View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Inquiry 

Hail,

I am considering crafting some runes of the younger FUTHARK out of White Birch or Yew, but want a good book on these runes. I have many on the Elder. One book, "Northern Magic" by Edred Thorsson has some info on the Younger FUTHARK, but not much. I have been unable to find any useful books on the younger. Any Suggestions? I use the Elder with great success. Just want a Younger Set. Also, YEW is not native to North Eastern USA, as a tree. Anyone have Ideas where to get YEW wood? Otherwise I am considering White Birch as I think it would make an awesome set of Runes.

~Ravenwolf

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:10 pm
Profile WWW

I might have some books that may be of use to you somewhere in my collection, I will check although it may take some as I have roughly 40 000+ books on my computer and at least 100 physical ones.

I'll see if I can find anything, haha funnily enough I know a person who can get me some yew planks....sadly it wont help much as I am in South Africa

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:11 am

Too bad I am not in South Africa! I appreciate any information on this. Have a drawing to the Younger Runes.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:48 am
Profile WWW

Just a slight update I'm still checking but so far the only ones I have are garbage

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:20 am

Ravenwolf,
Try getting hold of a copy of Edred Thorssons RUNELORE " Magic, history and hidden codes of the runes" This has the best explaination of the younger futhark I have found. (up to date) I got mine at a very reasonable price. It has a chapter listing the different variants of the younger futhark, I used the standard nordic for my runes. It also has a chapter of rune poems. Best wishes in your search.
Rurik

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Rurik wrote:
Ravenwolf,
Try getting hold of a copy of Edred Thorssons RUNELORE " Magic, history and hidden codes of the runes" This has the best explaination of the younger futhark I have found. (up to date) I got mine at a very reasonable price. It has a chapter listing the different variants of the younger futhark, I used the standard nordic for my runes. It also has a chapter of rune poems. Best wishes in your search.
Rurik

Thank you. I have his other books, but missed this one.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:08 am
Profile WWW

I'm still looking out for books that might be useful I've been busy as of late

Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:19 pm

RavenWolf, have you found the yew wood you were searching for yet? I wanted to let you know that if you go to etsy.com there is quite a bit to be found there.

Best wishes

Mon May 05, 2014 3:04 pm

I don't know near as much as I would like, but I do recall that it was to be best out of a windfallen branch, not cut off the tree, green as possible. So before the next wind storm, walk a wooded area with your intent. Then after a storm has passed, see what nature has selected for you knowing your intent. And the wood is what is available where ever you were able to gain it yourself. Then diagonal cut slices that feel right in your hand. Your preference to natural or sanded texture. You must make the runes on each piece yourself, cut or burnt in. My mother used a wood burner. The outter bark pealed off after they are made before they are completely dried. You want to cover them with some kind of wood perservant. A stain or varnish. All I recall at the moment

Wed May 07, 2014 12:09 am

The fact that you 'dont know' much should facilitate in you NOT creating runes, until you know.

This is not instant gratification, you are not a 'runester' if you can tell me what FUTHARK means, and you are messing with potentially dangerous forces.

These are not toys, this is not Wicca.

Wed May 07, 2014 2:07 pm

The younger Futhark is in use by those-of-us-who-know because the system is direct and uncomplicated on the surface, yet subtly powerful on the layers beneath. There is power in this.

It is a good system to use. I also like Thorssen's work on the runes.

Wed May 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Ravencall. Have settled on Oak. THese will last longer. The runes have been crafted and blooded. It is a wonderful set! It speaks well.

Fri May 09, 2014 3:43 pm
Profile WWW

To blood one's runes is to open up very strong doorways to power.

My only suggestion is, as Elcooksta mentioned, that one be very mindful of learning the runes and respecting them.

Only a fool sees them as simply signs carved in wood or bone or stone.

Fri May 09, 2014 4:35 pm

I have worked with the Elder runes for 18 years. Well indoctrinated and educated on their use. I just have had a dream 5 times now I was making a set of Younger runes and decided it was time to investigate the Younger ones. So far I have had a good bond with the new set, and they seem to speak well to me. I think I am putting the Elder runes on the shelf for a while. I hope to learn the language of the younger and the deeper meanings of the younger. Some cross over well with the elder runes, others are new to me. Went through Edred Thorrssons Nine Doors of Midgard with the Elder runes. Want to see what the Younger have to offer. So far I have not been let down.

Sat May 10, 2014 7:55 pm
Profile WWW

Ravenwolf wrote:
I have worked with the Elder runes for 18 years. Well indoctrinated and educated on their use. I just have had a dream 5 times now I was making a set of Younger runes and decided it was time to investigate the Younger ones. So far I have had a good bond with the new set, and they seem to speak well to me. I think I am putting the Elder runes on the shelf for a while. I hope to learn the language of the younger and the deeper meanings of the younger. Some cross over well with the elder runes, others are new to me. Went through Edred Thorrssons Nine Doors of Midgard with the Elder runes. Want to see what the Younger have to offer. So far I have not been let down.

Spoken wisely. We are not cookie cutter cut-outs. We are our own selves guided by our own spiritual connections that are, in turn, guided by the gods individually. We have our own wisdom and own experiences. Nothing is empowered simply for existing. It comes from the shared connection of the user, the "power" the user shares with it. If there is no connection, it will be nothing more than a piece of wood with a scratch. If that wasn't the case, there would be archeologists unleashing chaos every day, or screaming from seeing floating rocks.

Sat May 10, 2014 9:21 pm

I agree. I do not take offense to the warnings of others as they have no idea who I am and what I know. Their points are well taken, and especially a NUBE should not engage the runes without adequate study and use. The Elder Runes have served me well for 18 years. One should be very cautious in making assumptions about people they do not know. I look forward to seeing what lies ahead with the younger runes. I see all here as sons and daughters of Odin worthy of respect and counsel. No Counsel in and of itself is bad. However the sources may be inadequate. I take pride in listening to all who post and try to answer all who post with me. But rest assured I am no Nube. FAR from it. As to Wicca, I think wiccans should be blood eagled right along side New Age Universalists. ;-) I have no time for these wannabes and losers who pervert the faith. I wish to dedicate them all to Odin. Ours is not a pacifist faith. I am of the Vlad Tepes Dracula School of warfare. He may not have been an Odinsit, but he sure knew how to make a point. ;-)

Last edited by Ravenwolf on Sun May 11, 2014 12:02 am, edited 5 times in total.

Sat May 10, 2014 9:32 pm
Profile WWW

YEEEEP! They do more damage than they even care to realize .

Sat May 10, 2014 9:42 pm

I was 7 at the time I saw my mother create hers. I've never done so. I just remebered her reverence for it and decided to share.

Fri May 23, 2014 1:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]