View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Pronouncing the Elder Futhark 

I encountered this little table on pronunciation. It may be useful for novices:

Fehu Feh-who
Uruz Oor-ooze
Thurisaz Thoor-isaz
Ansuz Awn-sooz
Raidho Rye-though
Kenaz Kain-az
Gebo Geh-bo
Wunjo Wuhn-yo
Hagalaz Hagh-alaz
Nauthiz Nowth-is
Isa Ee-sa
Jera Yair-a
Eihwaz Ayhh-waz
Perthro Pairth-row
Elhaz El-haz
Sowilo So-willow
Tiwaz Tee-waz
Berkano Bear-kano
Ehwaz Ehh-waz
Mannaz Man-naz
Laguz Lagh-ooze
Ingwaz Ing-waz
Dagaz Dagh-az
Othala Owe-thala

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:45 am

Just recently stumbled across this little chart.

Very cool. Thanks for posting it, OBL

Coyote

Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:58 pm

Very helpful, Thank you.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:10 pm

I found this site helpful (thanks Coyote...)

http://www.runemaker.com/runemaker.shtml

While I don't agree with his way of making rune sets out of deadfall wood, there is a lot of info here. If you go into the Rune Meanings pages he has attached a little sound file of him saying each rune.

~Stormdancer

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Just to clarify, some may have come across some folks in The Troth pronouncing the runes with a z'j vowel like Nauthiz'j instead of [Nah'theez]. I can say that this is a modern interpretation and seems to have no historic basis in fact. I asked for a 2nd opinion from Swain Wodening and some Old Norse and Germanic language speakers, and they assert that this "z'j" doesn't even exist in Germanic languages. I have only ever heard the z'j vowel in Slavic and Finno-Urgric languages. Like a nice thing to refer to a Russian woman is, "Z'jenshina ("lady") Another example, I once worked for a Hungarian family, and my boss's name was Zjolt. It sounded like the Hungarian actress from old Hollywood films, Gsa Gsa Gabor.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:02 pm
Profile YIM

Do you speak Ancient Nordic fluently? I am looking to learn the tongue of our ancient brothers and if you do I would be honored if you could teach me!

if you are interested please shoot me an email at airsoftdwarve@gmail.com

Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Problem is moste of russia Are inhabitad by the Rus, who are a viking people from middle/northern scandinavia. Who traveled and settlet in the land of the Greater Svithiod (Greater Svitiod,"Greater Sweden"), so it prrobably is more connected to the futhark than we would think.

Anyway the people and the Rus are scandinavian people, probably the z'j sound is a mix from the language the Rus spoke, which was proto-germanic, and Maybe also a bit influenced by something native to the countries sourronding Rus, like you said Slavic.

But nevertheless, the Rus was never are spearate people, the we're a bloodline from the old land. Settled in nowadays Novogorod, what they called Holmgård then in around 860-870.

So historically speaking the z'j sound might not be as old as the eldher futhark, but it is undeniably something that has grown out of it, and most certainly not from another language.

Bytheway, DefenderofMountains, what langauge is your nativa language. Some languages that derrive from the futhark/proto-norse/germanic language still have så much left of grammar and even words that it is alot easier to start to understand.

Though learning single words can be tricky

Here's a link for you

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/ger ... tml#images

each clickable link is a page in a lexicon. it's A Proto-Germanic to German lexicon, so it requires knowledge of german or google translate to understand the translations. (though google translate isn't always accurate)

But note that the ProtoGermanic language is the OLDEST language of the old lands.
The other languages on
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/ger ... texts.html
or derivations of Proto-germanic
Proto Germanic is the tounge of the Elder Futhark

Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]