View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Mans role in magic 

This may have been covered before.
I do not know much about magic and really haven't ever been too interested in it. I see our path as "the way things are" so what constitutes as magic from reality, I don't know. I don't practice magic. All I have ever read about it have been on here or Edred Throssons rune books.
When I was reading either Tacitus Germania/Agricola or Juleus Caesars Gallic wars (I'm not sure which as I read them back to back) they wrote about how the head priest if available or else the father of the family would throw lots and read them. Many people believe these to be the runes used for divination purposes.
So there is one male reference.
Then we Have Odin. 2 male references.
Also, warrior used to carve magical runes into their weapons.
Would anyone mind expanding on this for me or suggesting another book to read? Thanks.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:59 pm

Also for instance in the Volsunga saga where Sigmund lives underground for years and his son joins him and they have wolves skins hung up that they put on to go handle their business at times. It seems as though this could be some kind of magic or it could be an analogy about how they had to live underground and be like wolves to regain the family fortune and power. I am not sure.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:05 pm

I too am interested in this topic. I also know very little on the subject but would like to hear from some learned person. I did read somewhere that magic was considered "unmanly" and left mostly to women, though I'm not sure of the veracity of the source. Odin practiced magic so it can't be that unmanly.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:38 pm

It might be wise when using Odin as a comparison, to remember that we are, of course, not Odin
and Odin may do whatever he sees fit.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:30 am

Men have always done magic. While Seidr was considered the feminine for of magic because of its receptive nature, and Galdr the masculine form due to its projective nature. They have both always been available to both human genders and been practiced by both human genders.

Frankly a weilder of magic doesn't give a damn about what people think about their practice. Magic is a tool and a weapon to be wielded.

It doesn't matter that we are not Odin or anyone else. We can also do whatever we see fit. Our lives are up to us and the choices we make are not intended to be compared. The gods and other spirits don't sit around and say "well I'm not (insert name) so I can't do (insert thing)",and we shouldn't either.

We all carve out our own paths. In an older society Seidr may have been considered feminine but **** that then, and **** that now.

While we love and honor the gods (and other things), they are our ancestors. Forgetting that and putting them on a pedestal that says they are allowed to do things and we are not, is not the way to go. We are the rulers of Midgard. All the main species rule a world and we are no different. They have to travel to get here just like we have to travel there.

We can learn a great deal from our spiritual relatives, both human and other. We honor them for that, and for their power and might. But that doesn't mean that we cannot gain the same power, wisdom, and might.

The stories and adventures of our people went into hiding for a while. We now look mainly into old sources to see what was done. But we are no different than the ancient people. The religion of the North is living and changing. More stories will be written and told of people emerging now.

We don't have to look to the past as a time of power that can never be matched. We determine what is right today, what is possible today. No one looks back and is glad that we have lost most of the knowledge of magic we once had. So if magic is what you want to do than do it. And don't let anyone stop you.

The brave and powerful carve their own paths. They do not let the thoughts and words of others do it for them.

-Vitki (a pretty badass sorcerer)

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:00 am

Interestingly enough, speaking of magic and the like ... I was only the other day queried, by a young seeker via e-mail, if it could be said that members of the
Odin Brotherhood are like the mysterious Jedi knights of Star Wars.

At first I was taken somewhat aback by this question. I told this person that no, the folk of the Brotherhood are not energy sword-wielding masters of arcane powers like he saw in the movies. The new Star Wars film has gotten quite a few people - especially younger folk - quite enamored with those films and the Lucas mythology once again. However, I also know that the creator of Star Wars, George Lucas is a very keen student of history and a long-standing student of the late Joseph Campbell, and so I know that the Jedi are not simply pure fancy.

I suggested to him that while Jedi are fictional characters with powers not seen here on Earth (well, rarely anyway), their original inspiration
no doubt came from people-of-power, such as ancient Buddhists, Siddihs and other mystics. I also suggested that while I personally know of no members of the
Odin Brotherhood who wield such powers, for those who walk in the ways of the Old Gods, nothing is impossible.

The tradition of the Brotherhood has been in this world for half a millennium, surviving all attempts to destroy it by various upheavals and human-created menaces. In order to do this our people have had to be cunning, wise and talented on many levels. I have little doubt that this repertoire of skills included what some might label as magic or manipulation of the arcane powers.

