View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Magical Armor 

The last time I discussed this with others was about ten years ago. I haven't thought of it again since that time, but for some reason, I've started thinking about it again...

I was probably around age 15 when it happened. My family of origin was not a particularly safe or nurturing environment, particularly during my junior high and high school years. My father is an alcoholic and a bully. He always has been and those traits were exacerbated by the challenges of facing middle age. His verbal and emotional abuse escalated, and he became physically abusive as well. It is a little strange when I think about it, but he never laid a finger on me. I was no stranger to the verbal and emotional bludgeons, but the physical abuse was usually directed toward my mother and, occasionally, my brother. One particularly brutal evening, my mother and I were in the kitchen making dinner while my father was on a drunken rant. I was positioned between them when he lunged for my mother. I heard a loud metallic ringing and reached down as if to pull a sword from its scabbard. I could feel the weight of the weapon in my hand as I blocked his advance. I felt the weight of armor on my body and the coolness of it against my skin. I calmly told him to leave or I would kill him. He stopped short and stared at me. The color drained from his face as he backed out of the room to the door and left without a single word. The feeling of wearing armor left me and all seemed normal again. I have often wondered what he saw that night. The fact that I stood up to him wasn't enough to frighten him away. I stood up to him all of the time and we fought constantly. And what possessed me to reach down to my side and draw a sword? The movement felt like second nature, but I have never carried a weapon of any kind in that fashion. I believe that I manifested armor and weapons that night, but the how and why of it escape me.
I left Christianity ten years ago and began exploring paganism. Through an online community, I came to know a few Wiccans, several Celtic pagans. I shared my story with them and was told that I must have natural magical abilities of which I was unaware. I thought that perhaps this was true since I had discovered that I could heal others by touch while a Christian. (A gift which obviously didn't come from "God" since I can still do it now.) I have since rejected this assessment. I have manifested the armor a couple of times since that first occurrence, but only under similar circumstances. I have never manifested anything else.
Is it possible that this was instead related to my hamingja? My ancestry is very clearly martial with my ancestors taking part in battle during every century all the way back to the Viking era - and in some cases (purportedly) all the way back to the Roman Republic.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:42 am

This is very interesting. I have a couple of thoughts but need a little more information. When you say that this has happened on other occasions under similar circumstances, does that mean that you were protecting another in those instances as well? Also, you say that spoke calmly to your father, was that the overall feeling that you had during the event and was it the same on the other occasions as well? Has this happened since you left theChristian path? If I may also ask your ancestry?

Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:41 pm

Tyrsman wrote:
This is very interesting. I have a couple of thoughts but need a little more information. When you say that this has happened on other occasions under similar circumstances, does that mean that you were protecting another in those instances as well? Also, you say that spoke calmly to your father, was that the overall feeling that you had during the event and was it the same on the other occasions as well? Has this happened since you left theChristian path? If I may also ask your ancestry?

Yes. Every time this has happened, I was protecting another person.

Yes. I always felt calm and in complete control.

It has not happened since I left Christianity, but I have not been in a situation that required that level of a response since then either. All of the times that it happened occurred during my teens and early twenties. I have matured a great deal since then and have acquired more inner strength and confidence. I'm guessing that those characteristics show so I am rarely challenged.

My father is Silesian/Bohemian and German. My mother was half-German (purportedly traceable to a Visigoth princess who married a Roman senator's son) but didn't know what the other half was. I started tracing her heritage last year and discovered that on her mother's side, every single ancestor was traceable to England then Normandy then Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. (It was kind of odd when that came about. Someone commented that my Slavic heritage must have something to do with my facial features and coloring. Another person overheard and snorted. He said, "I think she looks Scandinavian." I laughed and said I wasn't Scandinavian at all. That night, I found my first Scandinavian ancestor...)

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:11 pm

HonoringEir wrote:
I believe that I manifested armor and weapons that night, but the how and why of it escape me.

