View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Perthro? 

I have been pulling runes for several years now- however, whenever I pull "Perthro" I never understand it's meaning in a draw.

I know it's definition: the gambling cup or the cauldron of wisdom, but it doesn't "speak" to me or ever make any form of sense to me at all.

I cannot think of a "Perthro" situation, and when I've pulled it, I am blind to what it says, it seems.

I do not understand why I cannot grasp this rune as fully as the others.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:18 am

Pertho - Birth, Initiation
Bringer of Birth
Initiator
Life-giver

Pertho is probably the most misunderstood Rune in the Elder Futhark. it has been called the Unknown, or Random Rune, the Dice Box, the Table Game, the Birth Rune and the Apple. A case can be made for all of the interpretations. But Pertho is the Birth Rune. It is not the Rune that protects the mother at birth. It is the Rune that protects the baby. Pertho is Initiation. it speaks to dramatic change - inside and out; where you are and who you are. It brings one through the initiatory experience, but gives no understanding or sense of hope. Because of this it can leave one in a state of confusion. Suggestion is to couple this with the B Rune during a birth or initiation.

I follow this with the words of Edred Thorsson "Runelore" (pp125) and it tends to make more sense. It relates to Wyrd. Perhaps you will find this useful ... Stormr

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:43 am

Norse Storm Dragon wrote:
Pertho - Birth, Initiation
Bringer of Birth
Initiator
Life-giver

Pertho is probably the most misunderstood Rune in the Elder Futhark. it has been called the Unknown, or Random Rune, the Dice Box, the Table Game, the Birth Rune and the Apple. A case can be made for all of the interpretations. But Pertho is the Birth Rune. It is not the Rune that protects the mother at birth. It is the Rune that protects the baby. Pertho is Initiation. it speaks to dramatic change - inside and out; where you are and who you are. It brings one through the initiatory experience, but gives no understanding or sense of hope. Because of this it can leave one in a state of confusion. Suggestion is to couple this with the B Rune during a birth or initiation.

I follow this with the words of Edred Thorsson "Runelore" (pp125) and it tends to make more sense. It relates to Wyrd. Perhaps you will find this useful ... Stormr

That is the best, most cohesive explanation I've read, thank you.

Now it makes sense why I could not understand it before- I am generally unaware of my own reputation with others in real life; mostly because all interactions with the "public" community have turned out poorly to the point where I learn I cannot stand being around drunks and people playing dress-up making a mockery of everything I stand for, then in turn, when I try to help change things to be more transparent and honorable, I end up getting slandered at best, betrayed and hurt at worst.

A good example of Perthro, in the context you suggested, is I was hardly online for 2 months, when I returned, I found that even though I seldom came online or added content to any pages, my work was still referenced favorably including here in this forum.

I was, and still feel very humbled and awed that there are people who think so well of me. I had no idea conversations occurred of a positive nature where I was referenced until I returned this week- Although I have not taken part in any formal, literal initiations, I feel that the fact that I can be entirely absent in presence and still have a positive influence shows me that I have just begun to build a Legacy with my researches and writings that is honorable and positive.

But still, being spoken well of and seen as an educated, honorable source of information is an "initiation" to me... that's a new level I didn't think I achieved (or I wasn't able to see it without my absence)

What do you think of that interpretation? Does that sound "Perthro" to you or am I STILL off....

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Tyrienne wrote:
... I cannot stand being around drunks and people playing dress-up making a mockery of everything I stand for, then in turn, when I try to help change things to be more transparent and honorable, I end up getting slandered at best, betrayed and hurt at worst.
My advice on this would be to stay clear of people who Blot or Sumbel or Feast to purely get drunk, or those who play dress-up as it makes them feel closer to the gods. In every aspect of human life - culture or religion etc - the society/group/tribe is broken down into sub-groups, those who have no idea, those who have some idea but just don't know how to get it, and those who know. And these people fall into one of these groups.

I think you are on the right track with regard to Perthro but I think with this Rune in particular, meditation and clear thinking are the key. Sometimes it is best to step back and not overthink too much. It relates to wyrd, therefore it is not anything specific but many actions brought together. Its true meaning will come to you.

Stormr

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:29 pm

I certainly can't offer anything nearly as insightful as Storm, her thoughts seem to be very accurate to your situation. I will add this I hope that may be of help to others.

I have a strong suspicion that while each of the runes have some consistent characteristics, prolonged study of them will reveal a bit more individual relevance. I also feel that the runes also have different implications for males and females.

For me Perthro carries a message of risk and reward. Not so much as in its traditional and widely held concept of a "gamble" but one of "what are you willing to put on the line?" - but more along the lines of sacrifice rather than gamble.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:53 am

Tyrsman, I like your interpretation too and I find it does (kinda) relate to what has been said.

