View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Blood on the runes 

I have read to put your blood on the runes when you first make them.
I have also read to put your blood on the runes every time you read them.
What is the brotherhood opinion?

Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:14 am

The Brotherhood teaches that our soul is in our blood.

I would say that by putting your blood into the runes you are infusing them with your life essence, making them part of yourself and "giving life" to them. This deepens the personal connection one has with their runes.

Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:03 pm

If you have blooded them once, I don't think it is necessary to blood them at every use. Stormr

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:34 am

sweinodinsson wrote:
I have read to put your blood on the runes when you first make them.
I have also read to put your blood on the runes every time you read them.
What is the brotherhood opinion?

Where did you read this?

Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:38 pm

Hakon,
I read so much, it would be hard to say. As far as bloodying the runes when you first make them, I have read that in several books and every Odinist that I have known does this.
I Thought I read something about doing it every time in of the books about the brotherhood, but when I looked back through, I didn't see it anywhere so I thought I'd make this post. If it wasn't in one of those, it may have been in Tacitus' Germania or Caesars memoirs of the Gallic wars, but I'm not sure. I just remember reading it and thinking, "I've never heard nor read that anywhere else."

Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:11 pm

This is my second set of runes. They are my first rune set of the Younger Futhark. Due to the fact that I could only recall reading in one place, blooding them every time, I chose to just blood both side of each rune and be done with it. For anyone who has never made a rune set:
I am by no means any sort of expert in anything of the old ways. I have just been on a quest for knowledge for many years now. Through my journey there are so many things I have never found the answer to. Don't let that stop you. Continue seeking. Whatever you do, do it with respect and even if it is not 100% right, it is ok. Many things in life you just have to EXPERIENCE.

My Younger Futhark runes were cut from an apple branch. I used a wood burner to burn the runes in one side. I cut my forearm with the knife I carry and pressed the front and back of each rune into the cut. A couple times i had to deepen the cut so I could see the blood on the runes better. I soaked the runes in boiled linseed oil to preserve them for the future. I keep my runes inside of a wool sock.
The wool sock is my rune bag because I wanted something plain and natural. I also did not want somebody snooping around to find them and get too curious and mess with something so sacred. Hiding in plain sight, if you will. I also keep a white cloth in the bag to toss the runes on as per the method I read in Tacitus' GERMANIA. The white cloth is what I cut out of my shroud to fit my head through.

I always do the Hammer sign in the way I was taught by a certain sect of Odinists, before I read the runes. (Odin at the top, Baldur at the bottom, Frey over my heart, and Thor to the right.) This is just a personal thing for me. I always do it facing North. Then I hail Bragi, Heimdall, The ancestors, and hail the Elder Kin in general. Is this nescessary? Maybe not, but I believe that individuals should make their own rituals that resonate with them.
I usually leave an offering to the land wights.
Then I ask the runes for their wisdom.
Then I cast the runes on the white cloth and draw 3.
I do it at night.
I record my question somewhere as well as the runes that are drawn.

From the sayings of Har:
"It is best for man to be middle-wise,
Not over cunning and clever:
No man is able to know his future,
So let him sleep in peace."
Although I do use divination. I keep this in mind. I also do not ask the runes frivolous questions. It is not something I do on a daily basis. Usually something is burning inside of me before I ask the runes.

Maybe someone else will share their method. I do this to encourage someone out there. In writing some of these posts on the forum, I do not want to be thought of as someone who thinks he is overly-wise. If you read my posts, I ask many questions. When I post something like this, it is usually because it is something I sought after and did not find sufficient information. What I type is not definitive. Just my personal experience. Please take heart and create your own experience.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:31 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
This is my second set of runes. They are my first rune set of the Younger Futhark. Due to the fact that I could only recall reading in one place, blooding them every time, I chose to just blood both side of each rune and be done with it. For anyone who has never made a rune set:
I am by no means any sort of expert in anything of the old ways. I have just been on a quest for knowledge for many years now. Through my journey there are so many things I have never found the answer to. Don't let that stop you. Continue seeking. Whatever you do, do it with respect and even if it is not 100% right, it is ok. Many things in life you just have to EXPERIENCE.

My Younger Futhark runes were cut from an apple branch. I used a wood burner to burn the runes in one side. I cut my forearm with the knife I carry and pressed the front and back of each rune into the cut. A couple times i had to deepen the cut so I could see the blood on the runes better. I soaked the runes in boiled linseed oil to preserve them for the future. I keep my runes inside of a wool sock.
The wool sock is my rune bag because I wanted something plain and natural. I also did not want somebody snooping around to find them and get too curious and mess with something so sacred. Hiding in plain sight, if you will. I also keep a white cloth in the bag to toss the runes on as per the method I read in Tacitus' GERMANIA. The white cloth is what I cut out of my shroud to fit my head through.

