View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Seidr 

This is mainly for Stormdancer, but I welcome any ones's knowledge. I know Seidr is primarily practiced by women, I also know Odin himself learned it from Freyja, so any one who says anything bad about it might want to do some research. I know we have discussed about the Runes, but I'm also interested in Seidr, and trust me, I am neither "fluffy" or soft (referring to earlier posts). I believe that my short time in practicing trance work, I have a closer connection to the gods. It takes me to a different state that I have never experienced before, and I wish could stay there more. I feel like I'm just getting a small taste, and I know there is so much more. Are there different roles between men and women in Seidr, or is it the same for both? I respect your knowledge.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:15 pm

Men can also practice Seidr and Galdr, but Seidr especially, is mostly for woman. Of course i can't find any information on how to practice either of them though. Maybe someone else can give a better answer.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:24 pm

I posted this elsewhere and will repost here...

The question of whether seidr is *ergi* or unmanly is a big one. Jenny Blain goes into this in depth in her book "Nine Worlds of Seid-Magic," which has lots of quotes from the lore. It's a good book, heavy on the academic stuff but I think it started out as her master's thesis.

http://www.amazon.com/Nine-Worlds-Seid- ... 308&sr=8-1

Do *I* think seidr is unmanly? Depends on what you consider manly. ;)

I think historically seidr was considered to be women's work. Men were warriors, women were not. Men were more likely to consult the runes than women, from what I have read in the lore. Women were more likely to just consult the Elder Kin. So if Bjorn is a guy who practices seidr, naturally his neighbors are gonna look at him kind of funny, like they would if he started wearing a dress or washing clothes or any of those other women's chores. What's up with him? That work is unmanly. That's part A of my theory.

Part B comes from the fact that for certain kinds of seid-magic you have to be VERY receptive. You have to be open in a LOT of ways, to a lot of different things. Again from a historical perspective men were more active than women, and yeah, that probably has a sexual basis because historically men were the more active partners while women were receptive. So women were just more used to *receiving.*

There are a lot of levels to seidr. The seid-worker can be doing oracular work and *receiving* messages from the spirit-world. Some oracles take it farther and go off into the Otherworlds looking for messages or spirits. At that point you are crossing over into trance work, where you have to be receptive to the trance states...you have to be able to go under. In hypnosis that is usually referred to as being *suggestible* but I dislike that term. Seems like some people can just give in and go under easier and some fight it. Again, in history men were far more likely to want to be in control of a situation where women had learned to roll with whatever happened.

The part where it begins to get REALLY sticky, ergi-wise, is when you cross the line into allowing a spirit or Elder Kin to use your physical body. The new agers call that channeling or being a medium...most of the Northern trad lit I have read refer to it as being a *horse*...being ridden by a god. There are lots out there who will swear that horsing a god is new age and never part of Northern trad....but it IS very well known in many primitive cultures. My own opinion is if the seid-workers of the past went as far as deep trance work, I have no reason to doubt they were horsing gods as well. Think about how receptive you have to be to do THAT...to let an Elder Kin so deeply into you that they can use your body, talk through you, have sex with whoever they like....and now you begin to see why the ancients would think a man who did so was *ergi.*

Add to that the fact that in a lot of primitive cultures a *shaman* or spirit-worker is often celibate or of ambiguous sexual orientation. It is not to much of a stretch to think that some seid-workers might have been so as well, especially if they were men.

That's my long answer as to why seidr was considered ergi in the past. Do I think modern-day practictioners are unmanly? No, not just because they practice it. But if you intend to delve deeply into seid-practices a guy is eventually going to have to deal with some of those things mentioned above and better know where to draw the line if some of that will bother them.

~Stormdancer

Sun May 01, 2011 6:36 am

Warhammer wrote:
Men can also practice Seidr and Galdr, but Seidr especially, is mostly for woman. Of course i can't find any information on how to practice either of them though. Maybe someone else can give a better answer.

You're probably not going to find many books that will teach you how to practice seidr, although Jenny Blain's book does talk about that a bit. Seidr is one of those things you pretty much need to learn by doing. And the best teachers are always the Elder Kin themselves.

~Stormdancer

Sun May 01, 2011 6:40 am

What sort of magic did the berserkers practice?

Mon May 09, 2011 2:28 am

What is the difference between Seidr and Galdr?

Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:09 pm

DefenderofMountains wrote:
What is the difference between Seidr and Galdr?

Galdr (which is basically the verbal aspect of rune magic) while Seidr is a more "trance-work" in nature.

Here is a decent overview: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/seidhr.shtml

Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Seidr was mainly a thing for woman, but what about predicting the future?

Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:10 pm

The only advice shifty-eye may give on this subject at present is you may be called dishonorable.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:09 am

Hail,

I appreciate the link giving the definitions of the types of magick. I use all of them from the definitions. One of my ancestral last names has the word Seidr in it, which explains my families disposition to have magick abilities. Seidr is travelling. I have been a horse as well as have had females I had sex with be horses without their knowledge, as Goddesses embodied them. (So I could offer myself to the Goddess) As for masculanity/non masculine. These are simply definitions of what is and what is not. If you can tune into the worlds of magick, transcend to different planes, travel the world tree, effect the future in your life as I do, you will see that distinguishing one magick as good and the other as bad is pointless. The purpose of all these types of magick is to produce results.

I have used magick my whole life. This Vs That I believe is a hangup that will keep you from walking the magick path. Walk it if you want to pursue it. I don't give a **** what any other Odinist might say to me in regards to using "female magick" as in all honesty, their words are meaningless to me. I know my power. I know my position with the Gods. Practice everything if you want to pursue magick.

Bucky

Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:36 pm

There are many paths, so things might be more clear for you I can lay the laws of what I consider important for a Seidr(man)

I will not tell you what is definite, but perhaps through the fog of my words might you yield the secrets to your own divination and hear the words of your own madness.

The important thing to note is that magic (supposedly and also especially in nordic/germanic traditions) should only be practiced by women. There is something of an "evil" about men practicing magic. Perhaps the same negative stigma given to women who choose to be warriors. I do not think this is a disillusion we both share. This is a fear that has almost wholly destroyed all easily accessible knowledge on such subject, of breaking gender barriers to be a phantom which resides in the shadows. I have always compared magic to strategy.

Hair has been important to me as a Seidr. Start here and I may leash you the rest in threads - if you see fit to follow. To cut ones hair represents rebirth and a certain unmistakeable cleansing from magic. Old men are "naturally" resistant to weaving ways by example. By growing ones hair in defiance and faith, we harness unknown magics to assist with divination. To adopt the subtly formally given to women, we may become more fierce as male warriors. I think the misunderstanding comes from people thinking they can be only one thing. That if they possibly consider strategy, they may never be considered a warrior. This is not the way of the wanderer, the most high Seidr.

Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:52 am

I have found my "comfort level" with skirting death. Somehow are divinations produced with advancing of age, tightening of the chest. We come closer to the truth every day. Good luck, noble one.

Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]