View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Wards 

a couple months ago I was in bed and I had a candle lit in my room. it was night, and the candle was the only light illuminating the space. there was no air in my room at this time, I had the vent shut.

Most of the candles we have do not flicker much, because we keep the wicks trimmed. however, the candle was flickering a decent amount, and fairly more than a candle flame would normally flicker. I thought that perhaps there was a presence, so I put up a Ward as a barrier to any potentially unwanted visitors. when I opened my eyes after putting the ward up, the candle flame was larger and flickering like a madman.

was this perhaps my manipulation of the spiritual plane, which fire has a strong presence in that caused the candle to act so drastically, or am I just crazy?

thanks for your thoughts

-Halvar

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:38 pm

What is a "Ward" in the context that you are using the term?

I have never heard of it.

Thanks

Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:20 am

Viggen wrote:
What is a "Ward" in the context that you are using the term?

This is a Wiccan term - I have found it defined as
Quote:
"a Ward is a Shield anchored to a physical place. Instead of using your energy, though, you let Earth energy flow upward to power it"

I do not believe there are many of us here who are Wiccan as their belief system is quite different to ours. Storm

Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:57 am

Storm, I am NOT wiccan. I have a Celtic friend, and a friend who is one of us who taught me this.

Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:00 pm

DefenderofMountains wrote:
Storm, I am NOT wiccan. I have a Celtic friend, and a friend who is one of us who taught me this.

Defender of Mountains. I did not state that you were Wiccan. I defined what a Ward is to someone who was unfamiliar with that term. I said that there were not many on this forum who are Wiccan which is why the term would be unfamiliar.

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:38 pm

Storm simply pointed out that the term is generally considered Wiccan. Wicca is a mongrel path that borrows much from a variety of cultures. I see nothing wrong with incorporating their techniques into your practices if that is what you want...just remember that when you straddle two paths you usually end up falling to the lowest one.

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:46 pm

Thank you Tyrsman

Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:41 pm

Tyrsman and Storm, I know little to nothing about wiccan beliefs or practices. I did not know that this type of magic was not something that our people identified with. I apologize for my ignorance.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:22 am

And just to clarify, ai use my own strength not the earths.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:31 am

Tyrsman and Storm, I know little to nothing about wiccan beliefs or practices. I did not know that this type of magic was not something that our people identified with. I apologize for my ignorance.

My personal opinion:

Magic practices are like combat techniques, find what works best for you. As long as you know the source of your technique there is nothing wrong with utilising it. Of course if you are a traditional reconstructionist then you should strive for historical cultural accuracy. Again, awareness is vital - one thing that we as Odinists should strive to banish from our lives is ignorance.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Tyrsman, I was under the assumption that I was being historically and culturally accurate. I see now the error of my ways. is there a place that you know of where I could truly learn about our magic? I have been studying the runes on Sunnyway and have done some very basic stuff.
thank you for your time.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:12 pm

I have been studying the runes on Sunnyway and have done some very basic stuff.

Brother, I suggest you read the Havamal to assist you with leaning of the runes. Elsewhere, be careful of the information available with regard to spells, divining and how to use them, it is written from the point of view of the author. Remember always, the Runes are living and they are extremely powerful. Learn before you use.

Quote:
I know spells – no king’s wife can say – and no man has mastered; – one is called “Help” – because it can comfort – the sick and careworn, – relieve all sorrows.
I know another – which all men need – who hope to be healers.
I know a third – if I should need – to fetter any foe; – it blunts the edge – of my enemy’s sword, – neither wiles nor weapons work.
I know a fourth: – if I should find myself – fettered hand and foot, – I shout the spell – that sets me free, – bonds break from my feet, – nothing holds my hands.
I know a fifth: – in battle’s fury – if someone flings a spear, – it speeds not so fast – but that I can stop it – I only have to see it.
I know a sixth: – if someone would harm me – by writing runes on a tree root, – the man who wished – I would not come to woe – will meet misfortune, not I.
I know a seventh: – if I see flames – high around a hall, – no matter how far – the fire has spread – my spell can stop it.
I know an eighth – which no one on earth – could fail to find useful: – when hatred waxes – among warriors – the spell will soothe them.
I know a ninth: – if I ever need – to save my ship in a storm, – it will quiet the wind – and calm the waves, – soothing the sea.
I know a tenth: – any time I see – witches sailing the sky – the spell I sing – sends them off their course; – when they lose their skins – they fail to find their homes.
I know an eleventh: – if I lead to war – good and faithful friends, – under a shield I shout – the spell that speeds them – well they fare in the fight, – well they fare from the fight, – wherever they go they fare well.
I know a twelfth: – if up in a tree – I see a corpse hanging high, – the mighty runes – I write and color – make the man come down – to talk with me.
I know a thirteenth: – if I pour water – over a youth, – he will not fall – in any fight, – swords will not slay him.
I know a fourteenth, – as men will find – when I tell them the tales of the gods: – I know all about – the elves and the Æsir – few fools can say as much.
I know a fifteenth – that the dwarf Thjodrorir – chanted at Delling’s door: – power to the Æsir, – triumph to the elves, – understanding to Odin.
I know a sixteenth: – if I say that spell – any girl soon grants my desires; – I win the heart – of the white-armed maiden, – turn her thoughts where I will.
I know a seventeenth, – and with that spell – no maiden will forsake me.
I know and eighteenth – which I never tell – a maiden or any man’s wife – the best of charms – if you can chant it; – this is the last of my lay – unless to a lady – who lies in my arms, – or I’ll sing it to my sister.

This translation is by Patrica Terry - each translation will be slightly different and it is always good to read as many translations as possible - the intent is clear, the delivery is different.

Storm.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:13 pm

Storm, I do not use the runes without a specific purpose and a knowledge of the runes in which I am dealing. I know that they are very deep and very powerful, but I have yet to discover just how so.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:07 pm

I know how deep and powerful they go. Inside of a week I pulled three runes to study : Kaun (amongst other things mortality, death, pain), then Hagall (amongst other things warning of illness), then Ur (amongst other things a primal force, freedom and creation as in Ardhumla who came from the dripping rime). One month later I was resuscitated after my heart stopped due to a severe allergic reaction to potassium. It took them 45seconds to revive me, and since then my purpose is clear, my life is simpler and I am very 'aware' of the Gods and the Earth.

My comment only served as a warning as there are those who do not understand.

Fair well brother and understand as you learn. Storm.

Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]