It certainly sounds as if that is what happened. I can honestly say that I have never heard of anything similar and certainly have never had an experience of that sort. My thoughts on the topic are strictly from a Norse perspective so keep in mind that it may very well be something else entirely, including the possibility of a literal guardian angel (the Christian variety).

About the only hypothesis I could offer is that one of your ancestors has stepped in to assist you in times of conflict. That in all the instances of this happening it sounds as if you had already committed yourself to stepping into conflict in order to help another seems to me to be of significance. If each of the times that this has happened occurred when the person you were assisting was being attacked without provocation and/or was obviously outmatched it would lend more credence to my theory. Another thing that I am curious about is the person(s) you were protecting, did they happen to be blood relatives? I would think that an ancestral spirit might be more inclined to provide this kind of support if it was one of their descendants coming to the aid of another.

HonoringEir wrote:
Is it possible that this was instead related to my hamingja?

Possibly but I would think that it was more likely directly linked to your Fylgja. Although Fylgjur most often manifest as an animal I do not see any reason one could not present itself in the manner you describe. If it surrounded you with a protective "aura" it would make sense that you would feel it as you did. It would be interesting to hear what the aggressors involved in each of the situation saw or felt.

I would also imagine that there is probably a link with your ability to heal others. I would be very interested in hearing more details about that if you are willing to share them. I was curious as to why you selected the screen name you did, in light of your gift of healing it makes even more sense than the medical professional I was expecting.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:36 am

I'm a medical professional too - 20 years in emergency care, trauma, and critical care.

And, as you guessed, each time it happened I was protecting an immediate family member.

I had considered the possibility of the Fylgja, but discounted it because I expected an animal in that role. I felt sure that it was some part of the self because I felt absolutely certain at the time - and still do - that this was something that came from me. (Not in the sense that I created it, but rather that it was a natural function - if that makes any sense. That's part of the reason that it never rang true for me that it was "magic." There was no clear intention on my part on any of the occasions. I didn't think about it. I just stepped up and it happened.)

Healing is completely different. It IS magical in the sense that it is infused with intention. The first time it happened, I was in church during worship. It was a charismatic church with contemporary music and a relaxed attitude regarding the way services were conducted or who could speak. I was swaying back and forth to the music, not really thinking about anything at all. I have since learned that I was in a meditative state. Because of my profession, I was often asked for medical advice or to pray about medical issues, so it wasn't unusual that my pastor's wife asked me "lay hands on" my pastor. He had a MRI that week and learned that several lumbar discs had completely degenerated and that he would need surgery to fuse the vertebrae in order to prevent damage to his spinal cord or nerves. He and I prayed together and I placed my palms flat against his lower back. Before I was close enough to actually make contact with his back, I noticed that my hands were very, very warm. That sensation intensified the entire time my hands were on his back and continued until it was done - not describable in any way other than to simply say you just know you're done. I felt like hammered crap for a full day afterward - kind of how you feel when you've been sweating in hot weather for a long while without drinking enough fluids. Two weeks later, my pastor saw the surgeon who was to perform the surgery and another MRI was performed for comparison with the previous MRI. The new MRI showed some arthritis in his back, but no disc degeneration, no nerve entrapment, and no need for surgery. I was kind of spooked by the whole thing. I haven't (as far as I know) done anything else on that scale. I did lots of work after that with pain relief - arthritis, headaches, that sort of thing, but I didn't really buy into it. I always felt skeptical about it, like maybe the MRI wasn't done properly, etc. I assure you that I feel it when it is happening. It's not like I prayed over it and it happened but it wasn't any different than when I prayed over dinner before eating. There is a pleasant building of warmth and a the feeling of pushing the warmth into the person. I did it with my mom with her cancer and her tumors started disappearing, but she was on chemo and radiation too... But, when I decided that I it was Christian nonsense without any foundation in science, I stopped. (My mother didn't know I was doing it.) Within 6 months, her cancer returned and she died. Sigh.
So, that's how the healing thing started out. I think the first time was about 15 years ago. Afterward, I kind of started playing around with it: meditating, feeling the warmth in my hands, etc. I learned that the force I manipulate is some sort of energy. I can gather it up, form it into a ball, push it into my body, pull it out, etc. (Looking at all of this in writing is so strange... I assure you, I am as sane as the next person!) The more you manipulate the energy, the more dense it becomes. You can continue to move it and manipulate it until it is quite powerful. You can also, through intense concentration and clear statement of intention, send this energy to someone far away. When I was sending energy to my mother, it traveled over 450 miles. I have also sent energy healing to someone over 900 miles away. I have also learned how to do it without exhausting myself.
So, that's the healing thing. I would be happy to answer any questions or clarify anything for you. Just let me know. I'm typing all of this now under the influence of exhaustion, so I fear it doesn't make much sense. :)

