armanen wrote:

Norse storm, I wouldn't put the blame on Christians so much for this kind of demonizing of the old gods. Christianity was only ever just a tool, and now that tool is outdated, the new model is ready and only needs to be distributed. This is something being done by the "elite", the shadow government who is working towards achieving their own nefarious goals.
Placed into perspective, all things are relative. 1200 years ago it is what happened. Now there are forces as destructive. Perspective. Stormr

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:55 pm

Norse Storm wrote:

Placed into perspective, all things are relative. 1200 years ago it is what happened. Now there are forces as destructive. Perspective. Stormr

Right. Same thing, different name, different dogma.
As you probably know, Catholicism was formed to be the "universal" religion. Now the one world religion is globalism, universalism, science and/or anti-spirit.
I think what we are seeing in the western world now is just the start and it's going to get worse. Even Christians are starting to get a taste of what it's like to be mocked and ostracized.
I read an article written by a Jew who decided to address matters of ethnic prejudice against people of European descent and the way Christians are being discriminated against. Was interesting to see this unbiased perspective by someone who isn't effected by what is happening.
Christian professors discussed how when they seek employment in universities, they have to keep their religious views absolutely secret, even once employed. Unless they have tenure, they aren't safe. This holds especially true for particular subjects. They might stand a chance in math, for example, but not science or subjects that address social matters, etc.
One professor said as a black Christian, he has endued far more discrimination for his religion in universities than as a black man in daily life.
Same thing goes for people with different political views than the far left.
This agenda targets odinists almost as much because we are so often tribalistic, or nationalistic in our social/political views. We bring an opposing world view to the globalist, multicultural agenda.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:46 pm

I thought this was an interesting way to look at it.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/bo ... philosophy

One thing is for certain. The man wrote a very thought provoking book that makes many Xians cringe, Some Odinists cringe, psychologists ponder, and has likely written a book that will be studied by literature students in years to come. I would say that he succeeded in his endeavor.

I am looking forward to seeing what his true feelings are about the gods in his new book entitled NORSE MYTHOLOGY.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:22 am

sweinodinsson wrote:
I am looking forward to seeing what his true feelings are about the gods in his new book entitled NORSE MYTHOLOGY.

There is a lot of hype around this book. It will be interesting to see his perspective ... Stormr

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:41 am

Norse Storm wrote:
Armanen wrote:

I understand what are you saying. But knowing a bit about the author, I dont think that Neil Gaiman writed the story in a attempt to ridicule our gods.

Several times before he gave a hint that he is (or more probably was) at least a occultist. He writed about Lucifer before and the character was not a antagonist or a source of evil, on contrary. So I doubt that he had any sympathy for the christian point of view.

I think it just some part of his style to degenerate his characters (which includes gods) to reforce a layer of irony and humanity on his storys, that are usually "unrealistic" and relay too much on fantasy... I think he uses this in a attempt to "ground" the story. It dosent happen just with old gods. You may have a glimpse about how the "new gods" of this story like "Media" and the "IT guy" are clearly ridicule beings with stupid personalities. And Shadow is also very miserable as a human being, his deceased wife actually say on his face that she cheated him just because he was boring and have no will on his own.

You can see this clearly on Sandman too, a story which has a protagonist that is some kind of god and most people point him as a Gaiman self-insert... The thing is, despite the fact that the protagonist really act like asyou may expect from a "god" that was born at the beggining of the universe (really mysterious and wise) he is often humiliated by mortals or even subordinates, which is usually ironic.

About the book.... on my opinion it is not very good. Gaiman is very unique and powerfull with a script but not exactly as a writer it seems... Sandman is indeed a work of art and I recommend for everyone.... American Gods is just.. fun.. but just sometimes..

We actually have a American God TV series now... and it is actually entertaining if you have a open mind about how they show the gods and dont expect any deep and wise.. it is sometimes cheesy and a bit insane like a Tarantino movie (without being good as a Tarantino movie). Just mindless fun and a good casting. The story shows Odin as a intense and very inteligent man that is a incredible con artist mostly just for fun and giggles....Which is interesting at least because the Odin that I know is wise as he may seems but he is also certainly intense and have a sense humor.

It is not a show for everyone tastes of course, it is just mindless.

And when I say a "open mind" I say because I actually aware that fiction may display "myths" on a very unexpected point of view. For example, there is a Japanese RPG game where the end boss is Yahweh as a evil and tyrannical being that wanted to end the world. Japanese people usually are very good with their judgement...

Tue May 02, 2017 8:05 am

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
Finally read the book.

Amazing what gets published and sells, then recommended.

Maybe the OP is the author.

Fri May 05, 2017 4:53 am

Baleyg wrote:
OdinBrotherhood wrote:
Finally read the book.

Amazing what gets published and sells, then recommended.

Maybe the OP is the author.

Haha! Could be! ;)

I do like the quote, though! Growing up within Christianity, I think if I'd be that god, I'd go on a killing spree of all my followers! Haha!

Sat May 06, 2017 10:03 pm
Site Admin

The last two posts in this thread are confusing. Who is OP? Why is someone talking about a killing spree?

Sun May 07, 2017 12:31 am

What's so confusin? OP= original poster, the person who started this thread recommending the book.
I'm not literally talking about a killing spree. I said if I was the Christian god being spammed by all the countless trivial prayers by silly Christians I'd likely destroy my followers... You know, put an end to all the prayers.. They can't prayer they're dead? It was a joke.

Sun May 07, 2017 8:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next