Quote:
"what are you willing to put on the line?" - but more along the lines of sacrifice rather than gamble
as I would read this Rune to relate to the 'birth' of an idea, concept, project, new chapter in life. Whenever we start new endeavours, we are putting past experiences on the line in the hope that they will benefit us going forward. As you can see, I am not one to take the meanings in a literal sense but (like my life) I take the meanings on the periphery ... if that makes sense. Stormr

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:50 am

It makes a great deal of sense, both in relation to the conversation as well as applying the concepts to your life.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:23 am

...My advice on this would be to stay clear of people who Blot or Sumbel or Feast to purely get drunk, or those who play dress-up as it makes them feel closer to the gods. In every aspect of human life - culture or religion etc - the society/group/tribe is broken down into sub-groups, those who have no idea, those who have some idea but just don't know how to get it, and those who know. And these people fall into one of these groups....

Stormr

We have been. It's very lonely to say the least. It goes back to another post I made a few months ago about how even honorable seeming people suddenly seem to "fall off cliffs" of morality so to speak. Great men become addicted to hard drugs for no apparent reason, knowledgeable Odinists end up pandering to simpering fools and try to placate everyone fearful of offending a single soul claiming it's "peace" when in all actuality it's nothing like Odinism, the Odinist groups around here have fallen in a myriad of ways.

Some are drunks- we avoid them.
Some watched "Vikings" and decided they were suddenly "Vikings"- we avoid them as well.
Some were once very good people, and we tried to help when life became difficult for them, but they ended up with serious drug addictions and all the ******** and deception that comes with it- we cut them out of our lives with a door open saying "Call us when you seek treatment"

Then, among personal friends- one we lost to a stripper, he gave up his only child and his Odinist ways to be part of a haram of men for a literal 40 year old whore with a rainbow of children from several absent fathers.

My connection to Odinism now outside of my own life, home and family is the internet.

It feels very wrong to me. As if things should be much different than they are and the things I have seen and the people I have seen change in even just their 30's and 40's is perplexing to me.

I also do not associate with people who cheat on their spouses- No matter what the spouse did or did not do- I advocate divorce over cheating and since I strongly believe in fidelity, I suppose that makes me more intolerant than most when I know a 'friend' is "running around" when there are children at home especially.

If they were true Odinist, that deception would be as abhorrent to them as it is to me. I understand some relationships are "open" and that is fine; what I cannot abide is the dishonesty and selfishness for intentionally causing harm in deception in exchange for temporary gratification. I see it as an indicator of a soul unworthy, male or female. (But that could just be a Pa Dutch thing- marriage is taken very seriously and marriage Oaths dissolve with infidelity. To be cheated on is to respect the self enough to leave. To cheat is to be shunned and disregarded)

But, instead, I see nothing but sympathy for sociopaths and love for narcissism....just like I see in every other aspect of American culture.

I feel like screaming, "WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!"

The few people I know I trust are also very harmed, just as isolated, and none of us are within driving distance easily- there is no sub-community any longer of ethical people, the ethical people treat this time like a zombie apocalypse, bought land (as did we) and it seems we are all "waiting for a better time"- since whenever anyone stands up to create the changes we wish to see locally and regionally, we are attacked and gaslighted instantly for being "trouble".

The Lokisenna occurs not just with people who follow Loki-anyone who has spoken up has either left for other states or is in seclusion hoping something will happen that will end this bizarre cycle of people making terrible decisions with even worse motives. We need accountability, and no organization is willing to enforce any unless it is regarding their public image. Rotten apples spread their rot to those who surround them. It's better to be alone than to be among them.

My theory is that when the Earth itself is sick, the shamans, too- fall into illness if they do not recognize that their hardship is merely a microcosmic reflection of the harm being done to the grounds on which we live. There is fracking around my state and some strip mining. Water is toxic in many towns but since we are barely (technically) an East-coastal state we get no publicity for these things.

Our state has also had race riots that are not televised beyond the local papers or news stations.

Sometimes, I feel like I slipped into an alternate reality where the friends I have loved and mutually trusted for 15+ years have become strangers to me, and I do not know why they are doing these things that they would have never considered and I have no answers.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:50 pm

Tyrienne - I do not have an answer for you. You are clearly stuck between a rock and a hard place. Perhaps it is only something you can ride out the best way you can. I refer back to the fall of the Roman Empire ... time is spherical, what was, returns; what is, will be again; and what will be, has already been. Stormr

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:14 am

Tyrienne - I do not have an answer for you. You are clearly stuck between a rock and a hard place. Perhaps it is only something you can ride out the best way you can. I refer back to the fall of the Roman Empire ... time is spherical, what was, returns; what is, will be again; and what will be, has already been. Stormr

Wise words!

Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]