View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
33rd Rune 

Can someone help me understand further. The spear point with 33rd rune, Gar, last rune.

Last edited by Vanir21 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:24 am

I don't yet have any more information than I am sure you can find with a simple browser search, but I am looking. This rune is incredibly interesting and because of its history in Celtic Tuatha de Danaan mythology (a personal favorite), I will research the rune further and see if I can find anything to help you. I am not quite sure what you are asking for though. Could you clarify what it is that you don't understand about the rune or what info you are seeking in particular?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Oh Thanks RedV. Hope I get this right. Gar rune is blank but means Odinn. Gar is also Wryd which I think means the Mother of all. It is very exciting to me because I did not realize how far back our family lines went. We appear to be named after the spear. What I don't know is , if it's Germanic, it may mean strong spear or sure spear or Odin's spear, which makes us weapon of Odin or to Odin. If Celtic it means Spirit of the Spear or creation, begining and end. The start of and end of life. A circle or the Mother of Spirit. Soo excited to know for sure if possible. Going to Norse area of country to uncover more. I've been looking into Celtic history last few days and find alot. Still working on conclusion. Thanks for your inspiration.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:40 am

Found this- Apparently the French people asimilated the Celtic( Cel actually means Hidden) as well as Germanic people and renamed them in French, yes to hide them further. Because Celtic is refererring to Keltoi, they maybe misguidedly named but anyone with red in their genes is in a class themselves. The original Cel or Kel genes come from north and south of pyrennes area and returned there. Basque in that. {{{Winks}}}

Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:27 am

Vanir21 wrote:
I am checking into everything I can with an open mind. Celtic has a slight variation. I think the spear is an emblem in every early culture with several interpretations. Freud of course would say it's a fallic symbol. But as an actual Spear, prehistorical weapon used to start and sometimes end a battle, or a magic or advanced weapon beyond our understanding and technology or as a person or descendents from people, a "hidden" people who are a secret weapon of Odin.
I think that to put Runes on the point of a spear,( which is a rune symbol it's self), and that he had pierced himself with it could be symbolic as well as hanging on a tree. Where I became most astounded was with the last rune, because it is the Rune most powerful of All. I understood it to be symbolic of Odin himself or Wyrd in Celtic backgrounds. The Begining and the End.
I'm actually travelling to an area of the country that has people with more background and hope to find some answers there.
So still reasearching and undoubtedly editing.

Best of luck with your search, hope you have a great trip :)
Here is what I know about the 33rd Rune, Gar and I hope this helps. It is from the Anglo-Saxon/ Northumbrian set and is not present in the Elder, Younger Futhark or any other rune set. Gar is said to "contain all other runes" and it can be seen as the last and the first rune interchangeably. As to its symbology as Odin's spear, it will be interesting to see what you come up with in your research. It sounds as though you hope this rune may answer some questions about your ancestry? I hope you find some writings to back up your instincts around Gar. But if not, your musings about the meanings of Gar may end up leading you to something else that is important for you to know.

(Btw, to say something is a phallic symbol without sharing the context in which it is used, is incorrect. Symbology is dependent on the context in which it is used. Without any context, it is just a spear. Everything penis shaped is not a phallic symbol. Something can be symbolic to you because of how you interpreted it and that interpretation IS the context. But something on its own, is just the object itself.)

Wyrd is from Anglo-Saxon Germanic paganism and is very similar to beliefs around fate and destiny in Norse and Celtic paganism. But wyrd is a concept and NOT a person or god. Wyrd can be seen as fate, all the possibilities of one moment or of a single life, the past, present and future, how the threads of millions of interactions in the movements of the life of all beings affects all other beings. A wonderful book that explains Wyrd from an Anglo Saxon point of view, is titled The Way of Wyrd by Brian Bates. It's a fictional story but based on actual Anglo Saxon writings on magic and spirituality from around 1000 years ago.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:59 am

Vanir21 wrote:
Found this- Apparently the French people asimilated the Celtic( Cel actually means Hidden) as well as Germanic people and renamed them in French, yes to hide them further. Because Celtic is refererring to Keltoi, they maybe misguidedly named but anyone with red in their genes is in a class themselves. The original Cel or Kel genes come from north and south of pyrennes area and returned there. Basque in that. {{{Winks}}}

