View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Ansuz 
Ansuz - "awn-sooze '; A as in "awning", "call" or "law"

(A: The As, ancestral god, i.e. Odin.) A revealing message or insight, communication. Signals, inspiration, enthusiasm, speech, true vision, power of words and naming. Blessings, the taking of advice. Good health, harmony, truth, wisdom. Ansuz Reversed or Merkstave: Misunderstanding, delusion, manipulation by others, boredom. Vanity and grandiloquence. (Odin is a mighty, but duplicitous god. He always has his own agenda.)

Fri May 02, 2008 1:41 pm

Polome discusses this in some length in a 1953 article in French. I have only heard about this second hand. I have read what he wrote in 1989 in "Essays on Germanic Religion" however where he says it simply means "A sovereign god." (I *highly* recommend "Essays on Germanic Religion".)

I have heard that he suggests that it may be related to words for "reins" indivating that the holder of the reins is the sovereign figure. This might (along with Raidho) suggest a chariot-as-soul symbolism here as well (also found in the Bagavad Gita and Plato's "Phaedrus").

Sat May 10, 2008 4:29 am
Profile WWW

The ONRR states (Edred's translation):

Estuary is the way of most journeys
But the sheath is [that way] for swords

The Old English Rune Poem speaks of Mouth as the chieftain of speach.

The Old Icelandic Rune Poem speaks of Odin.

The Rune Poems here are more varied than for any other stave other than Uruz. Here I suspect that all thee are explorations of a very abstract principle: sovereignty.

The idea of cautious control is also indicated in this exploration in the ONRR-- one doesn't go sailing out into the ocean when following the coast is possible, nor does one always rush in waving a sword (for example, when entering a mead hall). Here is an idea of restrained power.

Sat May 31, 2008 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]