View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Teiwaz 

Last night, I dreamt of this rune. In my dream I called it Tyr. It has been a long time since I really took any time using the runes or studying them, so perhaps my dream was brought on by the last several days of going through posts on this forum, but the dream was not meaningless.
I can only remember bits and pieces, images of the rune shining in my minds eye, seeing in the surroundings images, such as brambles, weeds and undergrowth in a forest of trees. My attention was drawn to the brambles, the wild blackberries and their thorns, how they thrive amidst all the chaos of weeds around them, and in that I perceived strength. Fighting for survival. Then the young saplings striving to reach towards the sun through the canopy of larger trees, and again, the rune shone indicating strength. I felt from this dream that strength comes in many forms. A warrior must not always be one who does physical combat, but also it can mean one who perseveres against all odds, one who does not compromise. Facing challenges and overcoming.

Normally I do not see myself as a warrior, but my heart and soul have always craved a warrior's life. It's a strange confliction to be a person who has always had a talent for avoiding any real physical fights, except in play or against my younger siblings, but in my adult life, I am not a very physically strong or combative person. (Not a wimp, either) I spend much time daydreaming about life in another time and place, in which I might have been a warrior, allowing my fantasizing to I inspire my writing. But this dream seemed to be showing me how strength might manifest in other ways, how the warrior spirit may be useful even to one who is not a warrior in the physical sense, and I found the message quite inspiring and insightful.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:12 pm

Tyr is also the God of diplomats. I tried for years to become a police officer, and I almost succeeded at becoming a diplomat (after years of education and training)...and now, I feel closer to Tyr than ever, but I am nothing more than a chaplain.

Some say that Tyr is Goethe and advisor to the Aesir, some countries believe he gave up the role of "warrior" in favor of teacher after he lost his hand- some other accounts have him as the teacher of Loki's children, especially Lady Hel- where the other Gods shunned these children.

Even Thor is more complex than being simply a warrior.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:47 am

Tyrienne wrote:
Tyr is also the God of diplomats. I tried for years to become a police officer, and I almost succeeded at becoming a diplomat (after years of education and training)...and now, I feel closer to Tyr than ever, but I am nothing more than a chaplain.

Some say that Tyr is Goethe and advisor to the Aesir, some countries believe he gave up the role of "warrior" in favor of teacher after he lost his hand- some other accounts have him as the teacher of Loki's children, especially Lady Hel- where the other Gods shunned these children.

I appreciate that bit of knowledge. Sorry your attempts to enter the police force or become a diplomat were unsuccessful, but all things happen for a reason, right? Whether you can see it now or not, you are probably better off being a chaplain until your path carries you elsewhere. From following some of your comments it seems like you have the ability to do a lot of good for others.
For me, seeing that rune in my dream and how it showed strength in various forms was of benefit to me at this time when I sometimes doubt myself and my own strength and so on. :)

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:41 am

Tyrienne wrote:
some countries believe he gave up the role of "warrior" in favor of teacher after he lost his hand- some other accounts have him as the teacher of Loki's children, especially Lady Hel- where the other Gods shunned these children.

Nice piece of information.

This sums a lot with my concept of Tyr.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:11 am

BTW, can anyone recommend a really good website for information on the elder futhark runes? I have a book that came with an old set of runes, but it is very watered down, and a lot of the sites that pop up on a Google search aren't much better. The more authentic, the better.
I'd like to avoid posting a new thread if possible for this inquiry.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:17 am

Is it correct that the elder futhark is the oldest form of the runes that we know of and the younger is the newest, as the names might suggest? I'm seeing info claiming the Norse viking era used the younger and the elder was Germanic.
What are everyone's thoughts on the different styles?

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:24 am

Fand wrote:
BTW, can anyone recommend a really good website for information on the elder futhark runes? I have a book that came with an old set of runes, but it is very watered down, and a lot of the sites that pop up on a Google search aren't much better. The more authentic, the better.

I like this one:

http://www.northernshamanism.org/runes.html

Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:14 am

Tyrienne wrote:
Fand wrote:

I like this one:

http://www.northernshamanism.org/runes.html

Thank you! Will look into it! :)

Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:00 am

Fand wrote:
Is it correct that the elder futhark is the oldest form of the runes that we know of and the younger is the newest, as the names might suggest? I'm seeing info claiming the Norse viking era used the younger and the elder was Germanic.
What are everyone's thoughts on the different styles?

The Odin Brotherhood uses the Younger since that is the system that was in common use at its founding. The Younger are also the runes you are most likely to run across at archeological sites. If I remember correctly, about 6,000 Scandinavian runestones have Younger Futhark inscriptions whereas around 300 are Elder.

Personally I prefer the Elder as I find them to be more powerful in my life.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:03 am

Tyrienne wrote:

Tyrienne is very correct. She also brings up a very good point - like the Gods and Goddess themselves the runes are much more complex than to be able to sum up in a few lines of a poem. I am convinced that one could literally spend years studying a single rune and only scratch the surface.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:09 am

Tyrsman wrote:
Tyrienne wrote:

Tyrienne is very correct. She also brings up a very good point - like the Gods and Goddess themselves the runes are much more complex than to be able to sum up in a few lines of a poem. I am convinced that one could literally spend years studying a single rune and only scratch the surface.

Tyrsman, that is precisely why I don't feel that all these simplistic interpretations of runes or ogham really sum it all up. I always feel like some deeper meaning is being overlooked.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:48 pm

Fand wrote:
Tyrsman, that is precisely why I don't feel that all these simplistic interpretations of runes or ogham really sum it all up. I always feel like some deeper meaning is being overlooked.

One of the things I have noticed about the runes is that in addition to their general characteristics the runes can have specific influences in different people's lives.

Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]