View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Drawing Runes 

I am new to using runes. If one is drawing runes from a bag, does he return the first rune drawn to the bag, stir them up, then draw again? Or do you just draw the needed number, so there's no chance of getting the same rune twice?

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:19 am

Wotan's Late Harvest wrote:
I am new to using runes. If one is drawing runes from a bag, does he return the first rune drawn to the bag, stir them up, then draw again? Or do you just draw the needed number, so there's no chance of getting the same rune twice?

In the first century A.D. the Roman author Tacitus wrote his Germania 10 in which he gives an account of some divinatory practices of ancient Germanic people.

"For divination and the casting of lots they have the highest regard. Their procedure in casting lots is always the same. They cut off a branch of a nut-bearing tree and slice it into strips; these they mark with different signs and throw them completely at random onto a white cloth. Then the priest of the state, if the consultation is a public one, or the father of the family if it is private, offers a prayer to the gods, and looking up at the sky picks up three strips, one at a time, and reads their meaning from the signs previously scored on them. If the lots forbid an enterprise, there is no deliberation that day on the matter in question; if they allow it, confirmation by the taking of auspices is required."

Also the Odin Brotherhood tradition which is said to be an unbroken tradition from the 15th century uses wood from a fruit bearing tree. This is also mentioned by Tacitus.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:29 pm

BjornBerserk wrote:
Wotan's Late Harvest wrote:

In the first century A.D. the Roman author Tacitus wrote his Germania 10 in which he gives an account of some divinatory practices of ancient Germanic people.

"For divination and the casting of lots they have the highest regard. Their procedure in casting lots is always the same. They cut off a branch of a nut-bearing tree and slice it into strips; these they mark with different signs and throw them completely at random onto a white cloth. Then the priest of the state, if the consultation is a public one, or the father of the family if it is private, offers a prayer to the gods, and looking up at the sky picks up three strips, one at a time, and reads their meaning from the signs previously scored on them. If the lots forbid an enterprise, there is no deliberation that day on the matter in question; if they allow it, confirmation by the taking of auspices is required."

Also the Odin Brotherhood tradition which is said to be an unbroken tradition from the 15th century uses wood from a fruit bearing tree. This is also mentioned by Tacitus.

Thanks. I've read Tacitus and completely forgot this bit. Fortunately, 1) there are a lot of walnut trees in my apartment compound; 2) we've had intense windstorms lately: lots of branches to choose from. Excuse me. Work to do.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]