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:37 am

You are one of the first people who actually seems to possess and understand what I try to explain to people often. I'm curious to learn more and find out if there is any variance between our experiences and accounts of such things.

I have tried to understand and explain it in many ways. I thought perhaps that it was a guardian type spirit early in life, yet it seemed directly related to myself. The thought occurred because it seemed to exist and emerge in times of gut reaction, where I was not conscious of it. It has emerged many times when I was about it die and saved my life.

The most notable was when I wrecked a car around age sixteen. Everything seemed like it was in slow motion. I had a passenger. Neither of us had belts on. I held her in place and felt this energy gather around me. The car flipped a few times and bounced off some trees and rocks. One tire flew a few hundred feet into the woods. When the car finally stopped moving, I relaxed and we both fell out of our seats. Our heads smacked on the roof. It was almost comical rather than serious in the situation.

Nothing in my immediate area was harmed. The windows clearly shattered and metal bent with a clear outline of our area unharmed or broken. I have felt this force various times in my life. Yet, there was no denying that time, since it left a clear physical mark and evidence.

I have also been able to connect with and heal people. I notice it also with warmth in my hands. I can focus that energy and feel a connection with things around me. If I hold them near a person, in the state, I can start to feel them and inside of them. I can focus on certain areas and feel what is out of place or needs fixed. In the same way, I often feel sick afterward for a while. Sometimes, I have permanently suffered illness from some things, yet I have also seen verified results of missing symptoms afterward.

Do you also see visions or have odd dreams? I got to a point in my life where I had to keep all windows covered. I do not know what exactly it is about them, but I would always see visions in them. It started getting overwhelming and frightening when I was younger. I have gained much more control over these things. I have met very few people who can actually see visions legitimately. While the average person might laugh or see it as novel story, I can see the future very often. I use it to make money. I have made a substantial amount of money.

It is not that I see specific things or lottery numbers so to say. I can simply see the future of a person, event, object, or trend. No different than a prediction or gut feeling, yet I connect to it and can see it happening. I have glimpses of what will come to be and am looking at it from a future perspective of the thing. I would be ecstatic to find that we also share this in common to speak about.

Try to get some baoding *****. They will help you focus energy. I found that the principles of Tai Chi have taught me a lot about these abilities.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:49 am

HonoringEir wrote:
I'm a medical professional too - 20 years in emergency care, trauma, and critical care.
Excellent, I would have been surprised if an individual with a gift for helping others did not also have the personality that went along with it.

HonoringEir wrote:
And, as you guessed, each time it happened I was protecting an immediate family member.

I had considered the possibility of the Fylgja, but discounted it because I expected an animal in that role. I felt sure that it was some part of the self because I felt absolutely certain at the time - and still do - that this was something that came from me. (Not in the sense that I created it, but rather that it was a natural function - if that makes any sense. That's part of the reason that it never rang true for me that it was "magic." There was no clear intention on my part on any of the occasions. I didn't think about it. I just stepped up and it happened.)
That certainly makes sense and it could possibly be that it is something in the combined genetic code that is present with you and your family member that makes this possible...something along the lines of genetic memory as espoused by Jung.