Yes, it does seem that Irish people are more genetically Basque than Celtic (http://hubpages.com/hub/Irish-Blood-Genetic-Identity) but historic proto-Celtic and Celtic people originally came from Hallstatt, Austria and as well as parts of Southern Germany, France, Switzerland, etc. Just some random history geek facts, fyi :) http://www.ancient.eu.com/celt/, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallstatt_culture,

Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:21 am

It's all very interesting isn't it V? I think you and I were meant to have a conversation about the basques and the celts and the "negativity" of it all. {{wink}} shhhhhhh.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:23 am

I did not mean to imply anything "negative" regarding Irish Basque heritage- at all! The connection between the two cultures is a fascinating and wonderful part of Irish AND Basque lineage. Yet this seems to be more of a discussion between you two rather than history, so I won't post again. :)

Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:07 pm

Autumnapples, that was in reference to a conversation in speculations titled Norsemen,
Cavemen, gods...something like that...I can't remember exactly. I am so sorry it came across to you as a comment about your post. I love your post. It seems that you and I have similar historical interests. Please help with this thread. I love any new info. Also along these topic lines, if you have interest, search M1000 on the forum. He has some wonderful historical posts. He's a wealth of info.

Now, back to that rune! I'm going to research a bit this week.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:57 pm

RedValkyrie wrote:
Autumnapples, that was in reference to a conversation in speculations titled Norsemen,
Cavemen, gods...something like that...I can't remember exactly. I am so sorry it came across to you as a comment about your post. I love your post. It seems that you and I have similar historical interests. Please help with this thread. I love any new info. Also along these topic lines, if you have interest, search M1000 on the forum. He has some wonderful historical posts. He's a wealth of info.

Now, back to that rune! I'm going to research a bit this week.

I am so sorry that i took that post to be directed at me! Oh dear... :) Thanks for clearing that up and for the recommendation to check out M1000. There are so many similarities between the Celts and the Norse, it's a fascinating topic... I will research that rune too... most of my info on the 33rd rune comes from Nigel Pennick although I haven't researched Freya Aswan's interpretation of Gar.. I don't think she uses anything other than the Elder and Younger Futhark but I am not sure... and will find out. Looking forward to your next post! :)

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:15 pm

Thank both of you! I get reading and trying to connect all the info I read, I don't always get it right. So thanks for the information, very helpful. My Freud comment was mostly a joke but thanks for clarification. I'm almost never offended and correction is welcome. I need to move this convo to speculations for another reason. Hope to see you there . Thanks.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:54 pm

Vanir21 wrote:
Thank both of you! I get reading and trying to connect all the info I read, I don't always get it right. So thanks for the information, very helpful. My Freud comment was mostly a joke but thanks for clarification. I'm almost never offended and correction is welcome. I need to move this convo to speculations for another reason. Hope to see you there . Thanks.

You're very kind! And I will check out the "speculations" board when I get a chance :)

Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:23 am

I have this site with info - celtic-germanic.blogspot.com/2013/02gar-wodan-parsifals-graal-rune.html

Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:41 am

Vanir21 wrote:
I have this site with info - celtic-germanic.blogspot.com/2013/02gar-wodan-parsifals-graal-rune.html

Oh great, thx Vanir21- I will go and look at that site

Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:16 pm

From the Northumbrian rune set - Gar to me is a guardian at the gate. A spearman and a farer of powerful places.
I see it as related to Stan, the foundation stone.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:05 pm

I refer to this page a great deal when trying to explain any of the Runes of the greater Futhark: http://www.northernshamanism.org/the-futhorc-runes.html

From personal experience, whenever I draw Gar in a pull- I always feel it to mean "This issue is in the hands of the Gods, concentrate your energies on other matters."

It's like a "The Gods are taking care of this." Rune for me- and even if the outcome appears negative at first in real life, I accept both positive and negative immediate outcomes from Gar to eventually lead to a greater good.

(However, Gar is usually exceptionally positive for me.)

Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]