View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Trolldom 

Are there any members of this forum who are practitioners of Trolldom?

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:24 pm

Would you mind explaining "trolldom"? I am not very familiar with all the different paths but would know more. Also, there is a chance that some may have naturally adopted aspects of trolldom and not know that is what some call it.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:40 pm

Trolldom is Germanic/Scandinavian folk magic. It means "domain/magic of the trolls" While both Galdr and Seiðr are/can be used in Trolldom, it is more largely focused on physical/practical/tangible things in its working. ( An example: https://youtu.be/1_stTrGz9Nw ) it's American equivalent, or the closest thing to it at least, would be Hoodoo

Like Hoodoo, Trolldom is heavily christianized. I am working toward reviving it in my own work into is original Odinist form.

Although I dislike the branching out of our religion into different sects (Asatru/Vanatru/Forn Sið), from my experience it is closest to Forn Sið

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:28 pm

Thank you for the information Vitki, now I have a starting point for further study.

The Christian influence does not bother me as it does some. Many folk religions were forced to disguise their beliefs with the cloak of Christ in order to survive the onslaught. Now that the tide is turning it is becoming easier to find the roots of our ancestrial beliefs and practices...or perhaps it is because it is easier that the tide is turning. Either way, as The Brotherhood says, no need to fear the webs of dead spiders.

As for the branching out of our religion, this is something that I am happy to see. A single, "universal" system allows for corruption and abuse whereas a variety of different paths to the same destination, or the ability to make your own path allow us freedom from being told by another how or why we must do things. Having options also carries with it responsibility, we have to understand the subject in order to make an informed decision. Naturally there will always be those who will make choices not based on the results of their own findings but rather the influence of sentiment or a charismatic leader or that will blindly follow popular opinion and beliefs. I do not refer to them but rather those of us who strive for something more than a life amongst the herd.

Back to Trolldom though. I do not knowingly follow any of its practices but now that I know what to look for perhaps I will discover that I do.

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:16 am

What I meant about the branching out is that it is divisive. As a Vitki, if someone were to analyze my work they would say I practice Forn Sið. But that would make it seem to lessen my work with the gods.

I dislike the christianized aspect of things, but I understand from history how it happened. I still don't like it though.

I know it's not very open of me, but I feel that the abrahamic religions are a cancer on the planet.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:44 am

Vitki wrote:
I know it's not very open of me, but I feel that the abrahamic religions are a cancer on the planet.

I think that is something that all monotheistic religions carry. The "one God, one way" mentality creates more problems and strife than they resolve.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:10 pm

Interesting Timing!

I write a small blog and one of my posts was shared on a Troll-worshiping site in Denmark, through google translate I just learned of this practice myself- it's fascinating but I am where most are at the mere beginning of discovering their practices.

There is actually a Danish comic artist who practices this, I think, her website is titled Humon comics, and she devotes many of her art to trolls.

Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]