Just a thought - you might also consider investigating the Algiz rune, it has been strongly associated with protection and Valkyries...

Although I have absolutely no experience with magic it is my understanding that there must be intent and some sort of preparation, whether it be a ritual or something as simple as visualization, so I would agree with you on that point.

HonoringEir wrote:
So, that's the healing thing. I would be happy to answer any questions or clarify anything for you. Just let me know. I'm typing all of this now under the influence of exhaustion, so I fear it doesn't make much sense. :)
Sometimes I find that it is easier for me to find the truth of the matter when I am exhausted. Like physical pain, fatigue sometimes has a way of silencing all the extraneous thoughts that can distract from the issue.

As far as your gift of healing goes, I am at a complete loss. That is so far out of my range of experience that I do not know where to begin. I naturally want to give credit to Eir but honestly I do not know. I am going to have to do some research on this before offering up any ideas. That it is something that you have control over and have been able to develop is something to go on.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:03 am

liolixli wrote:
You are one of the first people who actually seems to possess and understand what I try to explain to people often. I'm curious to learn more and find out if there is any variance between our experiences and accounts of such things.

I have tried to understand and explain it in many ways. I thought perhaps that it was a guardian type spirit early in life, yet it seemed directly related to myself. The thought occurred because it seemed to exist and emerge in times of gut reaction, where I was not conscious of it. It has emerged many times when I was about it die and saved my life.

I have also been able to connect with and heal people. I notice it also with warmth in my hands. I can focus that energy and feel a connection with things around me. If I hold them near a person, in the state, I can start to feel them and inside of them. I can focus on certain areas and feel what is out of place or needs fixed. In the same way, I often feel sick afterward for a while. Sometimes, I have permanently suffered illness from some things, yet I have also seen verified results of missing symptoms afterward.

Do you also see visions or have odd dreams? I got to a point in my life where I had to keep all windows covered. I do not know what exactly it is about them, but I would always see visions in them. It started getting overwhelming and frightening when I was younger. I have gained much more control over these things. I have met very few people who can actually see visions legitimately. While the average person might laugh or see it as novel story, I can see the future very often. I use it to make money. I have made a substantial amount of money.

It is not that I see specific things or lottery numbers so to say. I can simply see the future of a person, event, object, or trend. No different than a prediction or gut feeling, yet I connect to it and can see it happening. I have glimpses of what will come to be and am looking at it from a future perspective of the thing. I would be ecstatic to find that we also share this in common to speak about.

Try to get some baoding *****. They will help you focus energy. I found that the principles of Tai Chi have taught me a lot about these abilities.

I read your post last night and really, really, really wanted to respond, but I absolutely had to get some sleep. (I keep a really weird schedule, so when my body says "SLEEP" it isn't playing around.) I'm pretty stoked to hear from someone with similar experiences. You're the first one I've met who's had something similar to the armor thing.
With the healing, I can usually feel at least a generally idea of what's wrong with them. For example, with a back injury, I can usually tell if the problem is in the muscles or if it has affected the vertebrae. With abdominal pain, I can triangulate which part of the abdomen is the issue. I'm not like a MRI where I can go, "Aha, yes. You have diverticulitis in the cecum." Instead, I can say that it's a problem in this area and it's probably your bowel because it doesn't feel like an ovary, or whatever. It's also not a perfect thing. My husband's back is really jacked up. I can usually help him with pain and muscle spasm, but I haven't been able to get rid of his arthritis. I think that if it were a perfect thing, people like us would be recruited to heal rich people for a ton of money... Somebody would profit from it anyway...

As for seeing the future, I get glimpses from time to time. It is usually one of those things where I would think of it and I would go, "Hmm, yeah, I suppose that could happen" and as soon as the thought is complete, it happens. I don't think it's the same as the way you experience it though.
I just had a thought that kind of made me chuckle. I usually get a tingling feeling on the back of my neck when it's going to be a really bad night at work. I used to mention it "I feel a code coming on..." but it was freaking people out, so I quit. I think they were beginning to think I was summoning the stuff.
I've seen people or animals in the window, in the mirror, etc that other people could not see. I don't like it, and I'm not curious about it. Usually, if I ignore it or tell it to go away, it stops. I haven't had any "visitors" in a long while.