Already I have come to know that there are a great many fathoms of depth to the Brotherhood, and those who come to it know only the tiniest tip of the iceberg so to speak.
... and being one who is relatively new to the tradition (Initiated for less than a decade) I acknowledge that I know very little indeed thus far. I would not be at all surprised to discover in future years, that indeed there is a tradition of deeper mysticism in the Brotherhood.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:39 pm

I see Odin as a teacher and as an example to strive towards. While we are not Odin, he is a leader and leaders lead by example.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:29 pm

Here is my personal opinion (from a previous post):

If you feel called to the practice of seidr, galdr, spae, or runic magic in any way, whether it be to study or practice, then you should follow that path regardless of what others think.

I have a suspicion that the "unmanliness" stigma of seidr has been blown somewhat out of proportion since the introduction of Christianity to the North. When seidr was outlawed (by Olaf Tryggvason I believe) men who practiced it were given the choice of either fleeing his lands or die. That an official edict was necessary would seem to indicate that the practice was somewhat widespread. I think that it was most likely a distasteful necessity for some men to be versed in the art. Any good leader would use every tool at their disposal to obtain a political or tactical advantage.

I study the concepts and methods of seidr so that I may have a better understanding of the weave of things but I do not attempt to utilize it.

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:47 pm

Hail!

I will admit I do have abilities using magick. I am not an ODB member and truthfully I don't know the technical names of each type of magick. I don't have resource guides or books to learn techniques from. Honestly I learn through dreams or some how "just know" what I'm doing without knowing it, and it works. I use runes primarily for divination and have yet to learn even more about them. I've been using them for 10 years. Runes Are Incredibly Powerful! Magick is real. I think of it like electricity, I know electricity works but can't personally explain the fundamentals of it. I just know it works and use it. If anybody has books or resources on Galdr, Seidr, rune magick please let me know. I would love to learn more traditional ancestral methods and ways of using my abilities.

Bucky

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:25 pm

In my opinion a naturally occurring ability such as you have, even if not particularly developed, is much more desirable than the skills of a practicioner who has been "schooled" in the art.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:21 pm

Hail Tyrsman,

I wasn't sure about my abilities, considering I have no "exact" method. I don't use pentagrams or any of that egyptian junk. My method is simple and and I agree with you. I have always just used my methods and they always work. I really admire Odin and Frejya as my inspirations with magick, as they are true masters. I can only hope to aspire to be as powerful as them one day. Thanks for your thoughts Tyrsman.

Bucky

Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:30 pm

Bucky,

This morning I was reading in the Volsunga Saga before my workout and in the notes at the end of the chapter was a reference to this 3 volume work: Leechdoms, Wortcunning, and Starcraft of Early England: Being a Collection of Documents Illustrating the History of Science in this Country before the ...
This three-volume work, published in 1864-6, was edited by Thomas Oswald Cockayne (1807-73), a Cambridge graduate, much-published early member of the London Philological Society, and teacher of the philologists Walter Skeat and Henry Sweet. It is a collection of writings from pre-Conquest Britain on plants, medicine and the heavens, mostly in Old English with accompanying modern English translations. The preface of Volume 3 discusses questions including the identity of the Anglo-Saxon translator of Bede's De Temporibus and the similarities between Classical and medieval dream-interpretation and divination, and the Victorian penchant for spiritualism and astrology. The texts in this volume include remedies, charms and prayers for the sick, in Latin and Old English, lists of plant names, works on solar and lunar calendars and horoscopes, and explanations of the prophetic meaning of dreams. The volume ends with some historical fragments in Old English relating to monastic foundations.
There is also a book called: NORTHERN LORE by Eoghan Odinsson
As well as Stephen Flowers books on Runelore/history/etc.

I can not vouch for how accurate they are since I do not practice magic. I have read all but the first as I just discovered it this morning. They are interesting though.

Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:20 pm

I was once told that magic, in its truest form, is the ability of the practitioner to perceive the strands of Önd, the energy of life in the world and
perhaps even the stuff that the weave of Wyrd is made of, and manipulate its flow to achieve desired outcomes. I am no sorcerer or mage but I will say from experience, that in many cases the ordinary person (in terms of magic) can find amazing examples of magic every day just by truly opening his eyes to the wonders of Midgard all around him. Most of us are so blind to the power surging all around us. We miss most of what is really going on.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]