View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Naudr Brain Storming 

Incomplete thoughts:

Naudr is the need fire. You have to have it to bake bread. In the frozen North you may need it to melt ice for drinking water. Naudr is half of Hagal, Heimdallr's rune. Heimdallr guards the entrance to the Brotherhood. According to OB lore, bread and ice are the foods of Heimdall (but in the Eddas I only recall it saying that he drinks fine mead in Himinbjorg).

Maybe someone can add to these thoughts.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:05 pm

The need fire always seemed like a inner fire to me, I liken it to the adreline , or the unconscious strength of things.. Like how a chimp can literally rip your face off or a mother lifting up a crashed car to free her child.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:14 pm

The shape of Naudr reminds me of a bow drill for starting fires.
"Constraint gives scant choice;
a naked man is chilled by the frost. "

To me Kreft is more what you describe as inner fire and maybe Ur too (strength). That's just what I think about it, not trying to argue with you. I am sure we both see things in such a way that is beneficial to ourselves.

These thoughts were coming to me when I was literally freezing, fasting, and thawing out some ice so Id have something to drink. It was not the sojourn. but it was an ordeal that I made to be similar. I wanted to write down all my thoughts, but I couldn't because I was too busy trying to get the temperature above freezing in my shelter, which is hard to do when most of your wood is wet/frozen...but that is where my head was at when I was meditating on it.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:06 pm

I like your interpretation. certainly makes more sense considering the shape , the poem, and your own experience.
Good food for thought.

I suppose when you think about it, every rune could be considered a inner flame or a light. What I mean is the runes all dwell within us, in our soul and blood and when we work with them they often bring back primal memories and knowledge .. Becoming inspired(fueled by a spirit) as it were, can be done by use of any rune, tho as to what is inspired for depends on the frequency of the particular sound and ones own Will.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:15 pm

"I wanted to write down all my thoughts, but I couldn't because I was too busy trying to get the temperature above freezing in my shelter, which is hard to do when most of your wood is wet/frozen...but that is where my head was at when I was meditating on it."

You wanted to do this but you Needed to do That;)
How fitting.
Still I would of enjoyed to hear the thoughts of a Man inspired by Need

"Naudr is half of Hagal, Heimdallr's rune. Heimdallr guards the entrance to the Brotherhood. According to OB lore, bread and ice are the foods of Heimdall (but in the Eddas I only recall it saying that he drinks fine mead in Himinbjorg)."

Am wondering what school of runic thought your using:
Not to say your wrong by any means, This is just the first time I've heard of heimdal associated with that rune.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:39 pm

North,
You are right. I subscribe to a certain school of thought on the runes. It is called STAV. While I have books written by many people that I like to use as reference, STAV is the system that I use. It is supposed to have been passed down through the Halfskjold family for 44 generations. What led me to it was my search for anything about the Younger Futhark that I could find, which was not much, until I discovered STAV. It has greatly improved my work with the runes and I have not gone very deep into it. For years before I discovered there was such a thing, I based everything off of Edred Thorsson/Stephen Flowers books, What little is said in Tacitus, and the rune poems (which he also includes in his books). It was still helpful, but hazy.
In the STAV tradition there are certain classes, trees, folgie, etc attached to each rune. There are books and videos you can buy off of their various websites. They also have seminars in the US and Europe. There are some study groups here and there. The main school is in the UK.
What little I know of it has helped me with divination and bind runes. It has also helped me with journeying. I am not as proficient as I would like in any of those areas, but I am sure I will learn more reading your posts. You seem very knowledgeable about a variety of things. Another interesting point is that some people have called it "The Cult of Heimdall".

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:37 pm

Very Interesting.
sweinodinsson, another member of this form also uses this STAV tradition if I remember correctly.
there is indeed good info out there in between the lines of various authors.
Do youhave any links where info and books are available?
This cult of Heimdall, I am intrigued.

There are others who frequent this board who are more knowledgeable than mein things and I'm sure you yourself have knowledge that would prove the better.
Something I do know is this: one can make themselves strong in the arts of Seeing and Fairing Forth by a prolonged, prodigious and reasoned derangment of the senses I.e by ootseti , extreme meditation, extreme sleep deprivation, extreme fasting, consumption of psychedelic substances, extreme prayer extreme exertion, extreme isolation, extreme yoga, extreme blood loss, near death experience; the Minds Eye is awakened and refined with continually use of any which avenue or combination between.
But I think you already Know this

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:40 pm

http://www.iceandfire.org/link.html <--- A lot can be discovered from here. Not much is found for free. Disclaimer: I do not represent these people in any way.

vidarsworker@protonmail.com

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:32 am

Most appreciated thank you.

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:34 pm

I am also a student of STAV and recommend reading some of the material. It has helped incorporate the discipline and teaching into my life, much as qi gong does. Stormr

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]