View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
House Elf 

I have a house elf. I've lived in this house - home - for just over three years. I noticed his presence on the first day we moved in. He's naughty, not harmful. Things go missing and then they show up - I gave my son some money to get his hair cut. He put it on the kitchen bench and came back after about three minutes. It was gone. He found it outside by the barbeque when he fed the dog. Over the course of about two weeks, socks went missing. i found them in a pile in the corner of my sons bedroom. Books, cell phones, he's not picky. Nothing too heavy.

Usually when we are rushing I can't find the keys to the house or the car. Then they show up in bizarre places - the bathroom, on the floor by the TV. I don't get angry with him. It's his home too.

Four nights ago, I saw him for the first time. Only a fleeting second as I walked past my study. When I stopped and went back he was gone. He's been very quiet since then. I don't know how to let him know I'm not angry with him. Should I leave him some food? Will he stay? I feel safe when he's here. Since I saw him my health hasn't been great.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:19 am

Norse Storm Dragon wrote:
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Very interesting, I would love to hear more about your hearthvættir.

My suggestion would be that you research "tomten". I do not have many notes on these beings, but I am happy to share what I do have. Unfortunately I am unable to cite the source (poor note taking on my part):

The Tomten
Tomten are a type of house-ghost or house-wight who's name means roughly, "homestead man". They are similar to the Norwegian Napfhans and the Kobolds of Germany. Known by other names such as Gardvord ("farm guardian"), and Tunkall ("yard fellow"), they associate themselves with either a home itself or a specific family that catch their fancy. A happy Tomte will help with the housework, guard and protect the home, and bring luck to the family. Unhappy Tomten tend to hide objects, and play tricks.

One of the most important times to give attention to a Tomte of the home is during Yule-Tide, in which they expect, in many stories, tales, and folklore, that they receive a bowl of porridge or oatmeal with a good-sized pad of butter.

The oldest literary reference, given by Reimund Kvideland and Henning Sehmsdorf, to the farm sprite is found in a version of the Saga of Olaf Tryggvasson (twelfth century), in which one is referred to as Armaður ("hearth man").

Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:12 am

Tyrsman - thank you for your guidance regarding my housewight. I researched and read and found that there is a lot of information (some helpful (although repetitive) and some not so helpful!) until I finally came upon something I felt comfortable with. I made an offering of alcohol and left if for three days. Apparently I did well, he seems to be happy with that and it all but disappeared over the three days, the remainder I offered up to my ancestors. Our house is once more calm and peaceful. Things are as they should be and it appears that he has taken to helping with the housekeeping - the amount of dog hair has minimised (it is shedding season where we are).

Thank you again for your guidance, it was most appreciated --- and I learnt an awful lot in my reading. Blessings, Storm

Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:13 am

Excellent! I am glad that I was able to be of assistance. Anytime we can increase our knowledge of the lore it is good, when you can immediately use that knowledge to resolve an issue it is doubly so.

Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:07 am

Ha - he is active again Tyrsman! The last couple of days he has been bold and I have caught him from the corner of my eye many, many times. But i don't think he's unhappy, just a little mischievous! A game player ... perhaps a gift from Loki? Storm

Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:33 am
Site Admin

I would definitely leave a food offering. A bowl of milk is common.

In noble traditions, hospitality to a house guest is always a virtue.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:47 pm

Thank you OB. I hadn't thought of milk. I hope he enjoys it. I must say I am enjoying his company - it's been a while since I've played hide and seek! Storm

Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:39 pm

Norse Storm Dragon wrote:
Ha - he is active again Tyrsman! The last couple of days he has been bold and I have caught him from the corner of my eye many, many times. But i don't think he's unhappy, just a little mischievous! A game player ... perhaps a gift from Loki? Storm

That is great news!

I cannot help but wonder what has brought about the increase his recent activity. It is now winter there in the southern hemisphere...perhaps his activity level is related to something environmental? The other possibility that comes to mind is that he is responding to a need that he (or she I suppose) senses. I hope everything is going well for you and I am glad to hear that your "little helper" is there, no matter what the reason.

Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:03 pm

Tyrsman I was wondering that myself. My brother came to visit who hasn't seen my children for 8yrs - perhaps it was that, or that I have been doing a big cleanout - a direction from Frigg. Perhaps he is here at her behest to help me?

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:00 pm

My money is on the cleanout. It seems to me that a House Wight would be interested in cleaning and organization.

Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:50 am

From my learning of Trolldom I can tell you that the Tomte is one of the most important wights there are. The Tomte greatly influences the luck of the home it's attached to. Unhappy Tomte, unhappy life. Happy Tomte, happy life. Leave it little offerings out on Thursdays (The most important day of the week in Trolldom)

Not a lot of houses have a Tomte in America, if yours does then that's great. If yours doesn't you can get a Trollmand/kvinna to get one for you.

I wouldn't suggest this for apartment people. More for permanent home people. Just because (per my understanding) they start with the house not with the person (commonly)

Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:00 pm

Hail!

My family have house spirit guests too. In one
house we lived in, our flowers were watered
every single morning, without my wife or I doing
it. In my last house my special knife vanished &
came back 3 days later..

They are funny little beings and helpful. I am
hoping the new house we just moved into has
a little helper, or that my family's helper is with
us still. Nothing has happened as of yet :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a special little
friend! lol..

[edit with this addition below]

Last night one of my shelving units in my bedroom
fell over on it's own. When I cleaned up the mess
from the mysterious crash this morning I noticed
a few things dissapeared.. Seems my family's little
friend has moved into this house with us!

Last night in the kitchen an object fell off a shelf
on it's own as well.. Our guest is friendly and has
a sense of humor.

Bucky

Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:06 pm

That's great news Bucky, congratulations!

Do you leave him any type of offerings?

I was considering wights the other day and it seems to me that when the conversion occurred house wights went from being welcomed helpers and guests to being relabled as something sinister. Surely your friend would be labled as a poltergeist by someone who was not of our folk and did not welcome him.

Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:46 pm

Ah Bucky, it is good to know someone else has a live-in guest! My son is now privy to our house elf's goings on - he witnessed movement in my daughter's room last night - gladly he wasn't freaked out by it as I talk often of our house elf. He is rather intrigued by it all ... Storm.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:58 am

Hail to both of you :)

I'm grateful we have our house guest. I
think of whomever he is as an ancestral
helper or maybe an ancestor. You never
really know. I've actually been thinking
of making him a little home within a box
in my closet. In an old house years ago
my wife and I would leave our guest milk
and other small food treats.

Bucky

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:39 pm

If only my children were as helpful as our own wight (we refer to him/her lovingly as the Brownie)!

Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]