View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Inquiry about the Meanings of the Younger Futhark 

Where is a good source on the meaninings of the Younger futhark, other than Edred thorssons Northern Magic. I have that source, it provides a little bit of knowledge but not too much on the meanings and magical uses as I would like. I am still new to these runes, and have used them a little. I desire to look into more about these runes however. They appear to be the leaner meaner version of the elder Futhark, with some similarities and combinations of the same, but the sources I have on this set do not say much.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:01 am
Profile WWW

The following two books go into some detail concerning the Younger Futhark as well as the Elder and are relatively inexpensive. I bought them from Amazon and highly recommend reading them before reading anything else on the Runes, especially "the Rune Primer" (dispels several "myths" about the Runes).

1. The Rune Primer: A Down to Earth Guide to the Runes (Paperback)
by Sweyn Plowright (Author)

Historical facts about the runes in plain English. This book looks at what we really know about them and how we know it. There is also a discussion of the popular authors of esoteric runology, and a chapter exposing the myths and misconceptions about runes perpetuated in many popular rune manuals. The Primer will provide you with a basic factual foundation of rune knowledge, and enable you to sort the useful gems from the rubbish in your future investigations.

and

2. Rudiments of Runelore: by Stephen Pollington

This book provides a comprehensive introduction to the Runes and is well researched.

As I said earlier, these attempt to dispel some myths about the Runes and provide some insight into some authors depictions and interpretation of the Runes and thier personal motivations in doing so.

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 am

I have not heard of these titles, but I will need to add these to my library! I appreciate the information, and am always looking for the best sources sans New Age or other additions to the mix. I have rea many books on the topic, but few TALK to me. I am always using them on my own and the more you use them, the more they communicater with you, but the Younger ones are newer to me. Thanks for the tip Brother! Good seeing you about this place as well.

Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:23 pm
Profile WWW

One of the real problems you will face is the fact that our understanding of the Elder Futhark si shaped mostly by triangulating lingusitically and poetically from the Younger and Old English Futharks.

Most of what I hve been able to piece together from the Younger Futhark hs come from the Eddas and Sagas (Skirnismal, Sigdrifuma, Egil's Saga, and the like). My suggestion is that you probably want to track down Sigdrifumal in the original Old Norse, read it in English while referrking to key terms in the original, and meditate on the relevant Rune poems.

Finally *all* Indo-European magic was mostly based on the spoken word. The Runes are additional vehicles and anchors for that spoken word. I would recommend reading the analysis of Alvismal from "How to Kill a Dragon" by Calvert Watkins too. FInally I would recommend doing an in-depth study of Hattatal (Anthony Faulkes' translation of Edda includes that) and Egill's Saga.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:28 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you for this suggestion Brother. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on this topic in posts to come!

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:44 pm
Profile WWW

I know that this isn’t the answer you’re looking for, but I believe it to be the truth—so here goes…

You do not need or want a book that will tell you “the meanings of the Runen”. Quite the opposite! Books that purport to provide you this service will only hamper your understanding of these mysteries. Here’s what I suggest you do instead:

Learn a method of “becoming” the Rune. There are a number of methods by which one might do this. My personal favourite is Runenyoga; but you’ll have to experiment and, by experience, figure out which one works best for you. Once you have found the method that works for you spend a certain amount of time (I usually give myself a month) to focus on one particular stave. “Experience” the staves in Fuþork order. When you come to the last stave begin again at the first—I guarantee that you’ll discover things you ‘missed’ the first time around. Repeat this cycle over and over until you are wearing your Hel shoes. In this way you will discover the authentic mysteries in an organic fashion rather than to just memorize what some writer thinks you ought to believe.

If you consider every known Runenmeister in history from Bure to List, from Wiligut to Hafskjold, from Thorrson to Camp you’ll realize that this is what every one of them did. All the other writers out there (Gundarsson, Aswynn, Butcher, et al.) only took the ideas laid out by the masters and threw their personal spins & agendas on to someone else’s work. I don’t know about you, but I would prefer to be part of the former group—although there’s plenty of room in the world for people who are satisfied with the latter!

Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:51 pm
Profile WWW

I would agree with Irmin that books will not lead you to the runes. At best they can provide some ideas and illuminate the path but they must be sought by the individual.

What I do like about Pollington's book, however, is the fact that it lists the rune poems and a lot of supplimental material in the original languages with either facing page or tandem translations. I would recommend it for this reason.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]