I always do the Hammer sign in the way I was taught by a certain sect of Odinists, before I read the runes. (Odin at the top, Baldur at the bottom, Frey over my heart, and Thor to the right.) This is just a personal thing for me. I always do it facing North. Then I hail Bragi, Heimdall, The ancestors, and hail the Elder Kin in general. Is this nescessary? Maybe not, but I believe that individuals should make their own rituals that resonate with them.
I do it at night.

From the sayings of Har:
Although I do use divination. I keep this in mind. I also do not ask the runes frivolous questions. It is not something I do on a daily basis. Usually something is burning inside of me before I ask the runes.

Maybe someone else will share their method. I do this to encourage someone out there. In writing some of these posts on the forum, I do not want to be thought of as someone who thinks he is overly-wise. If you read my posts, I ask many questions. When I post something like this, it is usually because it is something I sought after and did not find sufficient information. What I type is not definitive. Just my personal experience. Please take heart and create your own experience.

Thank you. I like your posts. You always come across as genuine and not as a know it all or anything. Just a seeker sharing your thoughts and experiences, which is all many of us can do to help one another. It is easy for me to slip into a pattern of always asking questions, but rarely giving of my own thoughts, but as I have grown and learned in my spiritual journey, I have tried to give more, to share what I have experienced, not with the intent that others should follow in my steps, but rather in the hopes that perhaps something I share might ignite a spark of insight in another, to help them find their own way, whatever way is right for the individual. Others sharing their experiences have often proved helpful to me in this wayway, and I find much on this forum that is inspiring.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:14 pm

Fand wrote:
sweinodinsson wrote:

I do it at night.

From the sayings of Har:

Thank you. I like your posts. You always come across as genuine and not as a know it all or anything. Just a seeker sharing your thoughts and experiences, which is all many of us can do to help one another. It is easy for me to slip into a pattern of always asking questions, but rarely giving of my own thoughts, but as I have grown and learned in my spiritual journey, I have tried to give more, to share what I have experienced, not with the intent that others should follow in my steps, but rather in the hopes that perhaps something I share might ignite a spark of insight in another, to help them find their own way, whatever way is right for the individual. Others sharing their experiences have often proved helpful to me in this wayway, and I find much on this forum that is inspiring.

Fand, Thank you for the kind words.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:10 pm

You are welcome, sweinodinsson. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts here.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:26 pm
Site Admin

The only specific mention of blood in Brotherhood lore is the blood intentionally shed in the initiation ritual, the Sojourn-of-the-Brave, which is conducted once in a lifetime during one of the solstices.

Clearly, the ritual is based on the Marking with the Spear, described by Snorri. The purpose is to mark the individual for Valhalla. Sometimes, even the greatest warrior can be struck down by sickness, so clearly the ritual can replace a death in battle.

This is what the Roman Tacitus says about the runes:

Quote:
To divination they pay much attention. Their method is a simple one: they cut a branch from a fruit-bearing tree and divide it into small pieces which they mark with certain distinctive signs and scatter at random onto a white cloth. Then the priest of the community (if it is done publicly) or the father of the family (if it is done privately) after invoking the gods and with eyes raised to heaven, picks up three pieces one at a time and interprets them in accordance with the signs previously marked on them.

Tacitus does not mention blood, but the sagas do. This is from wikipedia:

Quote:
Egils Saga features several incidents of runic magic. The most celebrated is the scene where Egil discovers (and destroys) a poisoned drink prepared for him, by cutting his hand and cutting runes on the drinking horn, and painting the runes with blood. While the motif of blood painted runes also appears in other examples of early Norse literature it is uncertain whether the practice of painting runes with blood is merely a literary invention or whether it had precedence in magical practice.

Of course, as Tyrsman has noted, blood has special power....

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:07 am

OB, that is very interesting. Thank you for sharing. Funny, how the Romans, in some ways have provided a good source of information into the pagan ways, however small it might be, it at least doesn't have the taint of Christianity to poison it.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:26 am

sweinodinsson wrote:

I do it at night.

From the sayings of Har:

I know this is five years after the fact and I don't know if you're still around. But this post of yours was very useful to me. Not necessarily the last authority, but highly informative and auggestive.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]