View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Uruz 
Uruz: pronounced; 'ooo-rooze'. Is the 'oo' sound like 'booze'?

What else can you tell me about this rune?

Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:26 pm

Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:28 am
Profile WWW

For a larger reply, the best thing I think one can do is meditate on the Rune Poems.

You should be able to find translations of the Old Norwegian Rune Rhyme, the Old Icelandic Rune Poem, and the Old English rune poem online or in any of a number of books. Once one understands the poems, it is easier to talk about the staves.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:52 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you for the information, I wanted to continue something Ravenwolf had started to keep this site active by talking about the runes and sagas. I agree I can search the net for information (and have), but thought it better if we could disscuss it here and share information amongst friends.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:15 pm

What do you think of the rain/drizzle/snow imagery in the Rune Poem stanzas relating to this stave?

Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:29 am
Profile WWW

I've always thought it strange how in the Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem Uruz means "Aurochs", in the Norwegian poem it means "slag", and in the Icelandic it means "drizzle." This is odd considering Hagalaz means "hail" in all three poems. I wonder why some meanings were changed and others stayed the same?

Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:50 am
In that case:

What do you think of the rain/drizzle/snow imagery in the Rune Poem stanzas relating to this stave?

I have not yet read the rune poems, something I will need to do. Can you elaborate more?

Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:31 pm

I have not yet read the rune poems, something I will need to do.

This page has all three main poems, both in the original languages and in modern English translations.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:23 pm

I've always thought it strange how in the Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem Uruz means "Aurochs", in the Norwegian poem it means "slag", and in the Icelandic it means "drizzle." This is odd considering Hagalaz means "hail" in all three poems. I wonder why some meanings were changed and others stayed the same?

Maybe the aurochs didn't live in Norway? I am pretty sure that there weren't any of them in Iceland either.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:45 pm
Profile WWW

Maybe the aurochs didn't live in Norway? I am pretty sure that there weren't any of them in Iceland either.

Good point. It would make sense for them to adapt the meanings of the runes to their own surroundings.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:09 am

whats with the christian influence in the saxon and norweigan poems?refering to christ in one and the lord in the other?id put no stock in anything thats been influenced by christianity

Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:25 am

As long as this thread has been revived, does it still mean auroch in Swedish?

Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:13 pm

Haggis wrote:
Uruz: pronounced; 'ooo-rooze'. Is the 'oo' sound like 'booze'?

What else can you tell me about this rune?

Quote:
Uruz is pronounced as the double O sound in the modern English word 'book'.

Quoted from http://www.ragweedforge.com/runemean.html

Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:10 pm

Post Re:
they did exist in europe and in areas where the germanic tribes inhabited so its perfectly logical that the meaning of uruz could be Auroch its important to rmember that th e runes where not exclusive to scandanavia.
einhverfr wrote:
Quote:

Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]