View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Magic. 

When performing magic, I tend to work more with the wights or ancestors than the gods. I'm not sure how common this is, but for me at least, that is what seems to get me the best results. Where as with the gods, I tend to look more for guidance, knowledge, etc. With exceptions for both obviously.

But I've never worked with trolls or giants to gain their knowledge, power, etc. I never really thought to honestly. Between Odin, Freya, and a few dwarves, I've pretty much always had what I needed knowledge wise. But due to people posting things about trollmagic (not this forum) it did have me curious to what benefit there might be in stiring up some troll or giant with magical knowledge and seeing what they have to say.

I was hoping to gain some insight of what you people, who I'm sure are much more clever than me, think.

I'm addition, my little brother took my mjolnir that hung in my car, while shopping on etsy for a new one I came across a bunch of “troll crosses". Does anyone know if or where these are mentioned in lore?

-Vitki

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:24 am

If you want to pursue the knowledge of the giants, it all depends on your ability to consort with the enemy. This might be a bit biased, but I'm sure Odin wouldn't appreciate your company with the giants for the sake of power.

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:02 am

Vitki, I am in unison with Galskap. I do not think Odin or any of the Aesir or Vanir would approve you keeping company with giants or trolls.

Great care needs to be taken.

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:06 pm

It is worth keeping in mind that not all giants stand in opposition to our gods. Skadi is a giantess that is near and dear to me. The Asgardians feared her justified wrath but welcomed her into their ranks. Gird aided Thor and is the mother of Vidar, son of Odin and slayer of the wolf. Many forget Aegir is jotun. Another of the jotun who is said to live in Asgard is the vice giant Karl. Also Jarnsaxa gave birth to Thor's son Magni.

Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:21 pm

I would say that in my own experiences I have found that those referred to as Jotuns and other such, were apparently anthropomorphised considerably over the years, going from references to elements - forces beyond our control such as aspects of the environment - and made into physical beings. Possibly this is because it was easier for most people to comprehend. I am also quite suspicious that the unfortunate age of christianization lent many an unwanted 'flavor' to the old stories and forced them into the good-versus-evil mold that they were never intended for.

I have decades of experience in the rough wilderness country and I have endured some very nasty surprises, both from nature and from the work of men. I would say that the work of human beings can perhaps be considered 'bad' at times but the work of the elements and even of the spirit-folk? I guess that depends on one's point of view.

Of course, and some of my initiated brothers and sisters may disagree with me on this, I do not believe there is any such thing as evil.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:02 pm

It seems to me that one can learn from anyone and be helped by anyone. At the same time, if I need someone to help me pull a car out of a ditch I wouldn't bother asking my wife for help... I'd probably call some of my stronger buddies. At the same time, if I need help with translating Classical Greek I'd probably call for my wife instead.

Among the holy ones, I trust the Aesir, Vanir, and Ancestors the most, and I trust them with the most. Asking others for help may be reasonable, so long as you do not need to compromise your loyalties. I prefer to address my ancestors for issues that may seem more mundane and the Gods with issues that go beyond the walls of my household.

"Magic" may be defined in multiple ways, but for my purposes an explicit definition is neither practical nor necessary. Broadly speaking, whether this thread is interested in "magic" as the 1) method of invoking holy aid or as a 2) product of holy practice, I would stress the importance of knowing well the source of such "magic".
r

Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]