The ODIN BROTHERHOOD: A Pagan Secret Society
http://odinbrotherhoodforum.com/

Younger FuÞark vs Elder FuÞark
http://odinbrotherhoodforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3923
Page 1 of 1

Author:  thunaraz [ Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:19 am ]
Post subject:  Younger FuÞark vs Elder FuÞark

The elder FuÞark is a lot more common then the younger FuÞark. Wich makes the Elder more interesting to learn. Are there some good reasons to learn the younger FuÞark too?

Author:  Ravenwolf [ Fri May 09, 2014 3:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Younger FuÞark vs Elder FuÞark

I have been strudying the younger lately and they speak well to me. The younger are a more streamlined source of Runes. I am begining to like them better than the Elder, though I have worked with the elder for many years, the Younger call to me. The set I made are very powerful. I was going to use YEW wood, but settled on Oak as YEw does not grow where I live.

Author:  sweinodinsson [ Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Younger FuÞark vs Elder FuÞark

I have not spent as much time as I should learning the runes. For the past year, I have been studying the Elder Futhark. It makes sense to me; however, that the Odin Brotherhood and others use the Younger Futhark. After all, it is the last set that was in use. I wish I knew more.

Author:  OdinBrotherhood [ Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Younger FuÞark vs Elder FuÞark

Yes, we use the Younger Futhark only. When we began, it was the only system used then, and it is the only system we use now.

If you use the runes for divination purposes, be careful. Most books on the subject are useless.

I cannot speak with authority on this subject, but these are my recommendations.

Use the Younger Futhark.

Let the rite be performed by a woman only. Men fight wars. Women deal in mysteries.

The woman should be an elder who is beyond the years of childbearing. Her only meat should be animal hearts (This is from the saga)

Carve the runes on wood from trees that have borne fruit.

When used, redden the runes with blood.

Ask yes or no questions.

Cast all the runes on to a white cloth. Read the answer from the configuration.

These are my personal suggestions.

Author:  Tyrsman [ Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Younger FuÞark vs Elder FuÞark

dainc87 wrote:
I have not spent as much time as I should learning the runes. For the past year, I have been studying the Elder Futhark. It makes sense to me; however, that the Odin Brotherhood and others use the Younger Futhark. After all, it is the last set that was in use. I wish I knew more.

I felt drawn to the Elder. To me they are they are more primal. If I were to desire to use them for divination purposes I would probably go with the Younger though because they seem more "technical". If you continue to study the Elder runes perhaps you might want to expand your research of each rune to include its evolution from Elder to Younger. I think to just concentrate on one or the other (which I am guilty of myself) would be akin to studying the caterpillar but not the butterfly...why only seek half of an answer to a mystery?

Author:  sweinodinsson [ Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Younger FuÞark vs Elder FuÞark

Good point. Thanks Tyrsman. I have actually read several books about them by Edred Thorson where I learned the history of the different rune sets. I will do exactly what you said. It should help me in my meditation of the runes. Thanks again.

Author:  Tyrienne [ Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Younger FuÞark vs Elder FuÞark

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
Yes, we use the Younger Futhark only. When we began, it was the only system used then, and it is the only system we use now.

If you use the runes for divination purposes, be careful. Most books on the subject are useless.

I cannot speak with authority on this subject, but these are my recommendations.

Use the Younger Futhark.

Let the rite be performed by a woman only. Men fight wars. Women deal in mysteries.

The woman should be an elder who is beyond the years of childbearing. Her only meat should be animal hearts (This is from the saga)

Carve the runes on wood from trees that have borne fruit.

When used, redden the runes with blood.

Ask yes or no questions.

Cast all the runes on to a white cloth. Read the answer from the configuration.

These are my personal suggestions.


Why thank you! My rune skills aren't too shabby and actually did improve after I began menopause. This was good to read!

Author:  sweinodinsson [ Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Younger FuÞark vs Elder FuÞark

I studied the Elder Futhark and read all sorts of books. Several months ago, I made a set of younger futhark runes from an apple branch. I stopped reading books about the subject and started practicing. The insight that I have gained has been interesting. I am a beginner in the use of the runes, but it is amazing when you stop asking people questions and reading books and start asking the runes questions and reading THEM. I am not talking about some crazy mystical/spiritual experience. For me it has been "insightful" is the best word that I can use to describe this new journey. All anyone can really do is point a person in the right direction. Even Odin learned the runes from experiencing them. I do not fully understand it all, but approaching anything in life with respect will have some sort of benefit.

Author:  Tyrsman [ Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Younger FuÞark vs Elder FuÞark

sweinodinsson wrote:
I stopped reading books about the subject and started practicing. The insight that I have gained has been interesting. I am a beginner in the use of the runes, but it is amazing when you stop asking people questions and reading books and start asking the runes questions and reading THEM. I am not talking about some crazy mystical/spiritual experience. For me it has been "insightful" is the best word that I can use to describe this new journey. All anyone can really do is point a person in the right direction. Even Odin learned the runes from experiencing them.

I think this is probably one of the best pieces of advice when it comes to working with the runes. While it's very important to know about the runes before picking them up the journey cannot continue without taking the next step.

Author:  Fand [ Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Younger FuÞark vs Elder FuÞark

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
Yes, we use the Younger Futhark only. When we began, it was the only system used then, and it is the only system we use now.

If you use the runes for divination purposes, be careful. Most books on the subject are useless.

I cannot speak with authority on this subject, but these are my recommendations.

Use the Younger Futhark.

Let the rite be performed by a woman only. Men fight wars. Women deal in mysteries.

The woman should be an elder who is beyond the years of childbearing. Her only meat should be animal hearts (This is from the saga)

Carve the runes on wood from trees that have borne fruit.

When used, redden the runes with blood.

Ask yes or no questions.

Cast all the runes on to a white cloth. Read the answer from the configuration.

These are my personal suggestions.

Most of your suggestions make sense to me, but why do you suggest using only the younger futhark? Yes, you said it was the only set in use at the time the OB was formed, but why not the elder?
Personally, I'm drawn to the elder, and always have been. The younger has not in any way called out to me, though the intuitive arts always have. I see mostly in dream, and sometimes have success through a meditative state. I am female, but not an elder, and have had this draw to the mysteries since my earliest childhood memories... Who are from a very young age. What is the reason for only an elder past childbearing age to practice such things?

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/