I am a really straight-forward, common-sense sort of person. I have worked on developing the healing because it's useful. I haven't tried to develop any other latent abilities I've come across. It's awesome that you've profited from your abilities (which are way more powerful than mine.)

Also, you mentioned being exhausted after healing. I no longer have that problem. You may already be doing this, but I've found that the exhaustion comes from the energy buildup brought on by the healing session. When I am done, I put my palms flat on the ground and direct the energy into the earth. It works when you are indoors too, but I've found that bare earth is best. :)

Also, in case anyone who is reading this thread was wondering: I don't routinely use the healing at work. People would probably think it was really creepy if I put my hot hands on their bodies and held them there. Sometimes, when I sense it might be helpful - for example when someone is in a whole lot of pain and nothing else is helping, I ask them if they would like me to pray for them. ;)

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:02 am

I am sorry to have not had time sooner to reply. I have been rather busy lately. I will respond in order, while reading through what you said:

I have put aside most of my trying to use any abilities for a while. I have been out of balance myself, so they would be very unproductive. That is part of the trouble with such things. I am able to connect with people at a fairly deep level. As you say, “it is not like an MRI.” For me, it is something more extreme when I am only to make a total connection to someone.

To a large extent, I can completely feel what they feel or almost briefly overlap with them. I can sense the energy moving through and around them and find specific disturbance in it. Although, I do not remember all the medical terms, I can often tell the exact source of issues. Unlike your choice of the medical field proper, I am a proponent of natural medicine.

I try to advise people on the appropriate solution to fix their problems, which are usually systemic to a certain cause. A good example is the gallbladder. Many people in the modern world have issues with it. In nearly every case that I have found, the person has common factors. They are not mobile enough to aid digestion or help jostle things in the natural bouncing of motion. Most of them have a chronic case of dehydration. They also have a poor diet with too many bad fats.

The bad fats turn into cholesterol, which clogs things up worse into stones. This is only an issue because they are collecting, yet the person needs to stop... just like you do not keep putting items into a clogged drain. Motion is needed to break things up, just like ultrasound can break kidney stones. The water, as simple as it may be, is the real key.

First, nothing can properly bind and be removed from the body without fluids. Even mucus will collect and harden, which causes other sinus and digestive issues. Second, the body will begin to shut down without the proper hydration. It starts down the chain of organs that are least essential. Doctors never put things together. The gallbladder isn't defective, it is simply shut down because the body is conserving itself. I have seen people go from 15% function to 60% function by simply using common sense over the hospital, who wants to simply remove the organ.

I had considered being a doctor once, but no practice is going to accept this type of thinking. So, I simply help people who I meet by chance. I just have a sense of seeing what is wrong and understanding why it is not working correctly. I have gotten to the point of putting practical to the theoretical of feeling things out.

The window thing also has not happened to me for a while either. I'm not sure what exactly to make of it. I always had a hard time ignoring such things. For a long while, as I said, I blocked out windows. Yet, I always felt there was significance. I wanted to understand more than I wanted to ignore what was happening. My mind has always been driven toward answers. I cannot stand mysteries. Some people are scared of the unknown or dark. I cannot help charge ahead to figure out the answer. I usually do not like to be left guessing.

I profited for a time. In one year, I saw 5000% gains on some stocks. I have never been an achievement oriented person. I like work and challenge. I get bored once I win or have too much, so I tend to make things harder. You will likely never hear about how I am so wealthy or powerful that I am now bored. I would just give it away and start over. The only place that I am truly happy is alone on a mountain trail or in the ocean. I have little interest for the pleasures of society, yet I have objectives to complete.

