View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:28 am



Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Seidr... 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:34 pm
Posts: 494
In my tradition I have done a lot of "shamanic journeying." (I know Coyote hates the term but for lack of a better one I will use that one to clarify what I mean.) Although the term I first learned for that is Dreamwalking and that is the one that I prefer.

Does anyone here have any experience in this they would like to share with me? Or can you tell me how Seidr compares with other "shamanic" work?

Thanks for your help...

~Stormdancer


Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:31 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 1254
Location: Canada
Greetings

In the Old Way, the practitioners of seið were primarily women as each woman in a small family was usually the Gythja for her home. Seið (If you flip your tongue off of your pallet towards your front teeth rather quickly and down you will get the 'flipped "D"' sound at the end of the word which is kind of like a 'd' and a 'Th' at the same time - like 'seethe') is loosely translated as 'witchcraft', and is usually categorized into three areas:

Seið: 'General' witchcraft as one might expect of a witch; the making of charms, spells, potions and the ability to interact with magical forces for the weal or woe of her family.

Spa: The ability to see Orlog. In other words these practitioners were /are seeresses and prophetesses. The words Spaekona, Spae-wive or Volva are from this area of seið practices.

Runemala/Rune-work: Practitioners in this area usually combine their knowledge to use the runes for enlightenment and to affect the world around them through charm and spell.


All of the above use GaldR ( the ability to chant and sing) to some extent, as this appears to be integral to all Nordic magical practices.

One of the biggest controversies nowadays in the Odinist/Pagan community is to whether males should be practicing seið. Historically, it is said that Spa and seið in general are women's mysteries; the realm of the Lady Freyja and to an extent Frigga and the other Goddesses, as well as the Disir and female Alfar.

It has been said that to practice seið is an unmanly affair, yet there are many men drawn to it. In fact, Har himself (get used to the many hypostases of Odin) practiced the seiðR Ways, having gleaned much of the art from Freyja and other potent sources.

The most common area that one sees men applying themselves to Northern magical arts is with the runes. There seems to be much less controversy over men using runes.


I hope that helps you a bit ;-)


Coyote


Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:26 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:34 pm
Posts: 494
Thanks, Coyote. Very helpful.


Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:43 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 1254
Location: Canada
No worries.

My pleasure


Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:13 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:34 pm
Posts: 494
Anyone else like to give their opinion? I'm curious to know if there are others of you that consider seidr to be women's magic only, and why...

Thanks.

~Stormdancer


Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:51 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:19 am
Posts: 57
Seidhr may have been considered to be a woman's craft because of defined roles in ancient times. Taking a simplistic view, the men hunted animals, warred on other tribes, and brought wealth home. So their magic might have involved runic inscription and song to insure well aimed arrows and blades, abundant wealth and a safe return. On the other hand the women were gathering herbs and keeping the household running. Their magic may have employed the trance state because it is more suited to prophecy and healing, which would be more what women did.

The otherworld was also seen as like a woman or a womb, hence volva is the name of the seer in the Voluspa, the spell of the volu (vulva). There also was some form of seidhr called ergi that involved inserting phallic objects inside oneself and many men are unwilling to do this. The practice of ergi is a type of sexual magic. If men were to practice ergi they would be called a homosexual. Later ergi just became an insult of shame from homosexuality. To practice seidhr, ergi is not necessary though. It can be done through inducing the trance state with dance, music, plants, mushrooms, drink or by one's own will. Seidhr and rune magic are not gender specific in my opinion. I feel that this was the case many thousands of years ago and that it was through misperceptions that it came to be so.


Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:09 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 1254
Location: Canada
Well said, Wodulf.

It is true that times have changed and to an extent traditions should be flexible with regard to that.







Coyote


Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:14 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:52 pm
Posts: 71
Location: canada
*


Last edited by north on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:01 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:52 pm
Posts: 71
Location: canada
*


Last edited by north on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:46 am
Posts: 1922
This my own opinion only, but I believe that the gender roles are distinct in pure times, and blurred in corrupt times.


Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:10 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:16 am
Posts: 537
odinbrotherhoodlives wrote:
This my own opinion only, but I believe that the gender roles are distinct in pure times, and blurred in corrupt times.


So true, I am sure I am not the only one who wonders daily, "Was that a man or a woman?"

Even worse, in today's society it I don't think that it is only a blurring that is occurring, but maybe even an all-out switch. It is worrying enough when it becomes socially acceptable for men to act like women and women act like men, but it becomes even more troublesome when women are ostracized for behaving like traditional females and men are ridiculed for being manly.

I have heard so many times, "That man is a brute/roughneck/neanderthal," when he is just behaving as a traditional male will, and not even in a way that would infringe upon the happiness of other people.

In my own experience, I cringe when I hear a female say to me, "Why do you wear skirts and dresses? I would never wear one, they look stupid." Or other women act as if I must be subservient to my significant other because I like to bake him brownies and cookies.

It has become so extreme that even holding on to some part of the traditional role (even when it is absolutely voluntary) will cause you to become the subject of mockery.


Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:12 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:52 pm
Posts: 71
Location: canada
Quote:
So true, I am sure I am not the only one who wonders daily, "Was that a man or a woman?"

Even worse, in today's society it I don't think that it is only a blurring that is occurring, but maybe even an all-out switch. It is worrying enough when it becomes socially acceptable for men to act like women and women act like men, but it becomes even more troublesome when women are ostracized for behaving like traditional females and men are ridiculed for being manly.

I have heard so many times, "That man is a brute/roughneck/neanderthal," when he is just behaving as a traditional male will, and not even in a way that would infringe upon the happiness of other people.

In my own experience, I cringe when I hear a female say to me, "Why do you wear skirts and dresses? I would never wear one, they look stupid." Or other women act as if I must be subservient to my significant other because I like to bake him brownies and cookies.

It has become so extreme that even holding on to some part of the traditional role (even when it is absolutely voluntary) will cause you to become the subject of mockery.



no doubt this is because your beleif . truth be it, seith has been around long before there was distinct gender roles in society. and in older times, the 'celtic' girls were trained as warriors from youth as with boys, aswell they had right to have weapons and go to war. gender roles as yours only came from later things as romans, christianity, saxaons, vikings etc .

the thing about todays society is it is a wrigaling mess of lies and misconceptions that has already had the ''blurring'' and everything has been ''all-out switched'' twist turn sideways fliped backwards and ****** from behind. so what is socially acceptable to you and most peoples, is what has been bred into your minds since birth and beyond. your knowledge of seith and who practices , is clouded , for that reason^ and more. the ancient aryans say otherthings about seith, than the vikings did. in fact according to ancient aryan scripts that were cleverly translated in code and therefore were not changed by the destorters of lore, seith is part of the path all who would become as gods must take.

that said, i would be more concerned of wisdom,truth and self betterment than that by mockery of fools.


Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:16 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:34 pm
Posts: 494
I would be interested to see your sources about what the Aryans have to say about seidr. I am always looking to learn more. Can you give some links or name some texts please? How were they decoded?

~Stormdancer


Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:17 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:52 pm
Posts: 71
Location: canada
*


Last edited by north on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:33 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:41 am
Posts: 2
I personally look towards Odin as a role-model for my own studies. If Odin learned the powers of Seidr, then it cannot (in my mind) be degrading to males. Though I personally find Galdr and other forms of runic magic more immediately useful, the knowledge to be gained from the practice of Seidr is indispensable in my opinion.


Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:54 am
Profile

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:41 am
Posts: 2
Skogkatt wrote:
odinbrotherhoodlives wrote:
This my own opinion only, but I believe that the gender roles are distinct in pure times, and blurred in corrupt times.


So true, I am sure I am not the only one who wonders daily, "Was that a man or a woman?"

Even worse, in today's society it I don't think that it is only a blurring that is occurring, but maybe even an all-out switch. It is worrying enough when it becomes socially acceptable for men to act like women and women act like men, but it becomes even more troublesome when women are ostracized for behaving like traditional females and men are ridiculed for being manly.

I have heard so many times, "That man is a brute/roughneck/neanderthal," when he is just behaving as a traditional male will, and not even in a way that would infringe upon the happiness of other people.

In my own experience, I cringe when I hear a female say to me, "Why do you wear skirts and dresses? I would never wear one, they look stupid." Or other women act as if I must be subservient to my significant other because I like to bake him brownies and cookies.

It has become so extreme that even holding on to some part of the traditional role (even when it is absolutely voluntary) will cause you to become the subject of mockery.


I agree with you completely. Being a real man these days is looked down upon. Most women that I into contact with opt for either the guy who looks manly but acts like a child, or the nice guy who could not possibly protect her. It seems many don't realize that there are many men who are both masculine AND caring at the same time.

When it comes to masculinity, this video reflects my beliefs on the masculine ideal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRUAbnFrrp4


Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:05 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:16 am
Posts: 537
north, I do not mean to suggest that women should live quietly. In fact, I believe all extraordinary people, regardless of gender, should be more concerned with knowledge and warriordom, whatever form it take for that particular individual. I was pointing out the mockery to exemplify the decadent times we live in, where people feel that they should live decadently with little regard for nature. I should add that I find the wife of an Abrahamic cowering in the kitchen and never speaking up because she feels her husband is above her and she would deserve a backhand equally as disgusting. I will not go through my whole reasoning because if you check out my post on the "Odinist Wives" thread my feelings on that are outlined quite wholly.

I kind of take pride in doing what the herd is not doing anyway.

Throstfridd, I cannot view your link due to insufficient computer power. Could you explain a little more for me? I am just curious.


Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:30 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:52 pm
Posts: 71
Location: canada
Quote:
north, I do not mean to suggest that women should live quietly. In fact, I believe all extraordinary people, regardless of gender, should be more concerned with knowledge and warriordom, whatever form it take for that particular individual. I was pointing out the mockery to exemplify the decadent times we live in, where people feel that they should live decadently with little regard for nature. I should add that I find the wife of an Abrahamic cowering in the kitchen and never speaking up because she feels her husband is above her and she would deserve a backhand equally as disgusting. I will not go through my whole reasoning because if you check out my post on the "Odinist Wives" thread my feelings on that are outlined quite wholly.

I kind of take pride in doing what the herd is not doing anyway.


Well met .


Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:54 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:52 pm
Posts: 71
Location: canada
Quote:
I would be interested to see your sources about what the Aryans have to say about seidr. I am always looking to learn more. Can you give some links or name some texts please? How were they decoded?

~Stormdancer


The texts are called the hathapradipiki and the rudrayamala, to start.
The hathapradipika and other sanskrit writings survived the book burnings of the west by a deliberate addition of false translations and commentaries to the original documents to satisfy the ruling british colonists. The original technical sanskrit used in describing the science of the body and mind is similar to modern concentrated scientific writings which almost all can read, though only few knowledgable individuals can understand. Most of the technical sanskrit includes a requirement that their content must be kept secret. This is easily done in a technical manuscript by adding a false meaning of the critical terms which can misdirect the uninformed or uninspired reader. However, if the censors had any scientific knowledge and the diligence to study the document, the original teachings could have been readily obtained by using this knowledge and accurately translating the sanskrit.

It should be noted that the sanskrit of the hathapradipika requires a basic understanding to ''decode'' the meaning since the are very few verb declensions or noun cases common in other types of sanskrit documents. Some words are joined together with an alteration of both the beginning and ending letters that allows the hiding of a meaning under a constructed word built apon words with different meanings. Fortunately, there is a very clever built in guarantee that a translation is correct when complete correspondence can be found between the translation and the literal words since there are no unessential or undefined words. Such is also so for modern technical scientific writings. The technical nature of the verses has also served to carry ancient knowledge to the modern world ,much as the early scientific writings of the west are understandable centuries later for those who are dedicated to searching..


Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:19 am
Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:08 pm
Posts: 4
hello.

I am grandson of Odin as many here.



My experience with seiðr has been such that by manipulating the yin to extreme height while at the same time, constraining the yang, then at a certain point, excel them together you use that energy to do seiðr as you like it.








power to Freyja


Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:51 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.