I used to get tired, I guess that I did not clarify this. I had meant when I was a young teenager. I would get fairly sick and tired, since I tried to hold all that energy. I always had an idealistic view of the world and some sense of self-sacrifice. That has changed with age. I do not feel as much that I should worry about offsetting other balance.

That is why I said that I try to avoid using any manipulation. I learned that you can redirect energy however you determine. That is where you get into trouble. You can remove positive life energy from people. You can also afflict pain or suffering upon people. It does not have to be transferred or grounded. I have struggled a long time with this, as I view such practice as generally unfavorable. Yet, this side of you awakens in it. You start to see the world more cynically and start having much less empathy toward things.

I try to find balance here and in Norse study where I can be more assertive and positive without reverting to such things. Most people read and find personal issues of heroics or honor. I do study these things, but it is really the tending of Yggdrasil and balance that guide me on my personal search. I strive to understand the nature of life and that energy beyond what we see in our smaller worlds.

I do not believe that all people find themselves there or will care to move toward that stage of living. I simply find that it is the correct logical step for me. I realize that life has a lot more at stake than the small things that we concern ourselves with. If it were not for those of us that maintain that larger balance, the rest of the things would not exist nor have any defense to correct this. To me, this is what parody with the gods entails, as they also do their part in this grander scheme of the worlds.

As for the Earth connection. Each base element has purpose. I believe too that each individual has a different affinity. I have always been most comfortable with water. I swam before I could even walk. I am able to heal myself or gather strength in it. It is equally useful to grounding yourself to the Earth. I do not suppose people consider this Norse. I consider truth to be truth and this to be a place of truth. I practice and study the old ways, so I speak openly about what else is true of my life and experience.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:09 am

liolixli wrote:
I try to find balance here and in Norse study where I can be more assertive and positive without reverting to such things. Most people read and find personal issues of heroics or honor. I do study these things, but it is really the tending of Yggdrasil and balance that guide me on my personal search. I strive to understand the nature of life and that energy beyond what we see in our smaller worlds.

I do not believe that all people find themselves there or will care to move toward that stage of living. I simply find that it is the correct logical step for me. I realize that life has a lot more at stake than the small things that we concern ourselves with. If it were not for those of us that maintain that larger balance, the rest of the things would not exist nor have any defense to correct this. To me, this is what parody with the gods entails, as they also do their part in this grander scheme of the worlds.

As for the Earth connection. Each base element has purpose. I believe too that each individual has a different affinity. I have always been most comfortable with water. I swam before I could even walk. I am able to heal myself or gather strength in it. It is equally useful to grounding yourself to the Earth. I do not suppose people consider this Norse. I consider truth to be truth and this to be a place of truth. I practice and study the old ways, so I speak openly about what else is true of my life and experience.

liolixli,
I really enjoyed reading your reply. It shows a deep and thoughtful character.
I entered the medical field long before I ever knew that healing could be achieved in other ways. I certainly didn't know when I got started that I had any ability to move energy to affect healing. I do not view medical care as an either/or proposition - either using medical care or more nature-based methods. But, then again, the model I was trained under is a holistic model which addresses health as it functions in various realms of a patient's life.
I particularly like what you had to say regarding Yggdrasil and balance. I believe that is my ultimate goal as well. Some might say they want peace, but I think what they really mean is that they want balance. Life is full of battles, storms, and earthquakes, but it is only through maintaining equilibrium - balance - that we can see them through. That need for balance is universal and translates through so many areas - mathematics, poetry, science, the environment, etc - and is a core principle of biology: homeostasis. You are wise indeed in your pursuit.
And, finally, my favorite bit: "I consider truth to be truth and this to be a place of truth." Yes, truth is truth. There is so much in the world that transcends culture. Take shamanic drumming, for example. The indigenous peoples of every continent use some sort of rhythmic drumming to assist with entering a trance. They did/do this because it works. It is a universal truth. Grounding of energy is the same way.
Thanks again for responding.
HonoringEir

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]